Flash Story - please critique (adult subject matter)

Tristis

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is where I should post this (and how I should post it), but you have my apologies if I read the maze wrong. It is a very short piece of 249 words. It is about drug use, and a little graphic. I fully intended to submit it to a contest, but chickened out. The only person I showed it to was an ex-heroin user for fact-checking.

My punctuation is admittedly random. I have no excuses for this (well, I have lots, but they are flimsy at best).

Tris

Blood Fix

Nicole finds a vein. The needle is warmed by the boiled dose. It will be hot going in. It will burn. That is a simple fact of the drug. She pauses before piercing the skin. What she is doing feels like defeat. She’s shot up a lot of friends, but she was using then, too. This is far worse. This is her child. She swore she would keep this poison away from her. It got to Amber anyway.

Now she’s back in another alley. This time helping Amber fix safely. She refuses to go home and leave her to her birthright. When she pushes in, she will send the next wave of addictive toxins into her daughter. Then in five hours or so, the next, until she can convince her to choose painful cold reality instead of this slumbering ache.

She holds another second. Hopeful.

Amber’s muscles tighten. She is waiting for the needle and it isn’t coming. In a mirror of her childhood, spent waiting beside her droopy-eyed mother for food and love, she says nothing. She reaches for the needle to help herself.

Nicole responds to the movement and jabs the needle in. A wave of pain shoots up Amber’s arm. Behind it is the second wave: a lying promise of numb contentment. The heat hits her heart first. She knew it would. It burns through her brain in a cresting fury that washes out all thought. Behind it the void seems anticlimactic. As usual.

Tristis

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so at first I was a little hurt (60+ views with no comments) I thought that maybe nobody cares one way or the other. The thought crossed my mind that it was because I was new here and my first post is this thing. I almost wrote a whole long explanation of how important it was that I not get to know the others before I submitted anything or some of you would become so important to me that I would not be able to risk it.

Then I thought maybe it was because it is in "Polished and Ready" and clearly it is not. This was not my first choice on placing this, though. The Mod where I did post ("Share your work", but the wrong section - ya know, saying "start here" gets a newbie more than a little confused) did some asking around and placed it here after talking to Cath. I see the point. It probably is the right forum. So why no response at all in 64 viewings?

My newest theory is that it is the left over message tags from me communicating with the last mod as to where to place it. I guess if you're rude they delete the message but leave a little deleted tag. Maybe all you viewers are seeing this and thinking I respond very poorly to criticism. So maybe a piece of work with four deleted posts is pretty much doomed as far as getting any more.

For the record: I'm okay with "it sucks." More okay with that if there is a reason given that can help me make changes or approach the next story better.

I guess I'm okay with hearing nothing, too, at least as far as not being all angry and bitter. Some things probably should get ignored. It's probably part of writing. It's a weird feeling though.

A final thought: maybe there were 64 viewers because I titled the darn thing wrong. Maybe those folks thought there would be sex and when there wasn't they just shrugged and moved on. I don't know how to change the title, and I'm not sure what I would say. I do believe that some sort of warning needed to be placed in the title, but maybe there are better words to choose.

Enh, it's only been a day. I should maybe get over myself. I will try to give it more time, maybe read around in the other posts for a while. I'm going back to that critique sticky and posting there - although I do not quite know how to point back to this thread and I know I'm not supposed to have multiple posts of my own work. I'm a little more than confused.

Tris

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't know what's going on with all the deleted posts there, so I hope I'm not stepping in a hole here. I'll just offer my thoughts and move on, hoping you find something useful in them.

First off, I like the creep factor of the mother shooting up her daughter, but I'm left wondering their ages, specifically that of the daughter. Big difference in the ick, depending on whether the daughter is 25, 15, or 5.

It seems to all be in the mother's POV until the last two paragraphs when we dip into Amber's head. Try to stay with just one of them in a piece this short.

I agree, this is not polished and ready. Do you read flashquake? www.flashquake.org There's a really good one in fiction right now about a drunken mother who has found Jesus...I can't recall the title...but I suggest you head over there and read the flashes to get a better feel for the form.

Also, the writerly phrases don't help this. leave her to her birthright...this slumbering ache...In a mirror of her childhood...lying promise of numb contentment...all of those stood out to me as trying too hard. Sometimes, direct and simple works better.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Hey Tristis,

First off, about views without replies -- it happens a lot. Normally it just means people didn't know what to say about a piece. In this case that might be because it's a squicky subject and people don't know you yet, so they didn't know how to respond in an appropriate manner. Or yeah, perhaps because of the deleted message tags, which might make people confused/uncomfortable because they're missing context. I know it's easy to read lack of comments as "Oh no, I suck, they hate me" but that's not what it means :) (We all do it sometimes, though!)

About the piece, I pretty much agree with Siddow -- I thought the situation was painful and interesting (but the point of view switch at the end made me go "wha?") So, details. (Wherein I babble on longer than the story itself is).

I think this piece is at its most powerful when your sentences are short and direct - - sentences like "Nicole finds a vein." "It will be hot going in." They pack the emotional punch, I think, better than the "writerly phrases" Siddow commented on already, because they're short, and because they're focusing on Nicole's sensory experience.

