Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #26
swvaughn
done

swvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthoodswvaughn is a candidate for sainthood
My favorite line is:

The End

(C'mon . . . somebody had to say it. )
swvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #27
Joycecwilliams
practical experience, FTW

Joycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
From my WIP Bruised Fruit.

Quote:
I told my mother, "Tomatoes are the new gardenias."

Last edited by Joycecwilliams; 02-26-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Joycecwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #28
yttar

yttar is on a distinguished road
This is the last line from my 2006 NaNo, Like a Frothing Rabid Dog is Adorable.

I drank until my boyfriend lay dead in my arms.

Yttar
Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #29
Paichka
The BIC-Believer

Paichka has earned our admirationPaichka has earned our admirationPaichka has earned our admirationPaichka has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishD View Post
Nick was indestructible. I was pretty sure if the Earth was decimated by a nuclear holocaust, the only things that would survive would be cockroaches, Twinkies and Nick Murphy.
This is great!

Writing: What Happened to the Hoya?, SF Short
Editing: Hush, Horror short (Crit me? )
On sub: Slipper, Fantasy/Alternate History
The Devil and Gracie Price, Fantasy/Folktale

2009 Stats:
4 submissions/3 rejections/2 forthcoming pubs
Paichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #30
Paichka
The BIC-Believer

Paichka has earned our admirationPaichka has earned our admirationPaichka has earned our admirationPaichka has earned our admiration
From my favorite short story, Faithful:

Quote:
It’s strange the memories that burden the heart across years. I remember youth’s clumsy hands against my body; hot breath, sticky protestations of love. I do not desire my inconvenient husband and yet my mind is full of our fumblings. Of the lover for whom I burned, for whom I opened like a rosebud in the sun, I am left with no memories. The traps I laid for the callow youth, each dismantled by my earnest lover, I laid with my heart’s own longing. Each trap was sidestepped but the one that caught me tight.
From my WIP, Dance of the Burning Men:

Quote:
Gwen scanned the crowd. They were arrayed in sprawling lines, a clumsy mockery of neat rows and columns. Ogham had said she’d recognize the others by their eyes; a nice specific piece of advice, that. She supposed she could go ‘round and stare into all the eyes of her classmates. That wouldn’t be at all hard to explain. Hang on, just let me check to see if you’ve eyes to see the underbelly of the world, all right? Oh, certes. She’d make a lot of friends using that tack.

Writing: What Happened to the Hoya?, SF Short
Editing: Hush, Horror short (Crit me? )
On sub: Slipper, Fantasy/Alternate History
The Devil and Gracie Price, Fantasy/Folktale

2009 Stats:
4 submissions/3 rejections/2 forthcoming pubs
Paichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #31
Charlie Horse
Speaking in metaphors

Charlie Horse has earned our admirationCharlie Horse has earned our admirationCharlie Horse has earned our admirationCharlie Horse has earned our admiration
From my sci-fi comedy:

Quote:
As for Rodnax, the only company he had with him was Zorba, his reptile, and even though the slithering scaly creature was a fine conversationalist, he wasn’t much fun to snuggle up with at night.
Charlie Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #32
ishtar'sgate
living in the past

ishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for President
I don't know if it is my best one but it's one of my favorites. The line is from my medieval novel, The First Vial. An old guy in the kitchen is complaining about the new cook being a woman and how much he liked her husband who was cook before her.
"But she were ever railin' on 'im, 'til he fair leaped into 'is grave fer deliverance."
I like the word picture.
Linnea

new blog post - March 31
Positive Affirmation Babylonian Style
ishtar'sgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #33
Hillary
Neural Trailblazer

Hillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHillary is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm not actually a fan of my writing... But I liked this line:

Quote:
The sheet over the man’s head was pale blue, I remember that. Not a beautiful blue that would ruin early morning skies for the rest of your life, but a faded almost-gray blue, a giving-up blue, a color that would make you uneasy in hospital corridors.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:12 AM   #34
DWSTXS
Mr Mojo Risin...

DWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthood
We were doing just great there in the back seat, her hands all over me, her hair still in curlers, her pants around her knees, until she told me her policy of 'No glove, no love.' I shoulda made her walk home.

'I'm in the kitchen. . .with the tombstone blues.'

Pics:
http://www.pbase.com/dwstxs

WIP's-
Blue-Eyed Son -available on Amazon.com in print and Kindle versions - 119k

Untitled sci-fi work. currently at 40k
DWSTXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #35
windyrdg
New kid, be gentle!

windyrdg is a shiny, shiny jewelwindyrdg is a shiny, shiny jewel
For unforgettable imagery, this has always been one of my favorites. A woman returned home unexpectedly, opened the bedroom door and found her husband in bed with two women...

The girl in the bed raised her head in languid slow motion. As she did, a thin strand of drool attached to Michael’s p***s stretched out from her lip. After a moment, it broke and dribbled down her chest, glistening in the dim light. She stared at the doorway in a drugged stupor. Unlike the dancer, she seemed more confused than frightened.
windyrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 AM   #36
Varthikes
Dragon Writer

Varthikes is well-respected
From one of my completed works:

Quote:
“That dragon seems awfully intent on her,” David commented, his voice wary. “You aren’t planning to eat her, are you?”

Varthikes snapped his head around so that both golden eyes were on him. Never! he replied emphatically at the same time. I like Human younglings. He glanced down at little Katie, then looked back at David and added as an after-thought, Out of my mouth.

Draconia: Rehatching (104,980 words; 26 chapters complete) --2 more chapters!

