BEWARE: Children's Literary Agency (WL Childrens Agency)

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! Being dropped by this agency for being "difficult" is a sure sign that you started asking the right questions, albeit slightly too late to save your cash. Kudos to you for realizing the scam on your own.

Kathystoob

Yea... so after reading this thread...I sent an email to Georgina requesting a detailed accounting of how my fees were spent with dates/names/times for each contact 'made on my behalf' so that I can follow up myself. I'm anticipating no response. I'll share it if I actually receive something but my breath is not being held.

Also wanted to mention something else. About 6 months ago I emailed Georgina and asked that I have my work assigned to another agent...didn't have to be a senior agent...since we clearly have a personality conflict. I was told no. I asked is that because no other agents exist? And I received no response. Senior agent clearly meant ONLY was my guess at the time.

Also, I'm sure Georgina is still on here lurking around under a 'penn name' as she put it. Once the post that stated her last visit was posted she had to have changed that in a hurry so she could be here in stealth mode.

Kathystoob

See below response from Georgina. I have asked for a full refund of all monies paid if they fail to provide information detailing what has been done under this contract...verifiably done. I will be going to the District Attorney's office next and I also let her know that is the next step if I do not hear back with this information in a timely manner. After reading these boards and seeing all the others that basically have paid money to exchange emails in this scam...I will be directing the DA to this site as well for information gathering. If anyone else is interested in being involved, message me. I'm now a completely pissed of NYer and feel this nonsense needs to stop so no one else has to experience this.

"With regard to the publishers we’ve pitched to, unfortunately we no longer send the information out because we have had some overzealous authors make inappropriate calls and we’ve lost some good buyers because of it. We make a commitment to our contacts at the publishers that we will only divulge their names to authors once they are genuinely interested in the manuscript.

Best regards,

Georgina
Senior Agent"

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
"With regard to the publishers we’ve pitched to, unfortunately we no longer send the information out because we have had some overzealous authors make inappropriate calls and we’ve lost some good buyers because of it. We make a commitment to our contacts at the publishers that we will only divulge their names to authors once they are genuinely interested in the manuscript."

That translates out to: "Nope, we didn't actually submit it anywhere. When authors check up on us (since our spectacular lack of results makes 'em suspicious) editors tend to say 'Who? Never heard of 'em!' "

Actually, I have a theory about how these folks do their business. They sharecrop the actual submissions out to n00bies, the folks in Burning Bush, Wyoming, who woke up one morning in and decided to be literary agents. WL Writers Literary Agency (under whatever name) gets 'em to work for free by promising them a cut of anything they sell, without mentioning that their "system" doesn't work. Fletcher sends a query letter (generated by mail merge using the information the author typed in the "Author Intake Form"), which the poor hapless wannabe-agent uses. After a while of this, Fletcher hits the writer up with a great deal ... from a subsidy publisher.

Just guessing, of course. If "Georgina" or "Sherry" wants to drop by to set me right, hey, I'm all ears.

Perhaps the reason "Georgina" or "Sherry" or whoever doesn't want to say where a thing's been submitted is because "she" literally doesn't know.

Why wait? Talk to the DA right now. Send a note to Ann or Victoria ([email protected]) and ask what else you can do. A note to the New York Attorney General (since Fletcher claims to be working out of New York) and the Florida Attorney General (since Fletcher is actually working out of Florida) probably wouldn't be out of place either while you're at it.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

Symphony

Registered
Reaction score
Another one ...

I think it's all been said already, but just to add that I'm also a victim of the CLA, although I hesitate to use the word victim since I admit to going in with my eyes open. However, to an unpublished author their pitch is very impressive and, of course, when it's your first book and they LIKE IT, then why not celebrate? I signed the contract with them as I didn't see anything dodgy in the actual wording (and this was never a problem). I then needed to have a professional edit of my work. I have to say that, since it was my first book, I was quite interested in knowing what a pro would say about it, so I never viewed this money as badly spent. Unfortunately, I've come to wonder how 'realistic' my critique was. I stayed with them for a while, but then of course got the letter asking for money for them to draw up query letters, post to publishers, etc. etc. at which point I withdrew my book (amicably) since I no longer trusted their motives.