The rest -- I don't read it as trying too hard, exactly -- it seems more like you're trying to do the wrong thing there, like you're trying to make it clear to the reader that this is horrible. But that's sort of... telling the reader what to think. You don't need to. It's right there in the details of Nicole's experience, and it's more powerful when the reader gets the experience and draws the conclusions his/herself. So I think focus tightly on what every moment is like for Nicole, and you'll have it.

Bouncing to the POV (point of view) switch -- My sympathies are with Nicole, not Amber, so I'd like to see the last event from her point of view -- what does she see Amber do, how does that affect Nicole?

So that's all sentence-level stuff. A note about story coherence: I do wonder why Nicole isn't getting her kid into rehab. I got from the "mirror of her childhood" that Amber is not 5, and probably not 15, but is she 16-18, 25, 45? That would affect - not just how the mother feels, but what options she has for dealing with her daughter's addiction.

Tristis

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't know what's going on with all the deleted posts there, so I hope I'm not stepping in a hole here. I'll just offer my thoughts and move on, hoping you find something useful in them.

Ah, see, that explains a lot. It's all cool.

Thanks for the feedback!

The daughter is old enough that mother has no authority over her. Her real chance at motherhood is ended and now there is only this attention. Before I whittled it down, there was a sentence about the debate on what to do to help Amber - as in: does it help her to enable her? Is that how a mother should mother? Can Nicole help herself from doing so?

Regarding the POV - I know you're right, and I can't stand it! I will have to dig into mom's past to maybe show some empathic knowledge of the drug's transit. I really feel it's important.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
The daughter is old enough that mother has no authority over her.

That's important! Especially if Nicole wasted her chance at motherhood, but can't stop being at least enough of a mother not to walk away. And I really like the questions you're raising here. I realize they can't go directly into the piece, but some hint that they're there might be good :)

Regarding the POV - I know you're right, and I can't stand it! I will have to dig into mom's past to maybe show some empathic knowledge of the drug's transit. I really feel it's important.

That could very well work. Consider:

Nicole responds to the movement and jabs the needle in. Amber winces, then relaxes into the numbness. The heat will hit Amber's heart first, then burn through her brain until she doesn't even know who Nicole is. Behind it the void will be anticlimactic. As usual.

Not saying this is right, or even good, just that you can change POV and still talk about Amber's experience. Since Nicole knows it so well, and can probably read its progress in Amber's face and bodily reaction.

...Oh and...:welcome:

Tristis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Shweta - esp for the hello. I haven't had a chance to read so many pieces yet, but your "when they made right" piece really impressed me (I feel all bashful and honoured).

So I think focus tightly on what every moment is like for Nicole, and you'll have it.

This I will do, too, when I take another kick at this puppy. Nicole's memories as she watches Amber are key, I know.

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Tristis,
First of all, welcome, welcome, welcome. I think you'll find there's a lot of good advice and good expertise here, and the people are helpful and oftentimes nice :D

Seriously though, I don't have time right now to critique your story, and since it seems like you intend to revise it, I'd like to reserve the privilege for the re-write.

But I would like to add another comment to your observation about views with no replies. If you go up one level within the Suddenly Fiction section to the Sudden Fiction Discussion thread, you will see a poll about why people do or do not critique. Some of these posts might give you a better understanding about peoples' intentions.

I will give one quick comment; I agree wholehearted with Sweta--you're at your best with the short to-the-point sentences. They really draw the reader into the conflict in the mother's mind and heart.

I'm looking forward to reading your re-write.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I put a story in here a while back, it had very little dialogue, and that was pointed out as a problem. Yours has no dialogue(!). I'm not sure how "bad" that is, but if that's the way you want it to be, maybe you could say "We do this without words exchanged" to help the reader understand the lack of dialogue.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I do want to come back and give this a full crit when I have the time (which is a rare commodity at the moment), but just a couple of quick points.

I like the directness of it, you don't pull any punches, and I appreciate that.

The head hopping in the last paragraph got me too.

I couldn't get a handle how old the daughter is. Is she fully grown? or is she still a child?

It's good though, please do post the rewrite here when you've gone over it again (just in this thread will be fine).

(and for those of you wondering - the deleted posts are all about what forum the piece should be in, and therefore not really relevant to critiquing the story, nothing contentious!) :D

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I put a story in here a while back, it had very little dialogue, and that was pointed out as a problem. Yours has no dialogue(!). I'm not sure how "bad" that is, but if that's the way you want it to be, maybe you could say "We do this without words exchanged" to help the reader understand the lack of dialogue.

I think no dialogue works well here, and I got that it was silent without a sentence telling me so -- but it should be noted that I like little or no dialogue, especially in short pieces. I think an even mix of narration and dialogue often works better in long pieces than in flash.

Tristis

Registered
Reaction score
Repost: Blood Fix

Here is the newest version. Thanks all. I fixed the POV problem (I think) and it is tighter. I hope it still conveys the intensity of the act and their relationship. I don't quite know yet how to pin an age onto the daughter other than to refer to a past childhood (and I am fond of that sentence).

