Transplanted Man by Sanjay Nigam

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just finished a wonderful book about stuff happening in a community. That doesn't sound too enthusiastic, I know, but it was well worth the read.

Here's a caption from Google Book Search:

Sonny Seth is a medical resident at a New York City hospital that services a community of eccentric expatriates from India. His most demanding patient -- known only as the Transplanted Man -- is an amusingly wise Indian politician whose major organs have been transplanted. Trying to solve his patient's ballooning afflictions, Sonny struggles with demons of his own in a story that deftly examines questions about love, expatriation, medicine, sleep, and East-West polarities.

This profound and hilarious novel features a bibliophilic nurse seeking stability from a life driven by impulse; an insomniac scientist on a monomaniacal quest for the cause of insomnia; a colorful Bollywood superstar with political ambitions; a psychotherapist mistaken for a New Age guru; a chef trying to invent the perfect fusion cuisine; an endearing homeless man who sits on a corner and becomes a tourist attraction.

I didn't quite see it as profound or hilarious...but I did enjoy the transformations that took place in the characters as they muddled through their day to day lives in this Indian-American community.

I loved it. Anybody else read Transplanted Man?

Last edited: