Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Raphee
In debt to AW

Raphee is a shiny, shiny jewelRaphee is a shiny, shiny jewel
Definition of Upmarket fiction

The subject says it all. I have been hearing this word of recent and have no idea what it means.
It doesn't even exist as a genre on Agentquery etc.

So do I say my novel is Upmarket Literary. Or do I say it is Upmarket. Can you help define this.
Also what is the trend with using this word anyway.
Raphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
ORION
Sailed away years ago

ORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for President
My agent uses it as in upmarket women's fiction like Jodi picoult, Sue Monk Kidd,Anita Shreve, Anna Quindlan i.e.
It refers to a more commercial/ broad appeal women's fiction with literary echos, and not strictly genre romance. That is how she uses it when we talk. Others may chime in.
I have only heard it referred to with respect to women's fiction I've never heard it used with anything else.

NOW don't you guys jump all over me- I'm not stating my beliefs I am just repeating what my agent has discussed with me...

Patricia Wood's debut novel LOTTERY is available for sale at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Borders and your local independent book store.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com//e/9780425222201
ORION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think "upmarket" in this context means "written by people with college degrees for people with college degrees, but not self-consciously 'literary'--in-between commercial and literary fiction." Tom Wolfe, for instance, or Michael Chabon, or the folks ORION mentioned.

I also think it would be an odd word to use of your own writing.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd say it crosses both the literary and commercial lines. Meaning it will do well in both.

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Devil Ledbetter
Come on you stranger, you legend,

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
I'd say it crosses both the literary and commercial lines. Meaning it will do well in both.
In other words, Oprah's Book Club potential?

My dog can say "I love you."

Devil Ledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
KTC

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Maybe she chooses up market on purpose? I'm just saying. (The best way to remain successful is to choose successfully.)

I blog

I Tweet

Old 01-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
funidream
practical experience, FTW

funidream has a spectacular aurafunidream has a spectacular aura
In my discussions with agent and editor, the term upmarket seems to have less to do with who wrote it, and much more to do with who they think will buy it. And like Orion, I've only heard the term used in conjunction with women's fiction.

MIDWIFE OF THE BLUE RIDGE
"Blevins doesn't soft-peddle the brutal realities of women's lot in the colonies, but she gives strong, skilled Maggie pluck and hope." - Publishers Weekly

THE TORY WIDOW

"...action and adventure, where the pages go by quickly as scenes are brought to life with evocative language and unerring syntax." - Historical Novels Review
funidream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
sassafras
Fabulator

sassafras is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamEmpress View Post
I think "upmarket" in this context means "written by people with college degrees for people with college degrees, but not self-consciously 'literary'--in-between commercial and literary fiction." Tom Wolfe, for instance, or Michael Chabon, or the folks ORION mentioned.
You can't read these authors without a college degree?

Wow - we're talking about a whole new genre all by itself, then.

They may have to start keeping these authors behind the counter, so joe-average-reader can't buy them on the sly.

Going to have to get the laminator out for my Phd papers - and carry a much larger purse so it will all fit - I can see that.

Sass
sassafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
You can't read these authors without a college degree?
Yep, that's exactly what I meant!

Here's what Miss Snark has to say about "upmarket".

This agency says they're "aggressively seeking upmarket adult fiction that's appropriate for book club discussion"--the whole "book club" factor might be a big part of this.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
KTC

Well...I'm Chabons biggest fan and I stand before you today without a college degree. That's hogwash. As I said, I believe upmarket is a balance between commercial and literary...a buy-factor across the board. Books that cater to both world. The dumb people like me and the college people.

I blog

I Tweet

Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
sassafras
Fabulator

sassafras is on a distinguished road
Deleted.

Last edited by sassafras; 01-25-2008 at 12:33 AM.
sassafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
(Why would ANY novelist limit themselves in such a way, as to write a novel ONLY for a limited group?)
Niche marketing.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
Stew21
Shotgun - no Shambo
SuperModerator

Stew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I truly believe it fills the gap between literary and commercial fiction.
Literary-appeal and Commercial-appeal/sales combined.
that is all.

My poetry pick of the week (I say that like I pick one every week; I don't) belongs to Kuwisdelu.
Stew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I agree with Stew21. "Upmarket" and "mainstream" mean the same thing to me. JMO.

