Weeding "that" out of your MS

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
It has recently come to my attention how the word "that" is used entirely toooooooooo much in manuscripts. (Similar to the use of the phrase "and then", though Microsoft Word doesn't LIKE it when you take the "and" out of "and then!" lol! And every time you re-spell/grammer check your document, it tells you so!) :poke:

SO ANYWAY, I went into my MS and used the "Find" feature in the edit menu of MS Word, trying to locate all of the unnecessary "that" words in my 15 chapter WIP....
(Granted, some "that's" ARE necessary, but some definately are not.)

I am only up to the 7th chapter so far using my handy little "Find" button, and I have already found 141 "that's" that I didn't need! :e2smack:

:e2faint::e2thud::e2faint:
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

LOL!!!!

Last edited:

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
When you finished did you say, 'well, that's that'?

Last edited:

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I am only up to the 7th chapter so far using my handy little "Find" button, and I have already found 141 "that's" that I didn't need!

Got one more for you. ;)

But really... I'm a BIG that-hater as well. I despise empty words in polished manuscripts and "that" is often a very empty word.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Hillary, what other "empty" words don't you like in MS's?
I want a list....
:D

It's hard to weed "that" out, because my brain keeps trying to put it into the sentences I write. Habits die hard, I guess.
:Soapbox:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
a hit list:

As - the damnable, eternal as!
was *-ing (*-ed)
as * was *-ing (*-ed)
*-ing beginnings
too much ing-ing in general
Could be heard (-seen, -felt)
The sound of
Suddenly
Almost
*-ness
*-ly
the

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Other constructions to look for and delete:

began to / started to
continued to
proceeded to
reached out/over and

In certain cases you do need to use these (for example, if someone starts to do something and the action is interrupted), but a lot of the time they're unnecessary.

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I find I'm guilty of the "as something, she was something" constructs. I didn't realize I was doing it at first, but editing later drafts it struck me.

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
I am a huge "that" writer. I use it alot writing my first drafts. I'm in the final edit of my WIP right now and am still finding some "thats" that are unnecessary. I've also found "almost" is a word I can do without most times.

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
Hillary, what other "empty" words don't you like in MS's?
I want a list....

It's hard to weed "that" out, because my brain keeps trying to put it into the sentences I write. Habits die hard, I guess.
:Soapbox:
My current WIP I'm polishing is in first person. (Don't groan!) Well the obvious problem was too many "I's" in it. I took the handy spell-checker and typed I+'space' (the character not the spelling here, it just doesn't show up right if I did that...)

Enlightening, sure. Discouraging...OMG yes!

Amy

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
a hit list:

As - the damnable, eternal as!
was *-ing (*-ed)
as * was *-ing (*-ed)
*-ing beginnings
too much ing-ing in general
Could be heard (-seen, -felt)
The sound of
Suddenly
Almost
*-ness
*-ly
the

The list of things to look for in my WIP is starting to rival the MS for size...:cry:

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I heard something like this from a book I read.

"When in doubt, leave it out."

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing all of these list of "empty" words down, so if ya'll have more you can think of, keep 'em coming!!!
:snoopy:

My WIP is in first person, also. I'll have to go through and check if I have too many I's... thanks for the tip! :D

And how in the world are you supposed to not use the word seems/seemed when using first person?!

I can't put "Uncle Thomas was mad and unconsiously stroking his mustache", because there is no way (first person) I can be in his head to know exactly how he is feeling or whether he is consious of doing something or not, so I have to put "Uncle Thomas seemed mad." Or "Uncle Thomas seemed unaware that he was stroking his mustache".... etc.
(ooops... I just used a "that" in that sentence! Eeek!) :e2bummed:

:e2cry:

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
I'm writing all of these list of "empty" words down, so if ya'll have more you can think of, keep 'em coming!!!
:snoopy:

My WIP is in first person, also. I'll have to go through and check if I have too many I's... thanks for the tip! :D

And how in the world are you supposed to not use the word seems/seemed when using first person?!

I can't put "Uncle Thomas was mad and unconsiously stroking his mustache", because there is no way (first person) I can be in his head to know exactly how he is feeling or whether he is consious of doing something or not, so I have to put "Uncle Thomas seemed mad." Or "Uncle Thomas seemed unaware that he was stroking his mustache".... etc.
(ooops... I just used a "that" in that sentence! Eeek!) :e2bummed:

:e2cry:
Uncle Thomas was stroking his mustache again. It was a sure sign he was getting mad.

No "that's" no "I's"

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Embarrassed to say I do that alot, I mean a lot....
*ducking as I type that*
:flag:
Also kindof instead of kind of, atleast instead of at least. Ofcourse instead of Of course.... Probably a couple of others I can't think of at the moment....

*blushes and vows to NEVER do it again, or at least to TRY not to.*

:scared:

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, out of curiosity, I just did a "Find All" search in my 15 chapter (first person) WIP for the word "seemed", and there were 35 out of 35,360 words. Not nearly as many as I thought I'd used....

I was able to replace several of them with a better word, and got the count down to 19 for the whole MS. That's only approximately one "seemed" per chapter. :tongue

:hat:

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
I was able to replace several of them with a better word, and got the count down to 19 for the whole MS. That's only approximately one "seemed" per chapter. :tongue

:hat:

Generally you can just delete seemed instead of replacing it. Instead of writing that 'something seemed a certain way', just write 'it was a certain way'. Seemed also kills any similies or metaphors you use.

For example, "The time seemed to pass quickly." vs. "The time passed quickly." The reader will know you aren't suggesting that the laws of physics were broken.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
But that's technically hard to do when you're using first person, because you can't be inside of ANYONE else's head.

Examples:

He seemed furious about my grades.
vs.
He was furious about my grades.
How can I know if he was feeling furious without being inside his head?

They all seemed satisfied with that, and the commotion finally died down.
vs.
They were all satisfied with that, and the commotion finally died down.
How can I know if they are feeling satisfied?

She seemed to try to regain her composure before she reached us.
vs.
She tried to regain her composure before she reached us.
How can I know if she is trying. I can only see that she is seeming to try.

She seemed unaware that she was scratching at her hair again.
vs.
She was unaware that she was scratching at her hair again.
How can I know if she is aware that she's doing something or not? I can only observe that she looks like she's unaware of it.