First person present tense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheliaRudesill

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.moonstrucknovelists.com
Hi! I'm new here. Looks like a nice place to be.

I wanted to challenge myself and write my third novel in first person present tense.

Have you tried it or have you read a good novel that is written that way? Or does it drive you, as a reader, crazy? I'd enjoy any feedback.

Thanks!

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
The first person/third person part doesn't bother me. I personally can't stand present tense. I'm not really sure why. It just tends to read odd to me. L.E. Modesitt Jr. wrote a few books in one of his series in present tense when the previous ones had been in past, and it made me stop reading it even though I loved the series.

However, when it's done well, it's not noticeable. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is in present tense, if I remember correctly, and I didn't even realize until a slower part of the book. I remember I flipped back to see if it had been that way the whole time.

Oh, and Welcome!

SheliaRudesill said:

I wanted to challenge myself and write my third novel in first person present tense.

Have you tried it or have you read a good novel that is written that way? Or does it drive you, as a reader, crazy? I'd enjoy any feedback.

Thanks!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My first novel, The Pacific Between, is written in 1st person present tense. It'll be out this year.

A recent book I just read written that way was The Time Traveler's Wife. In general, I think it's a good book. The issues I had with the book had nothing to do with 1st person, present tense.

House of Sand and Fog is also 1st person, present tense. Great book.

The Rule of Four (which I'm reading now) is also 1st person, present tense. So far I'm enjoying it.

Writing Again

Living Life In The Sandbox
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like novels written in present tense. Screenplays are written in present tense, that is the way it is done. Novels make lousy screenplays and screenplays make lousy novels: Even when they tell the same story they are two different animals.

People do not normally talk in present tense, when they do they normally mean the immediate future, "I am going to the store, wanna join me?" does not mean the speaker is walking away while talking, it means they will go in a few minutes.

Some things become more difficult to do in present tense and some of that has to do with what a novel does best: Get inside the character.

I did not expect anyone to be in the study. I had entered this room a thousand times and no one had been there. Not since uncle Jeremy had left home to go exploring Africa six years ago had anyone so much as bothered to dust it. I had often wondered what had happened to him, and I had asked once or twice over the years but no one seemed to care.

When I opened the door there was someone there, in fact it was uncle Jeremy, but he wasn't going to tell me what had happened to him over the last few years, or over the last few minutes. Uncle Jeremy was dead.

In order to do the same thing in present tense you have to write the first senctence in present tense, which would make a silly sounding sentence, then slip into past until you come to the next paragraph then go back to present tense.

To me, even if you get used to reading in present tense every time you have to go to past tense it is jarring.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Not every story can be told in present tense. Obviously, in your case, you're telling us something that has already happened, and it shouldn't be told in present tense.

Present tense has an immediate, real time feel to it. It's best for a story that is unfolding in real time. It actually reads well if you allow yourself to get into that mindset. Note that (as you mention), screenplays are written in present tense. Synopses are also written in present tense. They make for a snappy read. It does move things along, like "and then what happens?"

The problem with past tense is you end up with a lot of unnecessary 'had.'

Actually, in your example you can either start with present participle (I'm not expecting) or past tense (I didn't expect). With present tense you'd also need to rewrite it to give that real-time feel:

I didn't expect anyone to be in the study: I've entered this room a thousand times before and no one was ever there. Not since Uncle Jeremy left home to go exploring Africa six years ago has anyone so much as bothered to dust it. I've often wondered what happened to him, and I've asked once or twice over the years but no one seemed to care.

I open the door and there is someone there. I can't believe it. Uncle Jeremy. But I can see that he's not going to tell me what happened to him over the last few years, or will happen over the next few minutes. Uncle Jeremy is dead.

Mistook

Neverending WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Present tense seems to be catching on lately among writers. When it's done well, I don't mind reading it, but it still feels a little alien, and I always find myself asking why the writer chose present tense.

Action, adventure games (especially the early "text" games that preceded todays video games) always happen in 2nd person present tense:

"You are in a cavern. You see three doors. You can go right. You can go straight. You can go left."

