Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2007, 03:01 AM   #51
Appalachian Writer
Somewhere in the hills....

Appalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAppalachian Writer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey Guys!
Thanks with the help on Mollie Glick at Jean Naggar. She kept my partial around two weeks (Probably because of the holidays). Since she had such a reputation for getting back to authors within days, I took the two weeks as a good sign. Wrong. She sent me a gracious rejection this afternoon. I'm pretty sure it was a form rejection, but at least someone typed my name in the address line. The other agents who are looking at the partial haven't gotten back to me. Maybe I'll have joyous news to report soon.

Thanks Again,
Appy
Appalachian Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 AM   #52
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

clara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Writer
Hey Guys!
. She sent me a gracious rejection this afternoon. I'm pretty sure it was a form rejection, but at least someone typed my name in the address line.
Thanks Again,
Appy
Oh, darn. Sorry to hear that. lol, at least your spirits are still up. Good luck with the other agents.
clara bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #53
Pisarz
Happiest Camper Ev-ah Right Now

Pisarz leaves trails of profuse coolnessPisarz leaves trails of profuse coolnessPisarz leaves trails of profuse coolnessPisarz leaves trails of profuse coolnessPisarz leaves trails of profuse coolness
You caught her eye, Appy, so that's a good sign. Here's to many more requests for material (and an offer of representation, of course!).
Pisarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:09 AM   #54
nygirl
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

nygirl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor
Ditto. I've only had three agents ever ask for exclusives, and in all three cases they understood when I told them others were already reading.
I've had exactly the same experience. Two people emailed me, after I queried them, and said: "I'd love to read the full/partial manuscript but only if no one else is looking at it."
When I replied, "Uh, I'd love to send it to you, but other people already have it. Do you still want to read it?" Both of them replied: "Oh, yes, send it anyway."
I think exclusives are a bad deal for the writer. You have no guarantee the agent is going to offer you representation, and even if she does you don't have the chance to compare to see whether that person is the right agent for you... Why would you be "exclusive" with someone when you haven't even gone out on a first date?
I say avoid them if you can (and usually, you can).
nygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #55
andracill
practical experience, FTW

andracill is on a distinguished road
Jessica has had two partials of mine -- for one she asked for the full within ten days, the second was a no in less than two weeks -- she's fast, so you don't need to worry about the exclusive part of it, I don't think. Good luck!
andracill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:10 AM   #56
HippieGirl

HippieGirl is on a distinguished road
Red face Jessica Regel

Andracil - have you heard from Jessica Regel?? She requested a partial January 4th and I haven't heard yet...
HippieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #57
andracill

I bet you'll hear soon -- I've not heard of her taking much longer than three weeks, on average. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 AM   #58
carmar

carmar is on a distinguished road
Yikes! Should I panic or worry? Jessica Regal has had my partial (Unless it never arrived there) since mid-December. Should I e-mail her and see if it arrived...or just sit tight? Sitting tight is difficult since I granted her an exclusive and have other agents waiting.
carmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #59
andracill

When I let her have an exclusive the first time she requested from me, I put a time limit of three weeks on it -- and she requested the full before the time was up. With the full, I gave her six weeks, but it only took her about four to say no. I wouldn't panic or worry -- she's fast, but we did have a week or two of holidays there. If you haven't heard by the end of the month, it probably won't hurt to sq -- good luck!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:30 PM   #60
carmar

carmar is on a distinguished road
Question

Thanks Andracill...of course, today is the very last day of the month...would this be a good time to sq_ _?
carmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #61
JeanneTGC
I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
WPR Dominatrix

JeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For what it's worth, I sent a query and short synopsis to Jessica on 12-20; got a printed form letter rejection signed by Mollie Glick on 1-16. So, I don't know if this indicates that Jessica's not there any more or if it indicates that the receptionist just signs Mollie's name to most of the "not for us" rejections.

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
Coming December 2, 2014, Universal Alien -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Submit your poetry, humor & shorts to Raphael's Village!
JeanneTGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:09 AM   #62
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I got the same a few months back. Subbed to Jessica, got rejected by Mollie
waylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #63
clara bow
Li'l Rug Bug

clara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for Presidentclara bow should run for President
i e-queried ms. regel 1/7/07, still no word. but of course 3 weeks is *nothing*. i even forgot i had queried her. oh well. i think i'll go reject myself on her behalf.

later!
clara bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #64
Jenan Mac
The Deadliest Bunny

Jenan Mac leaves trails of profuse coolnessJenan Mac leaves trails of profuse coolnessJenan Mac leaves trails of profuse coolnessJenan Mac leaves trails of profuse coolnessJenan Mac leaves trails of profuse coolness
::joining the Rejected By Mollie Glick Club::

She's quite professional and pleasant. We ended up exchanging several emails because of a glitch in the process, and I think she would have been great to work with. Aside from the fact that she didn't love my novel, that is.

