When Joy Turns to Sorrow

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone knows how excited we've been with our new additions. The donkeys are great and grow on me more everyday.

We were excited to come home and rushed out to play with our animals before feeding time. The weather was gorgeous today, but rain is in the forecast for tomorrow.

The little donkeys were all there to greet us. My goats came running up when they heard the car and so did my gelding and pony, but my son's mare, Abby, didn't appear. I assumed she was in the back pasture and would be up shortly when she realized we were home.

I spent a good 20 minutes playing with donkeys and laughing at the goats. My gelding stayed there at the fence, needier than usual. He's always a pest, but he didn't seem right. It was time to feed anyway, so I sent the kids to go find Abby while I went into the barn to go feed.

Then I heard my son screaming. I feel so guilty because I sent the boys back there and they found their beloved horse dead in the pasture. I'll spare you the details, but she was only 11 and although she's had some health issues, this was completely unexpected.

Abby was a rescue and the effects of long-term starvation were something she couldn't overcome in the end. I have to comfort myself with the knowledge that her last year was filled with love and companionship, that she didn't want for anything. She doesn't seem to have suffered. She simply laid down and died.

It's amazing how fast the world spins. Hug your critters and be glad that they have loving concerned owners who want the best for them.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that, Soccermom. :( My son was only five or six when he went outside to feed the family dog and discovered her dead on the patio. I felt so bad (like you) that he was the one who discovered her. Hugs to you and the kids tonight.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Awwwwwwwww, man.
11 is young! I am so glad the good pony found a home with you.
Ours are rescues too, and one is the stressy kind. This winter, he seems to hae become old. He's 19, not ancient, and I wonder how long he'll go.

Big hugs and warmest condolences to you and your little ones.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, SoccerMom, I'm so sorry. Bless you for making that last year a good one.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
:Hug2:I am soooo sorry to hear about your loss. I know you must have felt horrible to know it was your children who found her. I don't think it's easy for anyone at any age to lose a beloved pet, but especially when a child find it. I hope your two new additions take away at least a little of the grief.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
I hope your family recovers from this sad find quickly, Mom. The timing of your helpful, pint-sized donkeys could not be better! Sometimes the best thing, and perhaps the only good thing, about sad events is how it lets us lean on each other who remain.

Okay, that being said, just remember: There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. And if you cannot see as far as the rest of us in this regard, it is because you are standing on the shoulders of littler donkeys!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
how horribly sad. I'm so sorry, S-Mom.
As a rescue, I hope you can take comfort in the fact that she died with you - being loved.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that SMom

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh that's just too bad. :Hug2:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your kind words. This has been a bitter lesson for my son. He worked so hard rehabbing that horse, but you can't always save them. It's a hard thing for a nine year old to learn.

But the last year of her life was all about her own comfort and that's something to be proud of. She was always so grateful for the love and attention. And she's being buried at a wonderful pet cemetary near one of my other horses. The people there are fantastic and always offer a shoulder. They listened to us ramble on and on last night and came to collect her today. I'm also blessed with a wonderful vet who went above and beyond the call of duty when I called her with the sad news last night.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your loss, Soccer Mom.

:e2grouphu

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that, Soccer Mom. We all know what a loving heart you have. Hugs to you and yours.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:

A similar tragedy happened to my 21-y-o son, who adopted a cat from the shelter last fall. She'd had breast cancer, but they'd removed the tumours and thought it wouldn't recur, but by December she was dead. At least her last few months were spent in a loving home, and not in the shelter.

But it hurts...

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Soccer Mom. It made a big difference that she was cared for and loved the last year of her life. :Hug2: