The REAL Original CHEX Party Mix recipe

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Your humble author remembers when Gardetto's Snack'ens came on the market with a starburst on the label proclaiming something like "Preferred 2 to 1 over CHEX Party Mix!"

General Mills, who had already bought out the CHEX cereals franchise from Ralston Purina, pulled the ol' "If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em" and acquired Gardetto's as well, renaming "Snack'ens" as "Original Party Mix". Not content with owning a pair of former competitors, they contaminated the original CHEX Party Mix recipe gene pool by introducing ingredients that made it into a homemade version of, well, Gardetto's. Essentially, they're engaging in culinary revisionism, calling the adulterated recipe the "original."

Did they really think they could get away with it? In the 1950s and 1960s, there were no such things as "bite-size garlic-flavored bagel chips."

If your party theme is retro or nostalgic, or you've made "original" party mix only to be disappointed with a taste that failed to bring back memories of Christmases and New Year's Eves past, here's the REAL Original CHEX Party Mix recipe, circa 1960.

Keep the truth alive.

The REAL Original CHEX Party Mix

1 stick (1/2 C) butter or margarine
1 1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt
4 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 1/3 cups Corn Chex
2 1/3 cups Rice Chex
2 1/3 cups Wheat Chex
1 cup small pretzels
1 cup salted mixed nuts

Heat oven to 250. Melt butter in 15x10x2 pan; remove pan from oven.
Stir in seasoned salt and worchestire sauce.
Gradually add cereal, pretzels, and nuts, stirring to coat evenly.
Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Spread on paper towels to soak up excess oil.

Last edited:

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Can I leave out the pretzels? Pretzels never taste right in mixes. I like them plain and by themselves.
Why, of course. I leave in the pretzels and substitute Zatarain's Cajun Seasoning for the seasoned salt and call it "Cajun-Kissed Party Mix."

Ad from 1952.

If you zoom into it you can read the recipe. No pretzels at all.
Yeah, the pretzels were introduced in the 3-cereal variation from the 1960s when Corn CHEX arrived on the scene.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
We make this every year. Just made some this afternoon, in fact, and I should probably go get a snack...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you leave out the salt? And the Worcestershire sauce? And the butter? And the Chex cereals? And just serve the nuts and pretzels kthnxbai? (Not a fan of Chex Mix COULDJA TELL?!)

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Thanks, Joe. I lurrve the original Chex mix, and have made it every Christmas for the past thirty years (my wife leaves it to me as she can't stand the stuff; silly woman). I always throw a dab of extra Worcestershire sauce in it; love the bite.

The stuff in the bags, of course, is an affront to God and man, and some party reveler brings it into our house upon pain of death and/or watching Me and the Chimp reruns.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
The whole point of Chex mix is that you make it yourself, and it feels like you've done something, but it isn't actually cooking. It's the most perfect of fifties foods, right up there with the TV dinner and the biscuit mix. Buying it in boxes is pointless--you might as well just order a pizza if you don't want to cook.

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've brought back some happy memories for me about eating homemade Chex as a kid. Funny, I can taste them right now, as if I had my hands in the bowl, and I was ready to down another handful. Mmm. :)