Website | Twitter
Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #15
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

More Googling reveals the following authors described as "upmarket" in newspapers/magazines/online sources: Ian McEwan; Patricia Cornwell; Charles Frazier; Zadie Smith; Umberto Eco; J.K. Rowling; Arthur Golden (Memoirs of a Geisha); Tracy Chevalier; Graham Swift; Martin Amis.

Apparently, the author who is the antithesis of "upmarket" is Danielle Steele, because she's cited in at least three articles with the tag "{upmarket author} is no Danielle Steele".

I should amplify that what I meant by the shorthand of "for college graduates" was really "using a vocabulary that would be associated with college-graduate reading levels on scales like the Lexile system." Obviously, not everyone with that vocabulary is a college graduate, and not every college graduate has that vocabulary.

I also think it's a stupid term, and one I would avoid using myself. But the range of meanings that people assign to it seem, roughly, comprehensible to me.

Last edited by IceCreamEmpress; 01-23-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #16
ORION
Sailed away years ago

ORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for PresidentORION should run for President
Guys...the point is what do the AGENTS mean when they talk about upmarket...NOT what WE think it means.
That's why I repeated what my agent said.
There is almost an industry lexicon that is ever changing.
On agentquery.com some agents say that they want "upmarket women's fiction"
(as opposed to genre romance) Check out what they represent.
This may be a great question for bookends, pubrants AND nathan to see how they all interpret upmarket...

Patricia Wood's debut novel LOTTERY is available for sale at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Borders and your local independent book store.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #17
talps
It's all happening...

talps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I do love it when my already genre-puzzled brain gets jumbled by more terminology. Tough enough to select something that can most accurately describe a novel. Why not add a few more odd adjectives to the mix? (he says, tongue firmly planted in cheek)

I had a rejection letter that was personalized with a comment that said she was very interested in the premise because she was in pursuit of "upmarket commercial women's fiction." Okay, cool, even though I'd tagged at as strictly commercial, I was on board with that.

So now my question is... Based on comments in this thread thus far, am I correct to assume that the term "upmarket" should not be included in an author's query letter? That this adjective can only be applied by an agent after having read the work?

It is a constant terror of mine, this trying to intellectually grasp that I'm not derailing a project based solely on a query letter's genre label.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #18
Devil Ledbetter
Come on you stranger, you legend,

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by talps View Post
So now my question is... Based on comments in this thread thus far, am I correct to assume that the term "upmarket" should not be included in an author's query letter? That this adjective can only be applied by an agent after having read the work?
That's what I've gathered from this thread.

My dog can say "I love you."

Devil Ledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #19
Danger Jane

Danger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDanger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDanger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDanger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDanger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDanger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDanger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDanger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDanger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDanger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDanger Jane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It sounds like a tag the agent uses to market the novel, so yea, it doesn't seem that necessary for query letters. Since they're the ones doing the marketing and all. BUT I'm not represented, so...
Danger Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
ORION
Sailed away years ago

I agree. In your query letter you could say
"Dear Agent X,
I understand you are interested in commercial upmarket women's fiction. I would like to show you my 234,000 word novel IN PURSUIT OF LOVE WITH A RIPPED BODICE..."

Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #21
ORION
Sailed away years ago

you guys all know I was seriously kidding about the title don't you?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #22
ORION
Sailed away years ago

and the word count...

Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #23
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Orion, You mean that's not gonna be your newest?

I for one am disappointed.
heyjude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #24
sunna

sunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION View Post
you guys all know I was seriously kidding about the title don't you?
What's wrong with that title?

yes I'm kidding

sunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #25
talps
It's all happening...

talps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstalps is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION View Post
I agree. In your query letter you could say
"Dear Agent X,
I understand you are interested in commercial upmarket women's fiction. I would like to show you my 234,000 word novel IN PURSUIT OF LOVE WITH A RIPPED BODICE..."
Hmmmm... someone's been hacking into my computer!

FYI, it's down to 228,000 words. Too many scenes where the bodice was seductively removed. Ripping 'em off really cuts to the quick.

*ahem*

Anyway... Thanks to everyone who answered my question.