• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cacoethes Publishing House, LLC

cant

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised that no other Cacoethes authors have any comment on this topic.

Last edited:

massaker

Registered
Reaction score
I too am a Caco author and I also received the email.
Like SimoneElyse I also started asking questions about my book and I have yet to receive a reply.

I haven't received any copies, any answers, just SOMETHING to let me know what's going on.

And the sad thing is that I've had friends and other people who've asked me questions about when and where to buy it but I've heard from authors about orders they placed that they haven't received yet. So I'm afraid to tell people when and where to purchase it.

It's beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

Kea

Registered
Reaction score
I am new here (obviously) and glad I found this thread. I, too, am contracted with Cacoethes though my book isn't due out until this summer. I did not receive that press release but it certainly interests me.

I have other works that I would like to place but I have decided to do a little more research and see if I can find another publisher.

Biting my nails...

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
I've been monitoring their forum, hoping to see some improvement in the news coming out of their authors. Three new entries this morning, and none of them are good.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Just don't confuse your role in promotion. If you're the one trying to get reviews and books stocked in stores, there's something wrong. A writer's focus first and foremost is writing.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Well if you say so. I do honestly wish you all the best, but out of all the published writers I've seen on this board who talk about their book sales, not one has ever said that they had to extensively push their book. The majority of their sales comes thanks to the efforts of their publisher (regardless of large, medium or small publisher).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It depends what you consider fine. I have always wanted to add Cacoethes to my sales data set, but no volunteers so far. In my experience 'in line with other small presses' can mean not very many sales. (erecsite.com)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The question is whether Cacoethes delivers the best possible for POD format, as compared to Ellora's Cave, Samhain, Loose Id etc. There are very distinct differences in sales between presses even in the same genre and format.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my pre-sales, and I think the company are making changes that will benefit their writers. Carolina is a fun book, and I'm glad I had the chance to get it published.
Well, I hope you'll come back in a year to share your experiences. Best of luck to you.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Well I truly wish you luck. Their book prices don't appear to be very competitive, unless that's a hardcover.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Then I hate to say it, but it looks like they overpriced your book. $15 seems an awful lot for a paperback of any size.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Then I hate to say it, but it looks like they overpriced your book. $15 seems an awful lot for a paperback of any size.

Actually I see many trade paperbacks that price and more.. Especially the ones from smaller publishers.

Harlequin has some listed for $11-$13.00

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I bought a trade paperback for $19.95 last week -- but it was an anthology of four novels by a New York Times best-selling author (R. A. Salvatore). And I had a coupon. :)

OTOH I have seen a lot of trade paperbacks starting at $15, from both big and small publishers. The pricing depends on the niche. I think $14 used to be more typical for some trade paperbacks, but prices are creeping up. Higher prices are common for very thick books or for some types of nonfiction. (For example, in-depth true crime, biographies of Wild West personages, etc.)

These days, in most cases, I don't want to take a chance on that kind of money, even if I know the author or know I can trust the publisher. When both the publisher and the author are new to me, I'm not going to buy it. I might look the book up and look for trusted reviews, but I'm just as likely to put it down with a little "Eek!" There are too many other books to spend my money on (not to mention little things like food and clothing).

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The book hasn't been released. So I can't comment from personal experience at this point. Certainly it is vital that customers receive their books. But my own customers won't receive their books until my official release date: March 27th.

Ah. Sorry, I seem to have gotten confused for no reason--your post was perfectly clear.

Well, keep us posted. There have been other folks who posted on this thread about their pre-sale customers not receiving the books they ordered. My hope would be that those issues are worked out.

cant

Registered
Reaction score
I myself did not have ARC's distributed (despite my request for that to be done), nor have I received a royalty statement yet - among other issues.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
My first books were priced around $15 - both books around 200 pages and trade paperback size. My next two, from a slightly larger publisher, retail for $13 each, and are also slightly longer novels.

Depends on the printer and the publisher, but it's not unreasonable at $15.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
it seems right now like some authors are happier, and some aren't. I'm hoping in time that all the authors will be content. Speaking for myself, I know communication is better, and I know my book is being prepared for the marketplace. In terms of my contract being fulfilled, it is so far. That's my experience. I know several authors who received royalty statements, I'm sorry that can't has not, and I hope she will get one soon.
I thought 15 dollars was pretty sensible. I rarely buy a book that costs less than that. But it's not my decision anyway...
oh, brainstorm, thanks for the good luck...of course I will need all of it LOL

No problemo :)