Ah well ... it was worth a try and I still don't think I 'lost' any money. Rather, I lost confidence, since I no longer trust the nice things they said about my ms.

What I find harder to believe is why almost every writing magazine I pick up is still advertising their services.

Commiserations to all those who were misled.

Symphony

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
The worst part is not the money they take, but it's the time they steal and hopes and dreams they crush.

Sorry this happened to you. Welcome. Why not post some of your work in Share Your Work and see what folks here think?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Symphony. I hope you find the help around here to restore the confidence they stole from you.

smatsmit

Keep the faith in being unfaithful

This the first post of my life. Bare with me I am writing naked (in the sense of truth). I just completed the first two steps with WL Children's Agency. I actually just recieved the confirmation email that told me to get a 3rd party critique on my work!!!! Riiiiiiight. I actually found this forum looking for information on the company and think the web portal angels were looking out for me. Actually, tonight I recieved that email from Sherry and as I was scrolling through the form letter there was a little blue number 2 sitting in their response to a Q&A. This is the short cut to the link:

link deleted by moderator as inappropriate

May I just say, I am not bilingual, but I don't need to be when it comes to web addresses; they only speak one languge. Thanks web portal angels for saving me! :snoopy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kat Frass

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Smatsmit! I'm sure you enjoy it here. There are some GREAT folks on this board.

BTW - did anyone else notice the naked guy at the bottom of that website? LOL.. He is all crouched over and laying on the ground taking a pic.. but it is obvious he is nekkid.... lol. I just thought that was funny.

shania

CLA advertising

The CLA always advertise in the Writers Forum magazine. (Take a look at the August issue) I contacted the editor of the magazine and asked why was his magazine was promoting a 'con' agency. I told him all the con stories. The guy was very rude to me. He said that he wanted hard evidence and proof that people were being ripped off and that they can see no evidence that they are cons. Unless I can provide this, I shouldn't contact them again. He also said that I shouldn't provide forums as evidence and not believe things posted on them.
I nearly fell for the CLA too until I was warned by an editor who works in LA. They were too good to be true.

shania

I never did subscribe. I brought a copy in July (August issue) after a recommendation.
Yes, it is the British magazine.

Katol

Yeh, right!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, couldn't stop myself from registering so that I could say thanks to basically everyone on this thread (that's the term isn't it?). Having signed my contract with WL on Wednesday I just happened to be surfing the web in my lunch break (well. technically I still had ten minutes to go 'till lunch but my boss is on holiday) and I stumbled over this site. Four hours later (VERY long lunch break) I had finally read every single comment and rushed home to cancel my contract! By the way, it hasn't been mentioned anywhere that the said contract now includes a clause allowing you to terminate it within 72 hours of sending it in! Sadly, since the idiots hadn't even read my MS there were no tears on their side! Anyway, just wanted to add my thanks too - managed to get out of it without spending a Euro/dime! For some one like me who's never been kissed, kicked or run over as far as trying to get into print is concerned it's certainly been an eye opener.

Last edited:

Stone Bridge

Hi, :)

This is my first post, I'm a newbie!
I've just had a narrow escape with WL Children's Agency too, as like Smatsmit I had firstly sent a sample or synopsis if that's right? sorry new to this! :D then I had a reply saying they liked what they had read so far and to send the whole manuscript which I sent, I got a positive reply again saying they would like me to join and also suggesting I get a critique first? This being my first book to get published I thought it all sounded a bit too good to be true? especially after reading some very long emails I realised there was no reference to them having read my work, not even mentioning the title of it, so I smelt a rat, I had wondered if these were an OK agency from there not being any form of address or phone number to get in contact with them? seemed odd.:Shrug:

Glad I hadn't sent any money like Emma, (you must be so mad with them). Your post actually helped me, thank you as I was searching to see if they were legit, and I found this site with you query.

