The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson. Discuss the book and the film

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Way back when Amityville Horror came out as a film, a friend of mine's mother was reading the book. After she finished, they lent it to me. I was in fourth grade, and that was the first adult fiction I had read. Around this time also, they took me out to see the movie. And we saw it in a drive-in.

At that young age, I found the film to be pretty scary. Also, it took me a few weeks to get through the book. Heck, at that time I was only reading Beverly Cleary and that sort of thing. Amityville Horror was quite a leap for me.

After I grew up a few more years I re-read the book and got through it a lot faster, and still thought the movie was pretty good.

Years later, re-reading it again, I found I could get through the book in a few hours. It's a pretty fast read, actually, but IMHO, it's not really that well written. Nearly every chapter ends in an exclamation point! And as we all know at AW, the overuse of exclamation points is a great way to build suspense!

Anyway, the book was a mega-best seller because it said it was based on a true story. As we all learned later, the story was a fabrication by the Lutzes because they had bought more house than they could afford, and decided to capitilize on the murders committed in the house a few years earlier. Enter Jay Anson, who listened to their story and fabricated the rest, and a best seller and hit movie were born.

I remember being able to go to used bookstores and see entire shelves crammed with used copies of Amityville Horror. Does anyone remember that?

So, what did you think of the book and/or movie? Good literature? Great film? Even today I still kind of like the movie. It's really not bad. (The remake though, I didn't so much care for.)

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
The book sold on the "true story" aspect. I don't think it was true, after all, but it sold books. When I read it, I thought it was poorly written. (I thought and think that ROSEMARY'S BABY...as dated as it is...was a much better book.)

The movie wasn't much, either.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I read The Amityville horror when it first came out, I must have been 16/17 at the time, a long time ago now. I still have the original book too, as I never give my books away.
The book was good at the time; I don't know if I'd think the same of it now though? The funny thing was; the evening I was reading it, first of all the lights went out, the electric had gone. The electric fire in my bedroom decided to fry out and wouldn't go anymore, and the family budgie dropped dead in its cage! This was all in the space of around half an hour and was a little freaky at the time.

I liked the film, mostly because James Brolin looked so horny in it though. The last bit, down in the cellar of blood and flies, is yuck :D

In the whole of my present novel, I only have two exclamation marks.

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the film, mostly because James Brolin looked so horny in it though.

I don't understand that sentence...

Anyhow, I still have not seen the movie re-make, because even if it were at true story, Hollywood has a way of changing it into..... well Hollywood.

And yes, I was a fan of it wayyyyy back. And then I found out some untrusting things about one of the authors.

Any how, I think I still have both books somewhere here packed up in boxes, unless I did return them to the second-hand shops.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the film, mostly because James Brolin looked so horny in it though.

Well, he is a guy. And he is breathing. So, he is horny. A + B = C.

On the topic:

I still have my original paperback copy from when I was teenager back in *mumble-mumble*. I thought it was great at the time and very spooky. Now that I've aged ("aged, not matured" as my wife points out) the book, like so many other favorites of my teen years, seems simplistic and silly. The book hasn't changed, but my tastes and reading experiences have.