• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Black Rose Writing (Reagan Rothe)

Rodlen

Registered
Reaction score
Lets see...advertised on the PAMB...owner's book printed by PA...advertising owner's book...promises to advertise...oh, come on. This feels very strange...as if this is PA in another form.

This feels like it should be a topic of its own.

http://www.blackrosewriting.com/index.html

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The ultimate goal: Black Rose Writing will be able to promote, advertise, and produce your dedicated stories either through the company itself or with other publishing connections. We want to make your writing successes possible and eliminate the fear of a difficult and lengthy experience.

Gee, will they be selling my book to PA so it can have the chance it deserves?

Rodlen

Registered
Reaction score
Very appropriate lolcats pic.

I hope that Reagan Rothe is only a well-meaning person who was fooled by PA.

I also hope that Reagan Rothe will break away from PA.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'm a bit confused by the Black Rose webpage. The author seems to be saying that he wants to be an editor.

Black Rose Writing features many writing services, let us do your editing and rewriting, write your query letters or proposals, initialize contacts, or even simply just offer our consultation on any writing platform.

On the other hand, maybe he wants to be a literary agent.

The main focal points of my work, and work I would someday like to represent, are:

I also checked his book on Amazon, where it has three five-star reviews, one from the author himself and two from people who live in the same state as he does and who offer generic, uncritical praise. At least that's par for the course with a PA-printed novel; the editing services and representation parts are what's new.

blackrosewriting

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for a publisher?

Readers,

We are welcoming all writers to visit our website and submit their manuscripts!

Black Rose Writing has updated its website. There is now an option to purchase an Autographed Copy of Misanthropy: Book I: The Tower on "The Works" page. You can click the BUY NOW button and pay for the autographed novel via PayPal. In the future, you will be able to purchase any of Reagan Rothe's work as well as the published work from Black Rose Writing's gifted authors.

We are also nearing a release date for Catalina Cristescu Geornoiu's Everchanging Seasons. The poetry book will retail for $12.95 and would make a nice addition to any coffee table. More information @ www.blackrosewriting.com on the "Latest News" page.

Also drawing closer to a release date is Sword of Eibhlin: A Tale of Love not Lost, by Jack Sorenson, w/ special guest writing from Reagan Rothe. This action-packed, medieval romance novel should hit the shelves with a bang. It is suitable for all ages, but just gritty enough for the more hardcore fiction fans. More information @ www.blackrosewriting.com on the "Latest News" page.

The Black Rose Poetry Book is still being put together as well, featuring a collection of great poets. We are hoping to have this poetry book out by Christmas 2008. We have had many submissions, but are still searching for those that fit best and will enhance the poetry piece. As always, we need your poems!

Black Rose Writing has been featured on the cover of the PublishedAuthors webpage, http://publishedauthors.ning.com/. Scroll down and there we are...

Thank you again for all the support and feedback. Please let us know any of your comments or questions?

Sincerely,

Public Relations Department
Black Rose Writing
www.blackrosewriting.com
[email protected]

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I had to cut and paste the addy. You don't have the links written correctly here. When I accessed the website, I had trouble. Seemed Windows thought it was suspicious (I know, Windows is paranoid, but still....) And PublishAuthors I believe takes anyone who wishes to join. Also, do you pay? And will you come back to answer my question?

(Did manage to get this from BIO):"...my first novel, Misanthropy: Book I: The Tower was released by Publish America, LLLP., in May 2006. ")

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Swinging this to an existing thread discussing Black Rose.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are some sample contract terms, such as length of contract, rights being purchased, royalties paid, etc.?

Also, you might be careful offering agenting and publishing services under one umbrella name. This is considered a huge red flag as it may represent a conflict of interest.

Last edited:

blackrosewriting

Registered
Reaction score
I'm truly sorry you are all so critical and negative of my work and attempt to build a publishing house that believes in everything that PublishAmerica doesn't.

The only reason I have them on my site is because i believe in honesty and not hiding a past mistake. Yes... I published through them a few years ago, not knowing.

We, at Black Rose Writing, have no ties with PA. We believe in personal publishing and will do whatever it takes for our authors. We have three great writers ready for their soon book release and have received nothing but praise from anyone we've worked with.

