The Art of Racing in the Rain

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else read this yet? The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

On the eve of his death, family dog Enzo narrates his life and his master's--a story how a dog kept his family together, despite his inability to speak or (to his frustrations) use opposable thumbs.

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I read it earlier this summer. The dog on the cover looks exactly like my old dog who's no longer with me:(, so I was destined to shed some tears over his story. Interesting idea to have the dog narrate... his POV was exactly how I would imagine my dog to think. I applaud Garth Stein for his unique take on telling a story--combining what I assume are two great loves of his: dogs and racing. Good summer read.:Thumbs:

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
ohhhhh. absolutely. but then, I heart Garth. He's a great guy not to mention a phenomenal writer. Mud's right-it's a wonderful summer read, you'll love it.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
ohhhhh. absolutely. but then, I heart Garth. He's a great guy not to mention a phenomenal writer. Mud's right-it's a wonderful summer read, you'll love it.

This is the first book of Stein's I've read. Which others did you enjoy?

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I love How Evan Broke His Head-it's very different, though, from ARR. Sadly, I haven't gotten to read Raven Stole The Moon yet-I'm waiting on a copy.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain, especially the racing/practice parts where Enzo gets to participate, and when he explains about and acts on 'manifesting'. Haven't reread it for a while, though, as my personal copy is currently lent out to a friend--the fifth friend I've gotten to read it. Guess that's not so good for sales, except I think if someone reads it and likes it as much as I did, they will need to buy their own copy.

I work at a bookstore, so it is endcapped as one of my employee picks.

Dream

Last edited: