Western Short Story Contest [from 2007]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I found this on line. If anyone knows more about it, pass it on. The way I read this is they didn't get enough entries in 2007 to hold their contest - seems like someone(s) ought to do something about that! Puma

Art Affair Western Short Story Contest Rules
Art Affair’s western fiction contest (maximum: 5,000 words) is open to any writer. Enter your own original work only. Please do not include a SASE: entries will not be returned.
Entries must be postmarked by October 1, 2008 and should be unpublished and/or unaccepted for publication when entered into the contest. Manuscripts must be double-spaced and in 12-point font.
Please type Western and your name, address, telephone number, and title of manuscript on a cover page which will be removed before judging. On your manuscript, type page/word counts in the upper right-hand corner of the first page.
You may enter as many western short stories as you like but each entry requires an entry fee.
Prizes: $50.00, $25.00, $15.00 (Prize money and certificates will be mailed to the winners and a list of winners will be published on the website in December 2008.)

Entry Fee: $5.00 per manuscript (Make check payable to Art Affair) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Deadline: October 1, 2008

Grizzly

Registered
Reaction score
Do they not publish the winning stories anywhere? I never entered a contest, is that common practice?

I came across this one - http://www.wordharvest.com/contest.htm - from Tony Hillerman. But it looks like it ended in November. Maybe they'll have another one next year.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
From what I've seen, a lot of contests that are legitimate have an entry fee - they have to cover their expenses some way. $5.00 is pretty low actually. My question would be more on whether they publish the winning entry somewhere. But - at least there's plenty of time to check this contest out - and look around for others. Puma

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Thanks, Puma,
Unfortunately, my story is closer to 10,000 words, so it's too long for this contest. But if you hear of any more, please let us know. I would also like to find a western anthology looking for shorts (paying markets would be best).

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
About.com has a site that lists upcoming contests. I've posted excerpts from that list in the historical forum - contests to consider. There are a few more I didn't post because they were regionally limited. But, check out the post in historical and if you want to see more go to About.com (think there's a link in the post - if not, let me know and I'll post it here.) Puma

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Anthology Market.

Of interest to you writers?

Indian Country Anthology deadline May 15th 2008
Apparently Liz Martinez, editor wants:
"An anthology of original noir short stories set in Indian Country will be released next year. The editors are seeking stories that take place in Indian Country, which includes Canadian reserves, U.S. reservations, Alaska, Hawaii, and Mexican Indian land, and/or stories that revolve around Native characters. Stories may be historical, literary and/or crime fiction, as long as they are previously unpublished, and stories that take place in the Eastern or Southern United States are particularly needed. Writers of First Nation ancestry are especially invited to submit. Emerging writers, as well as established authors, are encouraged to send their work."

Stories 3-6000 words, payment $200
Details: e-mail: [email protected].

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
The red flags are up on the Indian Country anthology. There's no apparent information on who's sponsoring the contest, publisher, etc. Just quite a few calls for submissions on the internet. There is a thread on this topic in Bewares now. Puma

Last edited:

AFGNCAAP

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds too, too fun...I think I'm going to approach this at a science fiction angle...hmm...

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I know this has been flagged but...

in case you are interested and want to check it yourself this came into my inbox via a reputable markets source.

'INDIAN COUNTRY NOIR'
PAY: $200
An anthology of original fiction noir short stories set in Indian Country will be released next year. The editors are seeking stories that take place in Indian Country, which includes Canadian reserves, U.S. reservations, Alaska, Hawaii, and Mexican Indian land, and/or stories that revolve around Native characters. Stories that take place in the Eastern or Southern United States are particularly needed. The noir fiction short stories submissions may be historical, literary and/or crime fiction, as long as they are previously unpublished. Writers of First Nation ancestry are especially invited to submit. Established authors who have already committed to participating in this project include Marilyn Meredith, MariJo Moore, David Cole, Marcia Muller and Robert Randisi, which will ensure a wide readership. The editors are seeking greater representation of Native American authors and are looking forward to including exciting new voices. Emerging writers, as well as established authors, are encouraged to send their work. Stories should be 3,000 - 6,000 words, and the deadline is May 15, 2008. Pay will be $200, and rights will revert back to the author after publication. Direct any questions or send stories via e-mail to [email protected].

Tolerance

Banned
Reaction score
was an actress in Steve Galluccio's libretto of th
Être confiée à écrire
To be entrusted to write
Is not selling myself at a sacrifice
What do you think?
National Debt...

Yeah National Debt
Who promoted you by
Seniortiy?
Not any religion, I know.
Oho!

I'll be your tour-operator
anyhow. Ciao, bow-wow.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Look around, Tolerance. There's a sticky with markets for western and, as of today, a new sticky for the March prompt with some contest information (off site). There are also announcements at the top of AW pages. So, check them out. Puma

Tolerance

Banned
Reaction score
was an actress in Steve Galluccio's libretto of th
thanks Puma, I'm into inacceptation mainly cos I'll never get the hang of the set-up of AWWC no prob

Look around, Tolerance. There's a sticky with markets for western and, as of today, a new sticky for the March prompt with some contest information (off site). There are also announcements at the top of AW pages. So, check them out. Puma

Don't worry Puma I'm just in my staff canteen now
one day I'll opt out ... when I get tired of your writer's tourist information. Still love you though. Don't let me demotivate you though you beautiful cat.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Stop posting nonsense. There was no need to pull this older thread back to the top.

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.