Atonement

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to hear what you thought of this book - I'm not so sure myself. There was so much praise for it that I was determined to finish it. But, looking back, I think I want those hours of my life returned.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I found the book too slow ,never got to the end. After reading your comments, I feel a lot better about it .Thanks

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I loved it. I have read three of McEwan's novels and loved all of them for different reasons. What I love about Atonement is his exploration of the interaction between fiction and reality. The ending is profoundly unsatisfying - but I think it's meant to be. It's McEwan's way of reminding us that what happens in books doesn't, and can't, atone in any way for things that happen in real life.

I also think his characterisation of Briony in particular is phenomenal. And his description of the horrors of war. It's rare that a book that has been recommended to me as often as this one was lives up to the hype but it really, really did.

AmandaAcidic

Good morning beautiful!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandalynb.blogspot.com
Don't feel bad. You're completely allowed to have your owe opinion. Even if it's not the popular one. Hell, I enjoyed the Twilight books quite a bit. That's far from the popular opinion around these parts. =]

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Amazing book on many levels:

- structure. The three parts are brilliantly constructed.
- metafiction. The ending takes you by surprise and strengthens the theme of fiction vs. reality.
- prose. McEwan is a great stylist. Reading his words is like attending a gourmet dinner. Yes, the book is slow, but exactly that's why it's scrumptious. You don't want to rush through it. It's not a hamburger.
- themes. It tells so much truth about the human conditions, it's heart-wrenching. It's also more of a book about writers than about lovers.
- maturity and complexity. This book has so many layers and subtexts... it's amazing.

This is certainly not a beach read. On the other hand, I don't find it stuffy and hard to read as most "literary" fiction. It certainly holds my interest and keeps me in that world. At times, I did feel like I was "reading" because McEwan's words were simply gorgeous and rich. So I didn't really mind.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I have it, and haven't gotten past the first few pages. Like you, I keep wanting to read it because of all the reviews. Maybe one day I'll get around to it.

TheRightEyedDeer

the land of black flies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
therighteyeddeer.weebly.com
I'm with maestro (well said, sir!). McEwan's books are rich treats for me. Enjoy the lingering read, allow yourself to become immersed in the worlds he creates so fully with his words.

The ending of 'Atonement' is an ending that has stuck with me for ages. At first, it disappointed me in a BIG way. But, then, it made me think and think some more. Ultimately, I decided it was the only possible way the story could have ended.

The movie's not bad, either.