It's the best way to get the player (reader) directly involved, but then again, this is an interactive format. Novels aren't interactive.

I suppose that as you watch a movie on the screen, you are in effect seeing 3rd person (or objective) happen in the present tense, but then again... you are literally watching it... a movie really is playing out in real time.

Does a present tense novel accomplish the same thing? I'm not sure.

Maybe in 20 years, it will all be no big deal. Maybe it's just the shock of the new that doesn't sit right with me about present tense fiction.

I know, though, that reading ordinary past tense, I still feel "in the moment".

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
1st person present tense is hardly new though. For example, Moby Dick.

For me, it does have more of a "in the moment" (movie) feel to it. If it's done well (show vs. tell and the whole shebang), it can be very involving. I think people are just not used to reading present tense... and it may all change now that it's getting more popular...

Denis Castellan

Excuse my French...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.majorden.com
Present tense makes me feel uncomfortable as a reader (never tried it as a writer, anyway).

It sometimes makes me think of a science experiment report : "... the liquid turns blue, I add a drop of blahblahfluorin, the liquid bubbles." and in some stories, it can be interesting and I understand the potential it has.

With French writers, I have the feeling they use it to show off, add a psychological/philosophical touch to their writings, kind of "I was born a writer, I have to write this way, you wouldn't understand why anyway, poor mortal." thing... that's why I generally tend to dislike it.

1st person doesn't bother me, on the contrary. I like reading stories that sound like confessions. You get in the story quite easily, since it's one of the characters who's speaking. It adds another layer of truth to the story like in "it really happened to me" against "A friend of a friend knows a guy..."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Present tense

SheliaRudesill said:

Thanks!

I don't think challenging yourself is a good reason to use a given tense. The deciding factor should be which tense works best for the story.

I've seen present tense work well in a few short stories, but I've yet to find a novel where the writer made it work in any way. It almost always comes across as a gimmick, and one that wears thin awfully fast. I'll sometimes read through a present tense short story, if everything else is done well, but I haven't seen a short story that couldn't have been improved by writing in past tense.

In a novel? To each his own, but only once have a made it through a present tense novel, and that was because the story was good enough to keep me reading, even when I was cursing the writer for using present tense. I won't read another one. There isn't enough money out there to make me read another present tense novel.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
1st person present tense is hardly new though. For example, Moby Dick.

For me, it does have more of a "in the moment" (movie) feel to it. If it's done well (show vs. tell and the whole shebang), it can be very involving. I think people are just not used to reading present tense... and it may all change now that it's getting more popular...

Strictly speaking, Moby Dick really isn't written in present tense, but a very good combination of present and past tense so that the present tense doesn't get overpowering, and so many, many things can be said that couldn't be said using present tense.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
A recent book I just read written that way was The Time Traveler's Wife. In general, I think it's a good book. The issues I had with the book had nothing to do with 1st person, present tense.

Did the problems, perhaps, have to do with grammar and sentence structure? (;

Welcome to the boards! I'm not a big fan of present tense or first person, so putting them together isn't exactly my cup of tea. That being said, I think the choice depends a lot on what your "genre" is. If you're writng a soul-searching, heartfelt "man vs. man" story then sure, it could definitely work. If, on the other hand, you're writing a serial killer running amok around Manhattan and targeting your POV character... I wouldn't find that very effective. All the suspense vanishes.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
1st person , present tense.

Sorry all you nay sayers, but 1st person, present tense can be a good way to tell a story, whether a novel or a short story. The proviso being that it must be the right story and well written. You can't mess it up or the readers get turned off. (As this thread's comments show!)
One reason why you find so many literary stories written in the 1st person present tense is because literary writers like to show that they are 'good' writers!

Do what's best for the story and happy writing!

Writing Again

Living Life In The Sandbox
Registered
Reaction score
JanaLanier said:
Welcome to AW, Shelia!

A quick question -- isn't a novel synopsis supposed to be written in present tense?

I've heard that too, and I don't think it has always been true. A lot has changed over the last twenty years.

Denis Castellan

Excuse my French...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.majorden.com
Sorry all you nay sayers, but 1st person, present tense can be a good way to tell a story
Oh yes, it certainly can be. I guess everything can be done that will find readers who like it.