I'm sorry again you are so strongly against my efforts to create something special. I wish you all the best of luck with any future endeavors!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
We, at Black Rose Writing, have no ties with PA.

I think it would be useful for you to talk about how you do publish, then. The way your site is constructed now, there's no information about that at all, and it's a logical conclusion to draw that you might work via PA.

Of course, your soliciting for submissions on the PA message boards might also contribute to that.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I'm sorry again you are so strongly against my efforts to create something special. I wish you all the best of luck with any future endeavors!

No one is against you trying to "create something special."

What people are criticisizing is the lack of concrete details on your official website, among other things. To repeat BenPanced's excellent questions:

What *are* some sample contract terms, such as length of contract, rights being purchased, royalties paid, etc.?

Also, are you aware that offering agenting and publishing all under one roof could be viewed as a conflict of interest?

Consider answering these questions and concerns, instead of throwing up your hands and crying "Oh, you horrible mean people!'

Reactions: jessiewinterspring

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
The poetry book will retail for $12.95 and would make a nice addition to any coffee table.

Right. I'm to spend 12.95 + shipping for something to put on my coffee table besides my size 8s. You need a better copywriter for your e-catalog.

Who are the poets? Have they ever been professionally--as in someone paid them real money--published? Have you excerpts up people can sample? I'm just sayin'...

It's great to want a publishing business, but have you interned or worked for a commercial publishing house?

Interned or worked for a legit literary agency?

Interned or worked for a legit editing business?

Interned or worked for ANYTHING to do with commercial publishing? Running the register at a bookstore doesn't count.

Enthusiasm--you can't buy it, but most of us are unable to take a new publishing business seriously if there's little to no evidence of worthwhile experience behind it.

I can start my own publishing business tomorrow if I get the software and put the website up. I've been a selling writer since 1986 and lately an editor--but that still doesn't mean I have the right background to make it work.

I hope it goes well for you, but more information on your website that addresses the concerns expressed here is needed to win folk over.
icon7.gif

Last edited:

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
As I said on another board, Reagan (and as Gillhoughly put it so well), neither commerical publishing nor being a literary agent is an entry-level job. It takes years of learning the ropes before you're ready to hang out your shingle. For instance, just some of things an agent must be aware of going in is knowing who's buying what, what the submission guidelines are, which way the market is trending, the difference between first North American rights and sub-rights, what's involved in secondary marketing, what basketing means (and why it's usually a bad thing), and on, and on, and on.

To go in half-assed is simply toying with other people's dreams.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm truly sorry you are all so critical and negative of my work and attempt to build a publishing house that believes in everything that PublishAmerica doesn't.

The only reason I have them on my site is because i believe in honesty and not hiding a past mistake. Yes... I published through them a few years ago, not knowing.

We, at Black Rose Writing, have no ties with PA. We believe in personal publishing and will do whatever it takes for our authors. We have three great writers ready for their soon book release and have received nothing but praise from anyone we've worked with.

We're only asking questions that we ask any prospective agent or publisher, new or established, especially since the answers aren't available on your site.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
The ultimate goal: Black Rose Writing will be able to promote, advertise, and produce your dedicated stories either through the company itself or with other publishing connections. We want to make your writing successes possible and eliminate the fear of a difficult and lengthy experience.
But for now...

Black Rose Writing strives for the chance to help new and aspiring writers get started. Whether your work includes novels, poetry, short stories, screen-writing, etc..., we are here to help, thankful for the opportunity. Please view our Submission guidelines before contacting...

Black Rose Writing serves as a writing forum, with current information on the creator, Reagan Rothe, and his future works and news listed on the Biography page. We want to know your writing hopes and dreams. And if you want answers, we have them.

Black Rose Writing promises a commitment to constantly better itself from the inside. We are ever-working to broaden our understanding of a vast and sometimes frustrating field. From writing query letters to getting published to publishing companies themselves, we have the feedback and experience you need. Let us know if you need our help or templates.

Black Rose Writing features many writing services, let us do your editing and rewriting, write your query letters or proposals, initialize contacts, or even simply just offer our consultation on any writing platform.

Your site mentions other editing services. What do you charge for those?
Who pays for the book to be printed and advertised before you reach your "ultimate goal" you mention on the site?

