Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Smoothseas and I were talking about this wonderful debut.
Haven't enough other folks here read it by now for us to gab about it? I'd thought I was late to the party and there must surely be a thread but I couldn't find it just searching by "Hotel" so...

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
I'm about halfway through it. I'm really enjoying it; I only wish I had more time to read it! I'd probably be done by now if life hadn't gotten in the way :tongue

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I notice that this book is in at my local library.

But since the dude who wrote it is a member here I might just shell out the money for this one. Looks like it's an awesome premise.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I finally found a copy a couple weeks ago. I read the first chapter yesterday, between school stuff. I can't wait to dive into the rest.

And every time I walk into B&N, I put all the copies in the eye level shelf. :) You know, for Jamie.

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
The local libraries distribute a "newspaper" of book news/reviews each month and this book was featured with a very positive review. Everytime I see a book by an AWer it makes me smile.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
That's MISTER Ford to you and me...

And it couldn't be happening to a classier mo-fo...

'Sweet' spot: Jamie Ford's debut novel, Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, the latest book club pick at the discount chain Target, moves up to No. 63 on the extended list. It features a Chinese-American widower who once loved a Japanese-American girl. It was inspired by Ford's father, who wore an "I Am Chinese" button in Seattle during World War II so he wouldn't be mistaken for being Japanese. Ford calls the Target pick and resulting promotion "insanely great news." He advised readers on his website: "If you happen to notice a certain book cover in an ad in Oprah magazine, or Parenting, or in your Sunday paper – you're not seeing things." There are 175,000 paperback copies in print.

source:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2009-11-05-buzz05_ST_N.htm

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Wonderful news, Jamie. I mean, Mr. Ford. Your book is flying and I so admire your achievement -- and your ability to keep your schedule. Holy hell, man, you're all over the place!