Glen Cook

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to introduce you voracious readers to an unsung hero of mine, Glen Cook.
For me, he redefined the sci-fi/fantasy genre by essentially eliminating the concepts of good and evil.

Series like "The Chronicles of the Black Company" portray people of radically different degrees of magical power, mundane abilities and the most amazing thing about all of them is that no matter what, they are all human, driven by their needs, urges, whims, desires and the disposition of their spirits.

Another series is much the same. "The Garrett Files are sci-fi fantasy based detective novels based on a line from a Nero Wolf book "Investigators from Tunfaire." The set up is much the same as Nero Wolf but with magical and mythological creatures taking over a lot of the roles.
Again, they're great novels, funny the whole way through and essentially human. There might be powerful wizards, corrupt generals, gangsters, armies of ogres and ratmen subverting society from under the streets but a guy who can think on his feet, take a few punches and believe in what he's doing can win out.

I enthusiastically suggest you look up Glen Cook, especially if you are into the sci-fi/fantasy genre. He may change your mind about a few things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Cook

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Glen Cook is top rate. I would think most readers of SF/F are familiar with him. But concerning those who don't ordinarily read in the genre, I think you might be surprised at how resistant they can be toward all things magical.

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
That's how Cook is different though. His characters are the guy on the street. Wizards scare the piss out of Croaker but to do his job he has to deal with them. The books aren't so much about the wizards as they are the people that would just as soon get rid of the wizards if they actually thought they stood a chance of catching one from behind.
It's funny that they brag so hard on the Black Company, how they're the best soldiers in the world, the toughest guys ever born but they get around someone like the Limper and they're all drizzling down their legs :ROFL:

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
I have a lot of Cook's stuff. I read the whole series of The Black Company at least once a year.
Instrumentalities of the Night is good too.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to love Glen Cook, but I just can't get into his writing. Tried the first book in The Black Company series and couldn't get through it. I read "The Dragon Never Sleeps", which was decent, but it read like Cook had condensed 1000 riveting pages into 200 superdense pages (this may be what he actually did). One of the Nightshade Books dudes convinced me it was exciting and similar to Peter F Hamilton. I've been thinking about trying one of the Garrett PI novels, but I'm skeptical.

Which one of his books do you think is the best? Win me over, JBF!

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
The Black Company is probably not the best way to start off with Cook because it has such a military POV.
The Garrett novels are probably better as an introduction because they're so funny and the characters so unusual.
The first in that series is called Sweet Silver Blues and it does involve a hunt for vampires.
The wiki I posted above has them all listed in chronological order.
I think you'll like those a lot better. After that you should try The Black Company again. I think you'll be used to the way he does things by then.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading The Black Company series, based on a recommendation by my doctor. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm not a big fan of war novels or first person POV for that matter, but Cook makes it work so much that I have a hard time putting the book down. I started with the Chronicles, and I'm glad I bought all three together, instead of just buying the first book to try it out.

I'm looking forward to trying the Garrett P.I. series, and again I have my doubts about a private investigator series in a fantasy world, but I have alot of faith in Cook after trying The Black Company.

Turns out my doctor knows what he's talking about. I recommend this to all fantasy readers, especially those that are completely dedicated to traditional fantasy. The only thing is some of his books are out of print, so it's not exactly easy to find all his books, if you get hooked.