'if nobody speaks of remarkable things' by Jon McGregor

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody read it?

The author really breaks all the rules of writing and I thought I was going to find it completely unreadable after the first couple of pages, but now I've got into it I'm finding it very very beautiful.
Just wondered what anyone else thought of McGregor's rule-breaking style.

And if you haven't read it, here's a taste. The punctuation is all Mr McGregor's:

The short girl with the painted toenails, next door, she says oh but did you see that guy on the balcony, he was nice, no he was special and she savours the word like a strawberry, you know she says, the one on the balcony, the one who was speeding and kept leaning right over, and they all know exactly who she means, he's in the same place most weeks, pounding out the rhythm like a panelbeater, fists crashing down into the air, sweat splashing from his polished head.
She says once I was there and he got so carried away that he hung from the balcony by his legs, he had his feet hooked under the rail, and she remembers the way his face had stretched into a furious O, going come on let's have some and she remembers his fists still flailing across the void like an astronaut lost in orbit.

A girl sleeps in the back bedroom of number eleven, her hair is pushed out of her eyes by a hairband, her mouth is wide open, the room is warm and beginning to lighten. Bird shadows pass quickly across her face but she does not wake.

A couple in their early thirties sleep in the attic flat of number twenty-one, wrapped loosely in a thin red blanket, he is snoring and she is turned away from him, there is a television on in the corner with the sound turned down, shadows pass through the room but the couple do not wake.

In the back bedroom of number seventeen, the boy with the white shirt and the tie says it was definitely a girl, she didn't have an adam's apple, I swear, it was a girl definitely, and everyone laughs at him and he looks around the room and joins in the laughter and somebody passes him a long cigarette.
The boy with the wide trousers is quiet, he's looking at the girl next to him, a beautifully unslim girl with dark curls of hair falling down over a red velvet dress, he's looking at the laces and straps and buckles and zips of her complicated footwear and says so how long does it take you to get those boots off then? She looks at him, this girl, with lips as red as the fire inside a chilli, she looks at the tight spread of him across the bed and she says
I don't know I've never taken them off myself
and she smiles at the sharpness of his intake of breath, she watches his eyes trickle down from her face and roll down the rich geometry of her body.

-'if nobody speaks of remarkable things' by Jon McGregor (page 15-16)

I mean WOW - I can't believe stuff like this can get published when we're all so uptight and stressed about doing it RIGHT. It's good - really good (haven't finished yet) but it makes you think...

Last edited:

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Re: "rules."

The thing about experimental writing is that you have to be really careful. A lot of people look at the experimentalists and say, "Eh, I could do that." In truth it's a very particular manner of writing whose process is a lot more diligent than the formless nature of the end product would suggest. Sure, these people are outside the "rules" we speak about so much on AW -- but they have created their own rules to work inside. It isn't chance music.

It is a great passage, though. Reminds me a little of one of my favorite writers, Stephen Dixon. Dixon breaks every rule in the book, too, but that allows him to write some beautiful, brutal, urgent prose.

lucky8

Registered
Reaction score
I read it about a year ago and didn't have any problem with the "rule" breaking. However, I did not find the story particularly compelling and was a bit let down after finishing it.

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Awww! I've finished it now and I loved it! I highly recommend it!

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
unreadable.

in my opinion.

the entire time I was trying to read the entire thing, I kept thinking that the author was just jerking around, showing off, trying to be clever, and all his histrionics were a huge distraction to what little bit of story leaked out around the edges of his pretentious literary ego.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was a beautiful read. It's ages since I read it and it stayed with me. I didn't find it pretentious at all, it never felt as if the author was trying too hard just that he had a unique voice. I think it was his first novel which makes it even more remarkable.