By for now.
SB

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm another who almost took this place as a real agency. I submitted a picture book last week, then discovered the agency was a fake a couple hours later -- first from reading their unbelievably long list of letters from satisfied customers who were glad to pay $80 for a critique and then from seeing what was written about them here.

So I was expecting my "query" to be accepted, and of course it was. I decided to have a little fun and make up another picture book in about ten minutes, "Timmy and the Sinister Ducks," which was as stupid as I could make it. I even purposely addressed Sherry as "sir."

Not surprisingly, they like it.

Timmy and the Sinister Ducks

One warm sunny afternoon, Timmy and his father were
visiting the duck pond. Timmy's father showed him how
to feed bread to the ducks, who gobbled up the bread
like they were starving prisoners of war.

"Not too much, Timmy," said Timmy's father. "Feed
them just enough to keep them alive, but not enough to
actually satisfy them."

"Okay, Dad."

"We strike tomorrow at dawn," said Timmy's father.
Then Timmy suddenly realized it wasn't his father who
had spoken.

But who, then?

"We will eat all the humans."

Timmy looked at one of the ducks with surprise. It
was talking.

No. Not talking. Thinking.

Timmy was reading its mind. The ducks had somehow
developed the power to communicate through thoughts.
And so had Timmy!

"They have kept us down for far too long," thought
the duck. "And they will pay for it. WIth blood."

Suddenly Timmy had an idea.

He closed his eyes and squeezed hard and thought:
"Tomorrow's not good for me."

"Who said that?" thought the same duck. He was
obviously the leader of the ducks, their big evil
leader.

"Not me," said another duck. "Although tomorrow's
not really good for me, either"

"Stan's got a point," said another duck. "Let's set
the attack for sometime next week."

"Better yet," thought Timmy, doing his best
impersonation of a duck, "let's not attack at all."

"Who said that?" thought the evil leader of the
ducks.

"Who cares?" thought another duck. "Whoever it was
had a point. Attacking the humans was a dumb idea in
the first place."

"Yes, dumb," thought another duck.

They all paddled off to the other side of the pond,
leaving the evil leader of the ducks all alone. The
evil leader of the ducks stared malevolently at Timmy,
as if he suspected Timmy had something to do with his
plans being foiled but had no proof.

Timmy just smiled.

"Let's go home, Dad," he said.

"Okay, Timmy."

As they walked across the grass, his father said,
"Timmy sure can be bossy at times."

Then Timmy realized his father hadn't spoken. He had
heard his father's thoughts, as well.

"This could be fun," said Timmy.

But then, as they drove home, Timmy saw a duck flying
in the sky and a cold chill went through him, like a
harbinger of doom, or like when he ate an ice cream
too fast.

"It's not over," Timmy thought meaningfully.

THE END

Their response:

Thank you for everything that we have received from you thus far. Our review team believes that your work has commercial potential and we would like to proceed by offering to represent you.

We feel that your concept and writing thus far has potential and that if it
is polished and presented properly, we can sell it.

To take the next step, please read the information below and follow the
instructions at the end of this email. Unfortunately, this email is quite
long, but it has to be as this sets the stage for our working together.

It goes on and on for thousands of words, the usual long email that everyone talks about.

