The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody read/reading this yet?

I am a huge Wally Lamb fan, and this book just came out last month. But I put it on my christmas list so I am waiting patiently until then to see if I got it before I start reading it.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading it, and so far, I am not impressed. And I am also a huge Lamb fan.

Reaction score
IKTMIT is my favourite damn book EVER and Lamb can do no wrong in my eyes.

Haven't picked up his new one yet but you can bet your bippy as soon as I see it in shops here, I'll pick up a copy.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Let's put it this way: I'm finding it difficult to get through mainly because I dislike the MC so much. However, Lamb's writing is beautiful as ever. I will finish the book because I want to believe it will get better, but I'm not holding my breath.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Let's put it this way: I'm finding it difficult to get through mainly because I dislike the MC so much. However, Lamb's writing is beautiful as ever. I will finish the book because I want to believe it will get better, but I'm not holding my breath.
Wally Lamb's MCs are always highly unlikeable. Even if you might feel sorry for them, you never like them. Who liked the MC of She's Come Undone? I felt sorry for her and wanted to strangle her but I'm not sure I ever actually liked her. What about I Know this Much is True? That MC was an absolute prick and no matter how much pity I felt for him, I never liked him.

An unlikeable MC is, like, Lamb's thing, man.

Reaction score
I've probably only mentioned this a bajillion times, but just in case Wally Lamb ever visits AW:

I salute you and if I ever write a book half as good as IKTMIT, I'll die a happy woman.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I have it, but I haven't started reading it yet. I'm in the middle of two other books right now plus trying to finish writing my own!

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've probably only mentioned this a bajillion times, but just in case Wally Lamb ever visits AW:

I salute you and if I ever write a book half as good as IKTMIT, I'll die a happy woman.

WORD.

It's in my list of top ten books of all time somewhere I'm sure (never thought about it enough to actually make a list, but I'm sure it'd be up there somewhere).

I LOVED this quote from the book:

I am not a smart man, particularly, but one day, at long last, I stumbled from the dark woods of my own, and my family's, and my country's past, holding in my hands these truths: that love grows from the rich loam of forgiveness; that mongrels make good dogs; that the evidence of God exists in the roundness of things. (897)

Reaction score
I bought this book today and I'm so stupidly excited about reading it I think I might pee myself.

I'll try to make it last because he's such a slow novelist but I'll whizz through it, I predict.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
My mom and I started our own book club over this book. We both hate the main character. I love the book, big huge, brash, flaws and all. There's something about Wally that's transcendental to me.

I also love that Wally took like ten years to write this book (after five, he offered to give back the advance). He was dealing with a lot of life issues, caring for aging parents, etc. He was also working on his project with the women at the prison. I salute him for waiting patiently for the best idea. I am a fan of, for example, Jodi Picoult, but I kinda feel like lately she is cranking out books on an assembly line . . . I can predict the twist to every one!
My Mom, by the way, dislikes "The Hour I First Believed" as much as I love it. She couldn't stand the historical back-story sections. She just decided to skip them (which might explain why she just didn't get much out of the book). She loved the character Maureen, though.

We both love IKTMIST and SCU.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually kind of surprised that I haven't read this one yet. I got it for Christmas, but haven't dived into it. I've even read some other stuff since then.

TheRightEyedDeer

the land of black flies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
therighteyeddeer.weebly.com
Finished reading this one last week. Unlike his previous two novels, each of which I could not put down until finishing them, "The Hour I First Believed" took me longer to read. It's a very dense novel which jumps all over the place.

I really enjoyed the beginning but once the historical backstory started intruding, I nearly lost interest. There's too many different pieces in this one for my liking. All of the pieces are interesting but, put together in a novel, it doesn't quite work IMO.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I might try to read some of his books. The reviews I've read either love or hate the books. So, I guess I won't know until I try.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I might try to read some of his books. The reviews I've read either love or hate the books. So, I guess I won't know until I try.

You being a girl, I'd recommend you give She's Come Undone a try first. Seems as if girls sort of like that one better and guys like I Know This Much is True better. At least that's the general trend.

Reaction score
Always one to buck a trend which has no basis in scientific tru fax, IKTMIT is my favourite book of all time ever, ever, ever and if I could only shake Lamb's hand and thank him for writing it...

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Always one to buck a trend which has no basis in scientific tru fax, IKTMIT is my favourite book of all time ever, ever, ever and if I could only shake Lamb's hand and thank him for writing it...

I agree, but again, I DID say it was a trend and not absolute fact.

Reaction score
If I have more than one book by the same author, I read them in publication order.