• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cacoethes Publishing House, LLC

cant

Registered
Reaction score
OK, here's a 'hypothetial' question for you.

Say you have a publisher for your book. They are going to release it in a couple of weeks in ebook format. Supposedly about a month after that they are going to release it in print version. They work in a sort of POD format, they don't do an actual printing, but will POD your book starting 1 1/2 months from now.

Say you heard a rumor that the company was going downhill fast and might not last much longer Obviously you have a contract with said publisher. Are you screwed? Or is there a way out of this?

I realize your answer will probably be either "Yes, you're screwed" or "I need more details", but without details I was just curious if anyone had any ideas, or had been in a similar situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

ejket

Noobus Perpetuus
Registered
Reaction score
Going on the information given, I'd hope for the best and write another, better book. (There is no publishing misfortune that can't be mitigated by writing another, better book.)

This may sound trite, but it's true. As for the work that you may have lost, do what you can to get your rights back if the publisher is in fact on the brink of failing, but there's every reason to just keep on writing rather than pegging your emotional well-being to the fate of this book.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What does your contract say about your rights being returned to you if the publisher goes under?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
What does your contract say about your rights being returned to you if the publisher goes under?

This is an all importan question. You need your rights returned if this publisher takes a fall. I had it happen to me.

Tri

Actually, given current US Bankruptcy laws, this is a supremely unimportant question. The contract can say whatever it likes, but the bankruptcy court will see your rights as assets and will seize them. It can do this with any asset the publisher has dumped in the last six months before they file for bankruptcy.

By all means do what you can to get your rights back, but I wouldn't rush to submit that work anywhere else until you know what's happening with the publisher,

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
Your best hope is that the company simply closes down and takes the trouble to do it cleanly, returning rights. (It does occasionally happen -- I had one micropress do this with an anthology I was in when the publisher realised that she no longer had the resources she needed to do the job properly, and I know of others.) But it's much more likely to be messy, with either a bankruptcy or a disappearing act.

Don't give up hope of getting that book back, because you've got a reasonable chance of doing so eventually. But plan on the basis that you're not going to have unencumbered rights for a while. As ekjet says, start writing another book, if you haven't already done so.

"Start writing the next book" is generally a good answer, and is what you do anyway the day you finish the final revision pass on the last book and send it on its way to a publisher. However, if you signed a contract with a nasty option clause giving them the right to your next book, you may need to tread carefully when you finish it and want to start submitting it.

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
A warning to other authors at the site would be nice. If enough authors got together before the site went done, maybe they could all get their rights back. Just a thought...Hypothetially, of course

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
In the scenario where the bankruptcy court does seize rights as assets, what happens to them, say, 2-3 years down the road? Does the court sell them off? If so, to whom? Does the buyer then tie up one's rights for a certain further time period? Or do they simply vanish into the ether?

No personal axe to grind, just wondering.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
This sounds like Light Sword...

This sounds like the author is talking about Light Sword Publishing. My best advice would be to quickly consult an attorney with a bit of experience in IP (intellectual property) contracts.

You need to move quickly to protect yourself if it can still be done.

LIght Sword seems, from what I've heard, to be hanging by a thread, and Linda Daly is dunking herself in that river in Egypt. You don't owe her loyalty...you owe yourself and your book the best protection you can get.

Hie thee to an attorney.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

cant

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all, for your replies.

There is a clause in my contract that states I receive rights after bankruptcy.

It's not Light Sword publishing. I would like to warn the other authors, but I don't have enough credible info and I've found that no good deed goes unpunished.

It is tough to imagine scrapping the book, it means a lot to me. But we shall hope for the best! Everything happens for a reason.

Thanks again! I have a friend who is an attorney and hopefully he will get me started on the right foot.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Do, however, make sure the attorney is very familiar with IP law, or that s/he refers you to a lawyer who is. Intellectual property, I'm told, can be a veritable swamp.

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Please warn the other authors too, if you can. They need to do something as well to protect themselves. You would be doing each and everyone of them a favor. Hopefully everything goes alright with you.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Have you searched for the publisher's name on AW? You might find there are warnings out already.

cant

Registered
Reaction score
C2CKim, I would love to warn the other authors but I have a non-disparagement clause in my contract and I'm nervous to say anything to anyone when I don't really have concrete info. Plus, my source is someone I really respect and I don't want to get them in trouble.

So I'm really in an awkward position and I'm a bit wracked with guilt to be honest! I'm the type who likes to be Paul Revere about things but over the years I've gotten into more trouble than it was worth.

I'm hoping maybe my attorney friend will be able to help me with this issue too - but you know how they are - he'll probably advise me to keep quiet.

Also, if I wanted to warn the others, I wouldn't want to put it in writing - and I don't have their phone numbers or anything.

cant

Registered
Reaction score
Have you searched for the publisher's name on AW? You might find there are warnings out already.

I did, when I initially submitted 6 months ago and there was no negative stuff at that time.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Have you considered speaking confidentially with Ann or Victoria from WB? They may have more information about your publisher or at least be able to help you more than we can based on the scant amount of information you have provided in this thread.

cant

Registered
Reaction score
Have you considered speaking confidentially with Ann or Victoria from WB? They may have more information about your publisher or at least be able to help you more than we can based on the scant amount of information you have provided in this thread.

That's a good idea actually...I usually feel too guilty to ask others for help though, although I am feeling a little desperate. Again, I'm keeping my fingers crossed my friend will be able to at least show me a course of action.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Definitely check with your attorney. Have him/her check to see whether the contract has a buy-out clause. With a lot of epublishers, there's a section of the contract that allows the author to buy the book back BEFORE release of the book by paying the company's out of pocket expenses. If you're worried enough to fear for the book's reputation and sales, it might be a small price to pay.

It was for me. I had to pay about $300 to an epub for our first book to get out of the deal, but shortly thereafter got an agent and a print deal with a five figure advance! Definitely worth it, IMO.

Good luck and please---if you can, mention it to Ann and Victoria by PM. They're really good at keeping things confidential, but have a way of letting others know the truth about publishers when the time is right. :Hug2:

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
but is it disparaging if you question what's going on inside the company? and what ask what you can do to protect yourself?
you don't have to put the company down in any way but don't the people that work for the company or have a contract with that company have the right to know if something is going on that could potentially hurt other people? and shouldn't that company do what it can to protect its assets, namely the authors invovled? Hypotheticaly of course?
I understand that not everyone is ethical but come on, if I were running a business and I knew I was going under I certainly would want to protect the people that worked for me

cant

Registered
Reaction score
Victoria,

I've sent an email to ya this afternoon.

Thank you for your interest. And thanks again everyone for your advice.