Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Editor
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
ExposingCorruption
AW Addict

ExposingCorruption is on a distinguished road
The Big 5 Publishers

What are the names of the Big 5 NY Publishers and is there a list of all their subsidiaries (aren't those called "imprints?")

Is it often that a book that is sold to a smaller publishing house becomes a best seller?
ExposingCorruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Toni1953
practical experience, FTW

Toni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of light
I did see one a few years ago in WRiter's Market. I'll have to see if i still have that magazine at home.

I think Random House, Simon and Shuster, Harper Collins, Penguin Putnam?
Coming 2014 from Berkley Prime Crime: MEOW IF ITS MURDER
The First Nick & Nora Mystery!
Toni1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
mscelina
Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you

Location: Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
mscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Google is your friend. You should try it. It's a heck of a lot quicker to google your question and find out the answers for yourself than to wait for other people to provide you the information.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 AM   #4
ExposingCorruption
AW Addict

ExposingCorruption is on a distinguished road
Actually, someone has since given me a link to a list of the big publishing houses on Agent Query. http://www.agentquery.com/publishing_mp.aspx

They also have a list of smaller independent publishers. http://www.agentquery.com/publishing_ip.aspx
ExposingCorruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The "NY Big 5" you probably mean are the conglomerates -- AOL Time Warner, Pearson, Bertelsmann, Holtzbrinck, Viacom, News Corp, and Torstar. Each conglomerate owns several publishing houses. Most publishing houses have several imprints. I don't think there's a definitive list somewhere, if for no other reason than that the congloms sell things back and forth so the situation of who owns what does change regularly.

No, it's not often that any book becomes a best seller, and it's even more infrequent that it would come from a small press.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
beatlesluv
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

beatlesluv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni1953 View Post
I did see one a few years ago in WRiter's Market. I'll have to see if i still have that magazine at home.

I think Random House, Simon and Shuster, Harper Collins, Penguin Putnam?
Yep. Harper Collins = Harper's Bazaar as well.

Penguin Group is big one.

S&S for sure.

Doubleday etc and so on
beatlesluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
johnrobison
A Free Range Aspergian

johnrobison is a shiny, shiny jeweljohnrobison is a shiny, shiny jewel
The big three, Random House, Penguin, and Harper Collins, (listed in order of size) control 75% of the US bestseller market between them. Each has many imprints and you sell to the imprint, not to the "company."

So, for example, you could query half a dozen editors in different imprints of Random House. They will all bid agressively against one another, but there are some rules.

1) All the big houses have divisions. For example, here are Random's divisions http://www.randomhouse.biz/ourpublishers/ If you scroll down their list, you'll see Crown - my division. You could query Doubleday and Crown because they are separate divisions, and each could offer a bid for your book. You can't query multiple editors within a division and have them bid against one another, though you can have them review the book and choose between them.

2) If two companies are bidding, say Penguin and RH, bids can run free. If you have an auction situation, and the top bidders are from the same company (example: Doubleday and Crown) you have to stop the bidding and choose a winner per the policy of the major houses.

If these houses are your target there are advantages to a long established agent in the City.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Toni1953
practical experience, FTW

Toni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of light
Random House
HarperCollins
Simon & Schuster
Penguin
St. Martin’s
Coming 2014 from Berkley Prime Crime: MEOW IF ITS MURDER
The First Nick & Nora Mystery!

Last edited by Toni1953; 02-08-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: cleanedup list
Toni1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #9
scope
Commonsensical Maverick

scope has earned our admirationscope has earned our admirationscope has earned our admirationscope has earned our admiration
The five major book publishing companies (the conglomerates) are:

Harper Collins
Penguin Putnam
Random House
Simon & Schuster
Time Warner

Not an exact estimate, but in total the five control between 300 and 400 publishing companies with different names and produce about one-half of all new books published each year (about 200,000).
scope is offline   Reply With Quote