Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
brianm
Brian Boru

Location: The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
brianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
[Agent] Cheryl T. Pillsbury

This thread was moved from the Koval Publishing thread and could be confusing since it doesn't appear, initially, to be about Cheryl Pillsbury aka Cheryl T. Pillsbury.

I am taking the liberty of copying UJ's post from the Makinglight forum to put this thread in context. (I hope. )
Quote:
http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight...48.html#009448

We have Cheryl T. Pillsbury, Agent.

Cheryl is a fee-charger who has published her own work with:

A) XLibris Corporation, a pay-to-play vanity
B) PublishAmerica, a notorious vanity press
(twice!)
C) Outskirts Press

Who or what is Outskirts, you may ask? Yet another pay-to-play vanity press. Look ye at their main page:

The Future of Book Publishing is Here!

- Keep all your rights and more of the profits

- Set your own royalty and retail price

- Interior formatting & cover design is included

- Free marketing COACH after publication

- Print runs from 1 to 1000s

Ms. Pillsbury's favorite, however, is Roval Publishing, another POD pay-to-play vanity.

One of Cheryl Pillsbury's clients is the next character in our cast: Lanaia Lee.

Lanaia is not only an author, but a poet. And Cheryl seems to be not only Lanaia's agent, but co-author. Note that Lanaia's poetry allegedly appears in at least one of Cheryl's Angus Grady books.

There's more: A G Press, owned by Cheryl Pillsbury, appears to be involved in some manner in preparing Lanaia's forthcoming (yet oddly familiar)Of Atlantis for Roval Publishing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by absitinvidia View Post
Well, they've apparently agreed to publish an obviously plagiarized work, so I wouldn't consider them a very good option.

For more information, including links to the "new" version:
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007...r-plagairists/

Here's the original work: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...45494788&itm=4, scroll through to the first page of the story.

Sorry if this is an inappropriate post here, but it seemed worth mentioning.
She's adamant it's her work.

http://www.alongstoryshort.net/LanaiaLee.html

You can't go much lower than this, IMO.

Perhaps, this is why Roval's bookstore is under construction? Bit too late. They are still responsible.

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Last edited by brianm; 10-14-2007 at 10:59 PM.
brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
BarbJ
practical experience, FTW

BarbJ is a glorious beacon of lightBarbJ is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm View Post
She's adamant it's her work.
Well, the names are different. :
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

absitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Well, the names are different. :
most of them - although she did miss a few in her search and replace!
absitinvidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Check out Lanaia's agent, Cheryl Pillsbury

Notice her stunning successes in selling books for her clients. Not only has she racked up a sale to Roval, she's managed to place books with PublishAmerica.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

absitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admiration
it just gets better

Now she's saying that she hired Christopher Hill to ghost write her book and he's responsible for the plagiarism.

Wonder if she's talking about the same Christopher Hill who used to run the Hill and Hill Literary Agency?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
BarbJ
practical experience, FTW

BarbJ is a glorious beacon of lightBarbJ is a glorious beacon of light
This is getting good. I think I forgot to say welcome, CaliGirl85, and to you too, Absitinvidia.
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #7
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've taken the liberty of blogging this over at Making Light.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:12 AM   #8
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ha! I was just coming here to look up the Christopher Hill connection!

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:21 AM   #9
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Now she's saying that she hired Christopher Hill to ghost write her book and he's responsible for the plagiarism.

Wonder if she's talking about the same Christopher Hill who used to run the Hill and Hill Literary Agency?
Yes, she is, and I think she's telling the truth.

Check the Writer Beware blog later today.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #10
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
Yes, she is, and I think she's telling the truth.

Check the Writer Beware blog later today.

- Victoria
She might be telling the truth about this, but given that she also said, "I have proof of my copt right and this work is totally mine. I guess some one wants a law suit," I'm finding it hard to muster up any sympathy for her. Either she "wrote" it or Christopher Hill did, but either way, she lied.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #11
Voyager
Ribbed for your pleasure.

Voyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVoyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVoyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVoyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVoyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVoyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVoyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVoyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVoyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVoyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVoyager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is so sad for everyone involved, and embarrassing.

"I'd rather shoot myself in the face than have another discussion about the difference between one category of literature and another." Colson Whitehead

facebook.com/jes.bosworth
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #12
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Quote:
"I have proof of my copt right and this work is totally mine. I guess some one wants a law suit,"
Where did she say this?

(Googling on "Copt right" gives me a bunch of stuff about Egyptian religious groups....)
Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #13
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It was in her message board/chat box. I don't think it's there anymore, though.

Website | Twitter
Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #14
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
Where did she say this?

(Googling on "Copt right" gives me a bunch of stuff about Egyptian religious groups....)
It was on the chat log on her page. It only seems to go back three or four pages, though, and it's gone now. Her early posts all stated that the work was totally hers, she had spent two years working on it, that she had witnesses who would prove that she had written the book. If you go back to the dearauthor article, you can see where people have copied these statements into the comments section.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #15
xhouseboy
In the Yellow Woods

xhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberQuinn View Post
Ha! I was just coming here to look up the Christopher Hill connection!

so was I.

I saw the name, and thought 'surely can't be one and the same.'

Is there no end to this man's talents.

ETA: if he wrote this and then flogged it to her in the full knowledge that she intended to publish, isn't he also up shit creek? I sincerely hope so.

Professor of English, Ohio University.

Pedantic Alert: The above is quotation #689 from Michael Moncur's (cynical) Quotations.

Last edited by xhouseboy; 10-12-2007 at 01:08 AM.
xhouseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:49 AM   #16
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cheryl Pillsbury has checked in on Making Light (I confirmed that the e-mail address on her post is the same as the one on her "agency" website).

Quote:
My name is Cheryl Pillsbury, published in my own right, I'm also the founder of AG Press which did the work on the book, 'Of Atlantis.' Come to find out from a deep search into this issue, we discovered a former literary agent she worked with on this book gave her advice on how to write the prologue. Come to find out, it is simular to his book. We didn't know this, we don't know him and never did until today. We do apologise for this, we are planning to do a re-write and remedey this issue.

For people who throw stones at glasses houses should be very cautious about speaking before they know the truth. Slander can cause a major lawsuit from the author and the publisher mentioned, because I will make sure they know about this and dear Jane will have nightmares in 10 fold. Yes, I'm Wicca.

I was just informed, the author has already set the motions for the lawsuit, be prepared. You were told by the lawyer not to post anything related to this issue, first amendement does not apply. I have made a copy of this site for proof, see you soon. Have a ducky day.

Website | Twitter
Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 AM   #17
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I was just informed, the author has already set the motions for the lawsuit, be prepared. You were told by the lawyer not to post anything related to this issue, first amendement does not apply. I have made a copy of this site for proof, see you soon. Have a ducky day.
This is hilarious!
Julie Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #18
Bubastes
bananaed

Another comment from the "agent" -- I think this was meant for Jane from the Dear Author website, though?

Quote:
James MacDonald, thank you for your words. It is true what Mr. Hill did to Mary, we found the proof and plan to to solve the problem. I have publishing contracts with four publishers, and nice in their way, but Roval is my favorite, because they work with the author one on one. If I could find Mr. Hill, he would sued to no end for what has caused Mary. Yes she's in a wheelchair because she suffered three strokes and had six miscarriages. It's not a ploy, its fact and a hard one for and her husband who suffered permanent injuries leaving him disabled. If anything this should be something to make us stronger, look at what they have succeeded at. Jane should apologize and pray she didn't mean the lawsuit, because Jane was told by attorney not to post anything related to this issue until we knew the truth, oh well. It shows some people will never grow up.
The brazenness of this scam agent is just unbelieveable.

Website | Twitter
Old 10-12-2007, 02:01 AM   #19
herdon
What's up?

herdon has a spectacular auraherdon has a spectacular aura
They are now whipping out the witchcraft on the blog James posted. This is the most fun I've had since yesterday!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #20
xhouseboy
In the Yellow Woods

xhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolness
What's a ducky day?

Professor of English, Ohio University.

Pedantic Alert: The above is quotation #689 from Michael Moncur's (cynical) Quotations.
xhouseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #21
LordChess
Sockpuppet

LordChess is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhouseboy View Post
What's a ducky day?
A day when angry, clueless ducks rain on your parade?
LordChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 AM   #22
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhouseboy View Post
What's a ducky day?
That's when people throw things at your head and you have to keep ducking.

This is getting well away from Roval Publishing. Maybe Ms. Pillsbury, Agent, needs a thread of her own?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:12 AM   #23
Queen of Swords
starting over

Queen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
[Agent] Cheryl T. Pillsbury

Quote:
I will make sure they know about this and dear Jane will have nightmares in 10 fold. Yes, I'm Wicca.
What is she doing, putting a hex on someone?

"I curse you with bell and plagiarized book and candle!"
Queen of Swords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 AM   #24
brianm
Brian Boru

Location: The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
brianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
That's when people throw things at your head and you have to keep ducking.

This is getting well away from Roval Publishing. Maybe Ms. Pillsbury, Agent, needs a thread of her own?
I think that a wonderful idea. Perhaps, other PA authors will benefit from reading a thread about how much Miss Pillsbury doesn't know about the real publishing world and have second thoughts about opening an "agency" or publishing service.

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell
brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:38 AM   #25
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
My name is Cheryl Pillsbury, published in my own right, I'm also the founder of AG Press which did the work on the book, 'Of Atlantis.' Come to find out from a deep search into this issue, we discovered a former literary agent she worked with on this book gave her advice on how to write the prologue. Come to find out, it is simular to his book. We didn't know this, we don't know him and never did until today. We do apologise for this, we are planning to do a re-write and remedey this issue.
Mary Kellis, aka "Lanaia Lee," at AG Press: http://www.agpress.50megs.com/whats_new.html
Julie Worth is offline   Reply With Quote