The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Interesting that PA might have finally slipped up and violated their own contract thus giving back the rights to all those books.

Dear Ex-PA writers and future ex-PA writers,

Here's your chance to cut free! They screwed up--take advantage of it.

Get screen caps as proof they're in breach of contract and GO FOR FREEDOM!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I don't think anyone should be jumping to conclusions about contract breaches. Books vanishing from a publisher's website, even for an extended period of time, doesn't necessarily add up to discontinued publication. Plus, an author's say-so doesn't make it so; PA can always present some kind of counter argument.

It might be interesting to test this, but lawyers would have to be involved.

- Victoria

Sepisllib

Truth, gentle or not!
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Ex-PA writers and future ex-PA writers,

Here's your chance to cut free! They screwed up--take advantage of it.

Get screen caps as proof they're in breach of contract and GO FOR FREEDOM!

Will keep you posted when, or if, I receive a reply.

I am sure they, PA, will have a great answer for this one.

Just thought the time was good to call them on it.

God Bless

Bill

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
IIRC, the terms of my contract with PA state that all promotion of the book is at PA's discretion. That would mean they are not required to have the book listed on their website. Not that I'm sticking up for PA (far from it), but that contract promises almost zero to the author. Almost everything is at PA's discretion. So, if a book (or twenty) doesn't show up in their online bookstore, I don't think it's actually a breach of contract. Making the book available is different than marketing or promoting it. The book is still available, just not online or in any kind of easy-to-find way, sadly.

Sepisllib

Truth, gentle or not!
Registered
Reaction score
After spending most of the day in La Crosse Wisconsin (Gunderson Hospital for appointment), I returned home to find my reply - exactly as expected.

Here it is.

Dear Bill Trammell:

Thank you for your email. Your contracts for your books are not discontinued. We are currently having technical issues with our online bookstore and this is why your books are not showing up. We are in the process of correcting the issue and it should be resolved by the end of the week. Should you or anyone like to place an order for your books, you may do so by calling support at 301-695-1707 and we can place the order for you. I Thank you for your patience.

---------------------
Advertisement: PublishAmerica recommends "The Eden Effect" by Bryan Goings, a scientist discovers the Tree of Life: http://www.publishamerica.net/product93848.html.
---------------------

Thank you and have a good day,
Raymond
PublishAmerica Support
[email protected]

God Bless

Bill

Sepisllib

Truth, gentle or not!
Registered
Reaction score
I won't post it here, however their response was the same as always. Give us $299 (for each one) and we will release it - we just need to cover our expenses.

God Bless

Bill

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
PA has their newest offering, The Published Chefs' Cookbook, on their front page. I went to Amazon to see if it was listed or had the search inside feature. No and no. PA can't even seem to promote their own books!

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
... PA can't even seem to promote their own books!

Don't you take that tone with us. ANY book printed by PA can be a bestseller as long as the author(s) promote it. Promotion=$=Sales
So if you buy our book, we'll promote your book and we get rich.

Last edited:

Sepisllib

Truth, gentle or not!
Registered
Reaction score
Guess I don't understand this particular post - do you have a book published (and I say that with difficulty) by PA?

God Bless

Bill

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Sarcasm Rehash Scramble

Thats because the new 3D glasses haven't started being promoted yet. Then you'll see both sites have their place.

Coming SOON+

See your words in 3D!!!!

No longer content with mere 2D reading? NEW PAYPERDPA Imprint books will be printed in special ink. Order five copies now and EACH will ship* with their own super spechul 3D glasses.

What makes a story pop to Hollywood? An author-signed copy! We can ship* every 3D novel to your address with all the forwarding information so every single A-list star in Hollywood can be blessed by your words in exciting 3D!

Only those using coupon PAYPER will be considered eligible. No other form of novel will be printed+ until all 3D copies have been sold. Minimum purchase is five copies. All orders final. Credit Cards accepted as long as your sign despute charge waiver for shipping purposes.

If that was the voice of PA, why did it sound like Barney Fife farting out of balance? {sic}

+Time of existence to be determined at publishers discretion
*Separate processing, handling, shipping, signing and filing charges will apply

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I haven't been to PA's site in a while, so I apologize if someone made note of this already.

Is it just me or is the quote on their front page under the heading "Publish America did a fantastic job" not actually that much of a compliment? It pretty much says, "I thought publishers did things besides print books, but now PA's told me they don't, so I think PA did a great job doing absolutely nothing except print my book."

If that's the best they can get anyone to say about them, I shudder to think what their complaints look like. Either that or the quote's only up there to hold as an example of how authors should be grateful despite getting none of the things they expected.

Neil Larkins

Registered
Reaction score
Hunnerd smackers gets you what?

Been kinda quiet on the PA stuff, eh what? Here's a thingy:
Give PA a hundred bucks and that'll get your book into the Amazon Studios Project. Ain't got time t'nite to give it all to you, the email I got, but probably a lot on PA's site. Anyone else?