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

A very fair question: Have you ever been commercially published? I have. Many times. I'm still stinky at writing queries and leave the contracts to my agent who has more experience at that sort of thing.

What the heck does "consultation on any writing platform" mean? The sign of good writing to me is being able to clearly communicate an idea to another party. "Writing platform" just gives me a mental picture of off-shore oil rigs. I've tried to shake it, but without success.

Pop quiz for new agents: What is joint-accounting, and is it a good thing for a writer to have in a multi-book contract? What about for a publisher offering the contract?

Who are the acquistions editors for St. Martin's? Random House? Harlequin? Ellora's Cave?? My agent knows, I sure don't.

A couple years back a neo in one of my workshops was giddily enthused about her book about writing. She and her (also neo) pals had written a lengthy non-fiction effort on how to be a writer, how to write, even what food is good to chow down on while writing, and other stuff. She'd located a printer. They even remembered to use the spell check. It was going to be a hit with struggling writers everywhere.

Just one catch: not one of them had published so much as an editorial in the school paper, let alone sold anything to a commercial house. I was astonished they thought they could teach anyone anything about writing, and at the time "blind leading the even more blind" flitted through my brain.

But they weren't going to let a little detail like that stop them!

I was told not to rain on their parade. It would have been cruel.

They sold a couple copies at a convention, lost money on the deal, and ten years later the one who headed the project is STILL not professionally published. Apparently she was unable to follow her own writing advice in the book. :Shrug:

So, yeah. We beez skeptics.

Jim Baen of Baen Publishing got his start in the complaints department of Ace.

Lester Del Rey sold short stories, flipped a lot of burgers, and later took a job as a reader at the Scott Meredith literary agency.

Last edited:

blackrosewriting

Registered
Reaction score
Since they're a barrage of questions... I will do my best to answer them all.

First, we are only a publishing house, and a NEW one. We offer freelance services outside of publishing. It isn't really that hard to decipher. I'm sure Random House and Del Rey had an itemized list of successful clients and testimonials their opening month. We are offering our help and knowledge to new, inexperience writers, making sure they have the best education presented to them and can make a choice that benefits their needs.

Second, we pay royalties starting @ 10%, with possible advances in the future, and never... ever ask for one penny from our writers or authors EVER! You will never pay a cent!

Third, being a new publishing house has make us hungry and willing to do as much promoting for the author as within our budget. We're not trying to hide anything... ever.

Everything I've said or the website says is honesty--and if we are criticized for it, then that's okay.

I'm sorry if I missed a question or concern... I would really like to develop a relationship and learn from YOUR (the forum vets) experiences!

Thank you for your feedback,

blackrosewriting

Registered
Reaction score
We pay for everything...

We distribute to Amazon, B&N, Borders, etc... and have a relationship with an Asst. President in Books A Million

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
We are offering our help and knowledge to new, inexperience writers

Some of the wording on your website leaves me in doubt about what kind of help and knowledge you offer in the editorial department.

Something that's meaning is forced or handed out to the reader like a tossed-away flyer grows tiresome for a yearning mind. It insults the reader's intelligence; a hungry brain that's core searches for a higher understanding.

The above quote gives me the impression that whoever wrote it is also an inexperienced writer, and as such, may not be in the best position to help others.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the question is how you intend to produce the actual books. i.e. what printer? These things are normally very clear with a publisher.

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
We offer freelance services outside of publishing.

But is this not a conflict of interest? It's definitely a route that has been abused by well-intentioned new-comers in the past. What makes your iteration of this any different?

We are offering our help and knowledge to new, inexperience writers, making sure they have the best education presented to them and can make a choice that benefits their needs.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but what exactly qualifies you to advise inexperienced writers? Do you have years of experience? Have you worked for a large commercial publisher? A small commercial publisher? Try not to get defensive about this . . . these are questions the writers you're wanting to help will ask you -- unless you're specifically targeting the hopelessly clueless.

What sort of distribution plan do you have in place?

How will you get your product on store shelves?

To put it bluntly (and as was phrased quite well up-thread): publisher isn't an entry level job. You stand to do more harm than good to your writers if you go into this with rose-colored glasses and pipe dreams of revolutionizing a system that isn't broken.

Thanks,

Scott