Has anyone read Evening by Susan Minot?

PhoenixSaga

Registered
Reaction score
I would be very interested to hear opions about this book. I got it at the bookstore to check out how published writers are doing things that I am trying to accomplish and figured since there was a movie from the book that maybe there was something I could learn.

I would love to hear opinions anyone had about this book.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
I've read it (and it's nothing like the movie).

I wrote this about it in my blog in August 2006:

Oh, yes. Here’s something I wanted to mention: I sat up until three this morning to finish reading Evening by Susan Minot. It is a gorgeous work of art and I am really ticked because it is exactly the way I wanted my novel to be, but I listened to all the critics who insisted I follow the rules. Minot breaks nearly all of them. She uses no quotation marks whatsoever. Some sentences don’t even end in periods. It’s full of passive sentences and the use of “was.” She even has the protagonist get "out" of a guy's lap and sit "in" a chair. Not the kind of cushy chair a person can sink into, but a kitchen chair. The same word is often repeated in the same sentence or the same paragraph. The effect is ethereal. It won an award (can’t find the specific one at this moment, sorry) and got rave reviews, which were well deserved, in my humble opinion.

The story is about a sixty-five year old woman who is dying of cancer and the memory of a single weekend in which she found and lost the love of her life forty-years before, and the shadow it cast over the rest of her life, in spite of three marriages and five children. Agent: Goerges Borchardt Editor: Jordan Pavlin Paperback Publisher: Vintage Books, a division of Random House Hardback Publisher: Knopf, 1998.

Since that time, I read something, somewhere, about how Minot dedicated the book to all the various places she sat when she was writing, or maybe they were places that had inspired her, and how self-indulgent and weird that was. I tend to agree in that regard.

heatherleacubs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
depressiontellsme.blogspot.com
It's a beautiful book. The way she uses language in a decidely unconventional way is brilliant, and it really illustrates the toll cancer and morphine takes on the mind. The story is relatively simple, but so interesting given the context.

At first it was a bit confusing, because not only does she not use quotations but she also switchs points of view and time frequently and without warning. But by the end of the first chapter, I'd adjusted. And really, to me it was fairly easy to keep track of where I was and who was the POV character.

Susan Minot makes a lot of language choices that were fascinating to me (for example, I loved the way she refereed to the MC by the names that coincided with the different periods of life she was remembering), and I really enjoyed reading it. It was inspriring to me - language can really do so very much with just some effort. And it made me think, which I love a book to do. :)

PhoenixSaga

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I found it a fascinating read. And just as you had said she broke most of the rules which did not help me with my current work. I just need to know when is it okay to break the rules and when is it not.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
Thank you for replying.

You're welcome. Wish I could get someone to reply to my thread.

I found it a fascinating read. And just as you had said she broke most of the rules which did not help me with my current work. I just need to know when is it okay to break the rules and when is it not.

That's the trick, isn't it? I started out writing with an ethereal voice, and my crit partners said, no, no, no. So I changed it a bit, but tried to keep some of the beautiful words, and agents went no, no, no. I gave up and am rewriting with the plainest possible prose I can.

heatherleacubs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
depressiontellsme.blogspot.com
Hijacking this thread to welcome Heather from Grand Junction because I used to live in Vail. Hi, Heather! Welcome to AW. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Hi! And thank you! Vail....I love Vail. At least to visit. :) It's so beautiful.

I think that the answer to the question "when can I break the rules" is probably something like "Whenever you want, as long as you do it very well". It seems like everything in writing comes down to the "as long as you do it well" part. I guess the trick is knowing when you've done it well. :)