Goal: Do Not Quit

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
I'm querying for the first time since 2005. Over the past two days, I sent out seven queries, one of which was rejected 15 minutes later, one which triggered an email auto-responder saying to query again on a particular date, and five that are still out there.

My goal is to stay in the querying game until I get an agent or run out of appropriate agents to query. I don't want to quit again until/unless it is clear I must quit.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this sounds eerily like me. I have quit for a while, but I hope to "get back on the horse" soon. I want to finish writing my newest edition to my dusty manuscripts first though. Now, if I'd actually work on the dang thing, maybe I could get myself to where you are.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you!! That's excellent news. I hope this search is fruitful and an agent grows quickly on your agent-tree.

Best of luck!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I wish you the best of luck. Remember to keep us posted.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Thanks to everyone who wished me luck! If I get an agent, I'll certainly let people here know. I'm also entering the info into QueryTracker as it occurs.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I think every writer should quit at least once in their lives. I quit for about 7 years total--newborn babies, bipolar husband, two and three jobs, who could write a grocery list?--and now I'm so thrilled to be doing it again that the rejections don't really matter so much. Besides, if we don't write, what will happen to all those voices in our heads?

Best of luck, and welcome back to the loony bin.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
I think every writer should quit at least once in their lives.

I quit writing twice. Once when I was an engineering major and couldn't find the time, once when I was so deep in promoting my vanity-press book that I didn't have time (and I was in ill health, too).

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Me, too. Wow's to JSKev. That's a lot for any person to function through. Hope thigns have settled for you.

Jamie - One of our beloved posters, JoNightshade, had the same mission, and scored just recently. Check some of her posts. I never considered trying to hit an agent. It scared the hell out of me, but Jo got me thinking and I'm starting to get the nerve up. Kudos and good luck on your quest!

Pike

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Update:

I got a full request (however, this is from an agent who requests a lot of fulls, according to QueryTracker, so it might not mean anything).

:e2thud:

Qui

Registered
Reaction score
It's still a full! I'm sure there are plenty that never get requested!
/gives everyone cookies and tea

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Who requested a full? Please keep us updated too if it pans out :) :)

Update:

I got a full request (however, this is from an agent who requests a lot of fulls, according to QueryTracker, so it might not mean anything).

:e2thud:

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Keep going!! As Dory says, "Just keep swimming...just keep swimming." Sounds like you're getting close and closer to the destination!

I was a quitter too, for 15 years (got corporate job, got married, got doctorate). Life goes in cycles...it's the nature of the beast.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Who requested a full? Please keep us updated too if it pans out :) :)

Sara Crowe of Harvey Klinger.

Right now (in this new phase of querying, not counting my previous attempt in 2005) I've had:

11 rejections of my query letter
1 request for a full
4 with no response yet (but it has only been a little more than a month)

If the 5 non-rejections turn into rejections, then I think I'll send another batch of queries out (I believe I've still got about 40 agents on my list as possibilities, pending more research).

Thanks to everyone who has been encouraging me. It has been very difficult for me to get up the courage to start querying again. But this time I'm determined to keep querying until I get representation or until I run out of legitimate agents to query who represent my subject matter.

And even if I end this process without getting an agent, I plan to then complete one of my partly-written books and start the query process again with that next book.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear about the rejection. I also had to slow down for a bit. Then that old craving hit again and well......I'm back to sending out those lovely little query letters again. I hate the rejections but I feel like an addict, I have to write.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Writing is safer than speed, although you lose about as much sleep doing either.

Sorry to hear about the rejection. I also had to slow down for a bit. Then that old craving hit again and well......I'm back to sending out those lovely little query letters again. I hate the rejections but I feel like an addict, I have to write.