Now Available:

In print and electronic formats.
Varthikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:41 AM   #37
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
ok, it's not a great line, but it pretty well encapsulates my MC

'For a moment there, I though the gods were favouring us,' he said. 'As if I should be so lucky. They're pissing laughter in their breeches. Bastards.'

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #38
Charlie Horse
Speaking in metaphors

Charlie Horse has earned our admirationCharlie Horse has earned our admirationCharlie Horse has earned our admirationCharlie Horse has earned our admiration
Here's my first contribution of the day.

Quote:
Like a fighter pilot in an old war movie, before Ben shot into--well...she had no idea where that craft was shooting into, it just seemed to disappear--he had mouthed the words, “I love you.” A bit over the top melodramatic perhaps but he was likely convinced he was about to die.
The only response she could muster to this was, “You have nice teeth”.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #39
Stew21
SuperModerator

Stew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Minor character to hyper-suspicious MC:

"Have another beer, conspiracy theorist."
Stew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #40
Saundra Julian
A work in progress

Saundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSaundra Julian is better than ice cream with hot fudge
This putrid war has done nothing for the women of the South but left them widowed, homeless and broken in spirit from the loss of their children.”

Another line, from another story...

“You are a real son-of-a-bitch, aren’t you?

Last edited by Saundra Julian; 02-28-2008 at 02:50 AM.
Saundra Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:20 AM   #41
Feathers
emerging from the writing cave

Feathers is a shiny, shiny jewelFeathers is a shiny, shiny jewel
From my unfinished story, Touching the Blood

Quote:
Bloated clouds sagged along the mountian's spine, spurting rain from their wounded bellies.
And from my WIP, given the part-time title of Waiver

Quote:
Kid heard himself scream, heard his body clatter back against the bars. Dave rattled the locks. Opened the door. Kid tumbled to the floor and threw up.
They're not witty or anything, but they captured exactly what I was trying to say at that moment.

Shutterbug Meets (Invisible) Girl

The First Reader
an aspiring YA author's blog
with posts on the writing process
author interviews
and other writerly stuff

Last edited by Feathers; 02-28-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:29 AM   #42
BlueLucario
Blood Elves FTW

BlueLucario has earned our admirationBlueLucario has earned our admirationBlueLucario has earned our admirationBlueLucario has earned our admiration
From my WIP:

The fat doctor walked out of the hallway and headed to the kitchen. But the way he walked intrigued me. He seemed to have the walking style of a duck and the appearance of a pot bellied pig!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #43
Charlie Horse
Speaking in metaphors

As I'm in the editing stage, I keep running across these that I had totally forgotten.

Quote:
“That’s the good stuff,” the CEO said smiling. “It’s like jet fuel with a pleasant aftertaste.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #44
Lyxdeslic
Laughing every time I choke.

Lyxdeslic is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLyxdeslic is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLyxdeslic is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLyxdeslic is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLyxdeslic is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLyxdeslic is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLyxdeslic is better than ice cream with hot fudge
The twelve years of corrosion that’d formed around this subject burned his tongue.

Lyx
Old 02-29-2008, 02:05 AM   #45
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
This is one I wrote today. I like it, hope you do too:

They pried steel away from cushions and found what was left of Lukeman. It took them a while to figure out how his head got were it was.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 AM   #46
Penguin Queen
Break the rules.

Location: Cardiff. Berlin. Mars. (One day.) Buenos Aires, sometimes.
Penguin Queen is a shiny, shiny jewelPenguin Queen is a shiny, shiny jewel
One of today's...

She was a tall, slim woman who wore jeans with long dark hair.

Oops.
"A relevant collection for now." (Beth Taylor, Western Mail)
MySpace

Penguin Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:09 AM   #47
underthecity
Finestkind

underthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I kind of like this one, some of which I added a few days ago. Setup: Linda thinks she's pregnant.

Worse still, she hadn’t started her period. It had been two weeks. So she made a side trip. On the passenger seat beside her lay a pharmacy bag. Inside was a pregnancy test. A plus for yes, a minus for no. Positive, negative. Happy, sad. Which one would it be?

Blog
Facebook
Four books at the Absolute Write Library

Currently revising: MOUNTAIN MAGIC
Currently trying to write: SNOWED IN
underthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #48
writemywrong
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

writemywrong is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if we are referring to lines only from stories or from any piece of writing, so here is one of each...

"No amount of make-up could make up for how ugly your soul is! You're soulless!"

you're a vortex of emotions
a black hole where love goes to die
and I'm just one more victim pulled down
by the gravity of your lies
Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #49
chevbrock

chevbrock is a splendid one to beholdchevbrock is a splendid one to beholdchevbrock is a splendid one to behold
"Letting your arse decide what to do on the racetrack is like letting your dick decide what to do when you're drunk - you're bound to end up with something ugly."

Troy Berrier has the world at his feet. He is about to take the freestyle motorcross world by storm when he wins the world MX-Stream game finals.

But Troy's definition of the word, “life”, is about to be shifted. The ensuing struggle will test his friendships and his faith in himself.

Email christinabatey@y7mail.com
chevbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #50
Oberon

Oberon is a shiny, shiny jewelOberon is a shiny, shiny jewel
From an autobiographical piece about WWII in a small town, "Billy's Field:"

We trooped down the road in shoes and socks, sweaters and jackets, carrying our virgin notebooks, pencils, pens and bottles of ink, a scrubbed platoon of condemned souls. As we shuffled past the white-gold waves of oats in Billy’s field I knew that coming home I would see only stubble, the shaven face of the field waiting for the first kiss of snow.