Bransford on openings

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Nathan Bransford's blog today has some very interesting comments on openings, related to the current first-page contest. He makes a particularly good point about "grabbing an agent" with the opening. Specifically, that while it is obviously necessary to get the attention of the agent quickly, to demonstrate you can tell an engaging story and write well, it isn't necessary, as he puts it, to "grab the reader by the throat". And this note:

"For instance, at least 7 openings in the SEFPC involve burnt and/or rotting flesh."

Worth a look.

caw

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting. There was a thread where we posted our openers here a while back (first paras, I think), and for a while I kept a running tally of dead bodies. I got some argument for pointing out how seldom one encounters a dead body IRL.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
On the one hand, I should have sent mine in. On the other hand, it starts with a dead body :D

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
I make no apologies for my burnt flesh! :D My MC has an overactive imagination and imagines she is smelling it while waiting to have her eyeballs lasered, so it fits into her 'makeup' and the situation.

And he did follow that statement with, "To be sure, this can be done well.", although I am fairly certain I won't be falling into that category... :cry:

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
There was a dead body in mine, so I guess that's it for me.
Interesting!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
On the other hand. I just wanted to say on the other hand. Shweta gave me such a need to say on the other hand. On the other hand, I'm on my way over to his blog right now to read the post. Thanks.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
How many hands do you have, Kevin? Am I gonna have to redesign that dress?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oh, Shweta. Ganesha/Uma in a dress and there are plenty of hands to go around.

I enjoyed Nathan's post. For me, the story in my head is the one that comes out...sometimes it begins full blow up and sometimes it's slow. I'm glad he made it clear that both are acceptable.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Shit I am glad I started out with a half Jewish half Apache FBI agent who was not dead!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Lobsters should never inhale.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Have you never had lobster on a cracker...with those pretty coloured toothpicks?
If you put the lobster on a cracker you don't need the toothpicks. Honestly. Can I not take you anywhere?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
If you put the lobster on a cracker you don't need the toothpicks. Honestly. Can I not take you anywhere?

If it is layered with accoutrements, yes...you still need the toothpick, Missy.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I did notice all the bodies and such. A little taken aback, but quite a few of the entries were not in my reading genre...so I am a little out of the loop there. I learned quite a bit from reading all the entries. I was going to chart the genres, but didn't. It would be interesting to see that chart.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting quote...

One of the most difficult things is the first paragraph. I have spent many months on a first paragraph and once I get it, the rest comes very easily. In the first paragraph you solve most of the problems of your book. The theme is defined, the style, the tone.

Garbriel Garcia Marquez

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Are you kidding?? The toothpick will shatter the cracker.

GOD, KTC.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I think the idea is that if your story begins with a reeking burning rotting body, so be it: that's how your story begins. Write it well.

But don't stick a body like that into your story just to make a dramatic entrance and don't rush the body to the front for the same reason.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Interesting quote...

One of the most difficult things is the first paragraph. I have spent many months on a first paragraph and once I get it, the rest comes very easily. In the first paragraph you solve most of the problems of your book. The theme is defined, the style, the tone.

Garbriel Garcia Marquez
Huh. That is a very interesting quote and I find it to be very true, so far, for the things I write.

Status
Not open for further replies.