Last edited:

usay

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I have been there, done that. I haven't even had my manuscript returned to me, it has been over a year. It was a fully illustrated children's story. I really cannot believe all the people out there that are just in it for the almighty buck. Someday, we will get published, hang it there.

silverjoy

Banned
Reaction score
About pay for it publishers etc including childrens literary agency

To Emma and Others,
I am a writer of childrens books. I have been getting contracts and letters of interest from self publishing companies since I sent in my first story for review in 1986 to Vantage Press. Although they really liked the story, I didn't get to publish with them because at that time they wanted $4,000.00 for a full picture book. I had already drew the cover picture but they would have had to draw the inside pictures. Anyway I did not publish with them for the fact that as a new mother at the time I was buying diapers etc. I didn't find out until later that they would have taken payments. Since then I have been contacted by XLIBRIS (who does have a web site from what I saw)
and Roval Publishing. All sounded good including the price. And they would take payments. Of course the book would not be published until all payments were completed in full. HOwever Xlibris would only take credit cards or check no money order. The guy that was working with me was a very nice guy though and he even researched some things for me, even without me using their services. The only thing was I don't use credit cards or checks. The Roval company also sounded good and also they were nice when talking to them on the phone etc. They would take money orders if needed and would work with you on payment plan. They costed alot less than xlibris according to our talk on the phone. I still did not publish with them either. The reason is this; the contract they sent me was only one page. It only spoke of what the Author was contracted to do, but nothing of what they would do for the author etc. Also in that one page the contract did not mention any amount of money that I would have to pay them or that I would be paid once the book was out on the market. It did not even quote the amount I was told on the phone that I would have to pay. So I did not really consider it a contract. The Vantage Press contract in 1986 was more of a contract, it had about ten pages of information of what the publisher would do and what I was required to do including how much money I was contracted to pay and how much money I would get in royalties based on percentage. There was also alot of legal jargon that of course I did not understand at the time. But still it seemed more of a contract.
The other things I do not like about these publishers that offer it Print on demand is that they only give you one book for yourself. All books that are ordered through them are printed as they are ordered. I'm the kind of person that wants at least a hundred copies of my book in my hand, to do with what I want and to know that they actually did something for the money I paid them. especially if it is a couple thousand dollars. PUblishing by law means 'Putting Out to the Public" so if they are just offering me a website to advertise my book and also they advertise it on their own website for me, while they hold it in cyber space waiting for orders to come in then it is not considered published in my opinion. Even if they have printed one copy for me to see what it looks like. In these print on demand publishing houses I have to buy more copies at a discounted price from them. Then I can sell them myself and keep all the monies I make. That just don't seem fair to me. they say they promote the book through amazon.com and Barnesandnobile.com they say they work on getting it into stores for me, but they also say if I give them a list of places I want the book sent they will send it to them etc. well seriously I don't mind promoting my own book. Actually that is what I have been doing for the past 2 years. I am a Published Author of childrens books as of 2005. I self published the book through Silverjoy Publishing House. It's funny because by the time Xlibris and Roval publishing companies had gotten a hold of me by calling me first, I had already published my book and sold quite a few copies over the christmas season. If I want to do print on demand I will do it myself. See I own Silverjoy Publishing House and every book ordered is put together by me, Including the perfect binding that is used in the major companies. I was taught how to do that by a novelist who also had to publish his own 300 page novel that is carried in Barnes and Noble the actual store..
People really love my books and have been buying them quite abit. The cost was alot less than what I would have to pay the print on demand publishers. and all the monies are mine to keep. Yes I know it's really great being published by a big time publisher such as little golden books etc, but if you don't want to keep waiting for rejection or acceptance letters and want to feel that you actually accomplished something then just do it yourself all the way. You can still send things out to the major houses and if you are offered a good contract take it. But don't sell yourself short by just waiting for the big publishing houses to publish your book. Or these pay alot for publishing houses to take your money. I am a people person so I don't mind doing it all. I have found I get alot further that way.

Also one more note and I am not saying anything bad about them cause that writer that says he went through Childrens Literary Agency had some good points, but I looked in my 2006 guide to Literary Agents for their name and they were not in there that I could find. the best way to find the right people to work with you on your books is get and use the updated copies of Writers Market from writers digest and the guide to Literary Agents. Read them well and make an informed selection then go from there. I hope I helped in any kind of way. I am also willing to teach anyone who wants to know how to do it all themselves just how.. There is no charge.