The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
This is the first book where I identified with one of the characters to such an extent that it scared me. It’s a strange, but beautifully sad story. The premise of the book is ingenious and the author continued to add inventive ideas throughout the book.

Synopsis: A newly widowed Paul struggles to come to terms with his wife’s (Lexy) death, ruled an accident, and decides to teach their dog Lorelei how to speak. Lorelei was the only witness to Lexy’s death. Paul talks about their marriage, Lexy’s behavior and his need to understand what happened. In the end, he “… remembers [his] wife in white.”

I loved this emotional journey Paul lead me through along with the wallop of pain in finding out his wife’s true intent. Once Paul figured out he wasn’t a bad husband, and realized his wife's struggles, he was able to move on.

Has anyone else read this book? I’d be interested to hear what you think.

Last edited:

cress8

Registered
Reaction score
searching the world over for Calvin and Hobbes
Read it for a book group last July. I enjoyed it, although it was quite strange. I thought the premise got a little out of hand in the middle, even though I know the author was trying to convey the extent of this man's need to understand his wife's death. It got fair reviews from the others in my group. Curious--which character did you identify with?

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Read it for a book group last July. I enjoyed it, although it was quite strange. I thought the premise got a little out of hand in the middle, even though I know the author was trying to convey the extent of this man's need to understand his wife's death. It got fair reviews from the others in my group. Curious--which character did you identify with?
I agree that some parts were strange, sick even, but it fit with the characters and storyline.

I identified with Lexy about certain things.

Prickly Pear

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting premise, and I absolutely loved the opening chapters. But it felt to me like the author was straining to keep things interesting in the second half of the book. Not all of the risks she took worked for me. But I think she's a good writer and I would pick up another book by her. Have you read her Lost and Found?