As far as I'm concerned, I wasn't trying to say "no, it's not a good way, don't do it !", I was just answering the "Or does it drive you, as a reader, crazy?" question.

Today, I read Ray's sample chapter from The Pacific Between. It wasn't before page 6 that I started forgetting about the tense used. And now, honestly, I want to know what's on page 12 (you gotta get your book translated in French, Ray.)

So now I'm not sure if I really don't like present tense. It might just be the books I tried to read, not the tense used in them, finally.

Mistook

Neverending WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I mentioned this on another thread a while back, but it bears repeating. I've noticed for a long time how when people actually tell you informal anecdotes face to face, they usually do so in present tense (and first person).

"So I standing on the corner, buying a hot dog when this clown comes up to me and says..."

So maybe it's true that past tense is a more "formal" way of telling a story. But if that's the case then I wonder if the "formality" of a written novel doesn't somehow spoil the whole point of using present tense.

In other words, do the careful phrasings of a well-planned novel have a way of sapping the immediacy right out of present tense? Or is that at least a pitfall to avoid when writing such a novel?

Last edited:

ironmike

Registered
Reaction score
Past and Present

Screenplays are written is present tense, but the voice-overs are usually written in past tense.

How about a Suspense/Thriller: Present tense during the fast paced life and death scenes. Past tense during the times our hero, flashes back to an earily time while catching his breath.

What say you?

Mike

Anatole Ghio

Ironic Paranormal
Registered
Reaction score
Mistook said:
I mentioned this on another thread a while back, but it bears repeating. I've noticed for a long time how when people actually tell you informal anecdotes face to face, they usually do so in present tense (and first person).

"So I standing on the corner, buying a hot dog when this clown comes up to me and says..."

So maybe it's true that past tense is a more "formal" way of telling a story. But if that's the case then I wonder if the "formality" of a written novel doesn't somehow spoil the whole point of using present tense.

People tend to tell their own stories in present tense because as they tell it, they are associating into the event themselves. In the moment, feeling the same feelings they felt when the event first occured, the story teller is able to comminucate many emotions non-verbally this way... emotions that would need to be verbalized in some way when written down in order to have the same effect.

Personally, I have no problem with either present tense or first person... both have their own strengths and limitations. If you were a begining writer, I would advise against both as the limitiations prove to be too difficult for begining writers to overcome. However, if you are happy with your current skill and feel the story should be told this way, then by all means, tell it the way you feel you should.

- Anatole

SheliaRudesill

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.moonstrucknovelists.com
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. I wanted to write in first person all the more after reading your pros and cons! I even thought about sharing a paragraph or two for you to critique, but when I went back, I saw some flaws and now I'm not so sure I want to continue this way.

My reason for writing in first person, present tense was so the reader would be intimate with my soul-searching protagonist. I wanted the reader to only know what she knew and share in her deep emotional swings.

Guess I'll read some of the books mentioned above and re-read some I have that I think/thought were well written. My story is good or at least my husband thinks so. I don't want to ruin it if first person isn't the best choice.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I think that writing in first person, present tense, can be very hard to do well. That doesn't mean it can't be done, of course. Most writing-type things (my, I'm good with words today) can be done well by the right person. If you think it can work, go for it.

Personally, as a reader, it drives me nuts, and I find it really hard to focus on the story. But readers, like writers, are all different, and there'll be many who enjoy books written in that way.

whitewolfzty

My first novel was written in First person, present tense. I am not sure how it is selling but I've had some very good reviews. The second novel is still in the works and will also be in First Person Present tense, simply because it is the sequel to #1.

fallenangelwriter

Registered
Reaction score
what about third person, present tense? I was having trouble writing my WIP, so i changed it to present tense after reading Snow Crash. it's been working quite well for me, but i keep lapsing into past by accident and having to fix it, which makes me suspect that it's not really present tense that's making it work.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I've written a short story in third person present tense. That tense doesn't come naturally to me, however, and I kept getting my tenses muddled. Had to proof-read it about a million times.

I quite liked the story by the end of the process, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.