The bones tell me...nothing.

(Willow)
Jenan Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #65
Prevostprincess

Prevostprincess is well-respected
Mollie Glick

Mollie also asked me for an exclusive. I told her I couldn't, as my proposal was already out to a few other agents. She immediately emailed back to send it, anyway. A couple weeks later, she offered representation and I accepted! It took several (long) months, but she sold my memoir to Random House. I can't say enough good about her.

QUEEN OF THE ROAD The True Tale of 47 States, 22,000 Miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1 Poodle, a Husband and a Bus With a Will of Its Own (Broadway)
Borders Featured Book Club Pick, Target Breakout Book

Eat Pray Love - without the depression. Denver Magazine

Grade A. Rocky Mountain News

A Charles Kuralt-Albert Brooks-style romp where they meet up with nudists, robbers and more. New York Post

Charming, insightful.... hilarious... evokes the best of Bill Bryson and David Sedaris... the unique voice of a gifted memoirist. Jonathan Kellerman

I love this book. Jen Lancaster

Last edited by Prevostprincess; 06-04-2007 at 02:01 AM.
Prevostprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #66
MelodyO
Waiting for love on the web

MelodyO has a golden reputationMelodyO has a golden reputationMelodyO has a golden reputationMelodyO has a golden reputationMelodyO has a golden reputationMelodyO has a golden reputation
Jessica Regel

Hello there, has anybody had any dealings with Jessica Regel of the Jean V. Naggar agency? I'm trying my hardest to personalize my query to her (or even figure out if my query is really suitable for her), but I can find very little about her doing a google search.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:27 AM   #67
herdon
What's up?

herdon has a spectacular auraherdon has a spectacular aura
All I can tell you is that their website is about the worst I've ever seen. It's about as bad as those one page websites that scroll down forever and are jam packed with pictures and large fonts. You know, the ones that look like they were built in 1993.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #68
MelodyO
Waiting for love on the web

MelodyO has a golden reputationMelodyO has a golden reputationMelodyO has a golden reputationMelodyO has a golden reputationMelodyO has a golden reputationMelodyO has a golden reputation
Hee! I agree. I have a feeling they don't really need to advertise for new clients. But I want to be one anyway OMG!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:43 AM   #69
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I queried her by e-mail just over a year ago and got a std 'dear author' rejection back in 4 days.
waylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:43 AM   #70
Just Me 2021

Just Me 2021 has a spectacular auraJust Me 2021 has a spectacular aura
Jessica is totally legit and Jean Naggar agency is well established.
Just Me 2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 AM   #71
Maddog

Maddog is on a distinguished road
I had a close call with Jessica. Even talked to her on the phone (seeing Jean V Naggar on my caller Id was quite a thrill!) She ultimately passed on the project and another one I sent her. Seemed pleasant.
Maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #72
JamieFord
giving resonant directions

JamieFord has earned our admirationJamieFord has earned our admirationJamieFord has earned our admirationJamieFord has earned our admiration
I queried Jean and Jessica replied, ultimately asking for the full. I have offers already so she read it over the weekend and got back to me. She passed, but was very polite and responsive.

Quote:
Dear Jamie,
Thanks for the opportunity to consider THE PANAMA HOTEL. Your characters and setting are truly fantastic, but ultimately I'm not enthusiastic enough about the story to offer representation.

Best of luck with your new agent!

Sincerely,
Jessica Regel

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
, a New York Times Bestseller. Or a handy paperweight.
www.jamieford.com @jamieford
JamieFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:43 AM   #73
JRwriter

I met Molly Glick at last year's Book Expo and she suggested I submit to Jessica Regal. I haven't done so yet--long story--but I plan to soon. Any tips on what she looks for in a query?

Also, does anyone know anything about Lauren Abramo at Dystel & Goderich Literary Management--what books she has agented, etc.?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #74
Horseshoes
still thinking up something good to put here

Horseshoes is a shiny, shiny jewelHorseshoes is a shiny, shiny jewel
JR,
Mollie would look for her first name not to be spelled Molly. Just a great query. You'll be fine.
No experience w/ Abramo. But good luck.
Horseshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 AM   #75
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency, Inc. http://www.jvnla.com/2.html

They use an Amazon store for a client list: http://astore.amazon.com/jvnla-20
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote