The Ninja - Eric Van Lustbader

arodriguez

Renegade
Registered
Reaction score
well, jeez, i just finished reading it and i'm speechless. dang, had to ruin the moment.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah, damn good book, I read it every couple of years.

I liked The Miko, too.

Couldn't quite get into White Ninja.

Liked Black Heart, satisfyingly big read.

Also liked his Sunset Warrior series, good violent science fantasy.

Yeah, maybe The Book Club is a good place for this thread. Hocus pocus!

-Derek

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I admit it. I like the book. Wasn't there a scene where one guy was wearing white and the other black and they fought it out? I thought the murder of the girl friend was memorable. How come this ain't a movie? Oh, its been like 500 movies.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I respectfully disagree. :)

The Ninja was always about story. The action scenes, when they came, usually after long and tense build-ups, were big character reveals rather than hey-ya! crash bang wallop chop-socky stunts. Maybe there have been 500 ninja movies -- but none explored the culture and peeled away the mystique the way The Ninja did.

-Derek

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
I was impressed with a guy who could take what must be a 30 mile stroll across Tokyo to buy a comb for his girlfriend. If the guy's as traditional as he's supposed to be, he'd know that combs are a no no as gifts to women.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Tiger, not having read the book, I'd venture a guess that the comb was an ornamental one, to be worn in the hair. These are showy, feminine, can be expensive and are entirely appropriate as a gift.

Tiger

Registered
Reaction score
"Kushi" sounds like a combo of nine and four. "Ku" also has a meaning of suffering attached to it and, of course, four has the smell of death on it.

It might be appropriate to folks who don't believe in that kind of thing, but the Ninja character was supposed to be something of an anachronism.

arodriguez

Renegade
Registered
Reaction score
i was impressed with how much research he did to explore the prejudices of a half breed chinese japanese guy in japan. Such a great suspense thriller. I love this guy.

I loved the sunset trilogy. I love the Tor books Pearl saga. But wow, thsi Ninja book is awesome. Nicholas Linnear, what a wierd name though.

Tiger

Registered
Reaction score
Ya... How come he picked a name that 98% of the Japanese population can't pronounce?

Seriously though, the problem with such books is that they pick on the exotic and the strange until they create a world that the host culture wouldn't even see in its comic books.