I do like dialogue, even in short pieces, but I really believe these two have too much to say, and too much to avoid, for words.

Without the title: 250 words (<sniff> I liked that title)

Nicole finds a vein. The needle is warmed by the boiled dose. It will be hot going in. It will burn - a simple fact of the drug. She pauses before piercing the skin. What she is doing feels like defeat. She’s shot up a lot of friends, but she was using then, too. This is far worse. This is her child. She swore she would keep this poison away from her. It got to Amber anyway.

Now she’s back in another alley. This time around she’s spiting friends so she can help Amber fix safely. When she pushes in, she will feed addictive toxins to her daughter. She will again in the next alley, the next time she finds her, until she can convince her to choose painful, cold reality instead of this slumbering ache.

Amber’s muscles tighten. She is waiting for the needle and it isn’t coming. In a mirror of her childhood, spent waiting beside her droopy-eyed mother for food and love, she says nothing. She reaches for the needle to help herself.

Nicole responds to the movement and jabs in. She watches carefully. They both wince as a wave of heat shoots up Amber’s arm. Nicole bites her lip against her own body’s memory of the creeping numbness. But she is there as the heat first hits Amber's heart. Then as it burns through her brain in a cresting fury that washes out all thought.

Behind it, the void is anticlimactic.

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
I thought, up until the very end, that the mother was pregnant and shooting up. I think clarifying the ages, as mentioned about, would help a lot.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
This disturbed me - which is good. I agree with your decision to omit dialogue; I think it would have to be almost all dialogue or none, and you did the none well. Regarding Amber's age, it's clear she's a teen or adult, but one has to think about it. Finding some way of throwing in that Amber's grown might be helpful for the reader in a short piece.

Frankly, I don't review much because I'm not good with analyzing or parsing. I feel like one of those dweebs who boast, "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like." I like this, in a disturbed kind of way. :)

Nicole_Gestalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolegestalt.blogspot.com
As others have mentioned the age thing I wont say anything about it other then to agree with them.

The only thing that pulled me out of the story really was the phrase 'This time around she’s spiting friends so she can help Amber fix safely'. Since I don't particularly have a lot of interaction with people who use and depending on your market some of the readers may not either it would be handy to perhaps expand/explain this statement in some way. I'm certain it has a actual meaning but it's one that past me by completly, and one that jarred me out of the story because I sat there trying to work out what it meant.

Of course all of this is just a suggestion but I think it would help the story a little.

Last edited:

Tristis

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that pulled me out of the story really was the phrase 'This time around she’s spiting friends so she can help Amber fix safely'. Since I don't particularly have a lot of interaction with people who use and depending on your market some of the readers may not either it would be handy to perhaps expand/explain this statement in some way. I'm certain it has a actual meaning but it's one that past me by completly, and one that jarred me out of the story because I sat there trying to work out what it meant.

I don't think it was worth it right now to have gone with "spiting" instead of "defying" I don't think it says what I wanted, which was that she was stubbornly going against advice to leave Amber to her fate. I'm going to switch to "defying friends" before I submit this.

As for the "fix safely" thing. Yeah, that is pretty specific to street culture. "Fixing" is getting the drug into the needle and shooting up. When addicts are desperate and can't find a vein (or something else has gone wrong), they can get pretty daring. Also, there can eventually be a certain loss of motor control. There are two schools of thought: they should be given the choice (or forced) to give up the needle, or they should be assisted in shooting up safely until they are willing to give it up. Helping somebody shoot up is enabling, but the theory is that it will keep them alive long enough to come around. Willingness to be clean is really important to staying clean.

I think you have made a good point here regarding audience and getting pulled out of the story by confusion over terms, but I can't see how I could take it out and still be true to the story. I will look much closer.

Tristis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody

I will look again at the age thing as well as the fixing safely issue. I have a maximum of 250 words, so it might not get any less vague.

before I submit, I will post here the last revision.

This was fun!

Tristis

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, took a nap.

Hey Tristis, got a revision for us? :)

This is what I submitted:

Nicole finds a vein. The needle is warmed by the boiled dose. It will be hot going in. It will burn - a simple fact of the drug. She pauses before piercing the skin. This feels like defeat. She’s shot up a lot of friends, but back then she was using, too. This is far worse. This is her child. She swore she would keep this poison away from her. It got to Amber, anyway.

Now she’s back in another alley, defying the advice of friends so she can help Amber fix safely. When she pushes in, she will feed addictive toxins to her daughter. She will again in the next alley, the next time she finds her, until she can convince her to choose painful, cold reality instead of this slumbering ache.

Amber’s muscles tighten. She is waiting for the needle and it isn’t coming. In a reflection of her childhood - spent waiting beside her droopy-eyed mother for food and love - she says nothing as she reaches for the needle to help herself.

Nicole responds to the movement and jabs in. She watches carefully. They both wince as a wave of heat shoots up Amber’s arm. Nicole bites her lip against her own body’s memory of the creeping numbness; but she is there as the heat first hits Amber's heart; then as it burns through her brain in a cresting fury that washes out all thought.

Behind it, the void is anticlimactic.