Drood by Dan Simmons

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Has anyone read this one yet? It's a looong one. It's narrated by Wilkie Collins as he relates the strange tale of the last years of the life of Charles Dickens. I'm reading it in fits and starts. I curse my obsession with Dickens' The Mystery of Edwin Drood for persuading me to buy it. ;) On the other hand, so far, so good. But at nearly 800 pages, it's not the sort of thing I can carry around much. (And the e-book edition isn't available in my preferred format.)

On this list and that list, some people have argued that it's way too long. Most liked Simmons' The Terror better -- and I have that one in paperback. BTW fans of The Terror will be interested to know that Dickens and Collins put on a play based on the incident that was the basis for The Terror. (Well, Collins wrote it, and Dickens made him change most of it and rewrote all of the dialogue of the character he would play on the stage, which says a lot about their relationship. ;))

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 530 pages in (out of 773) and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. There is a LOT of detail on Collins's and Dickens's lives and works - I'm finding it fascinating but that may be me. I can see how anyone less sympathetic to the subject matter might want Simmons to get on with it...

Simmons has clearly done a lot of research, and (as with The Terror) it does show. I did like The Terror quite a bit - though it was too long and went in a strange direction in its last 100 pages - but (speaking as a Brit) Simmons didn't show much ear for his British characters' dialogue. Drood is better in this respect, though there are some slip-ups - Americanisms like "gotten" for "got" and "write me" instead of "write to me", and a mention of "the tabloids" (as in newspapers) some fifty years before they existed.

I've always admired Simmons for not writing the-same-but-different throughout his career, although that may have cost him sales. I'm not sure who else is writing historical faction/horror novels, but with this and The Terror Simmons seems to be carving himself an interesting niche.

I'll say more when I've finished the novel, hopefully a week or so from now.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I'm 530 pages in (out of 773) and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. There is a LOT of detail on Collins's and Dickens's lives and works - I'm finding it fascinating but that may be me. I can see how anyone less sympathetic to the subject matter might want Simmons to get on with it...
Wow! I'm impressed.
:e2thud:
How are you able to carry it? :D

Simmons has clearly done a lot of research, and (as with The Terror) it does show. I did like The Terror quite a bit - though it was too long and went in a strange direction in its last 100 pages - but (speaking as a Brit) Simmons didn't show much ear for his British characters' dialogue. Drood is better in this respect, though there are some slip-ups - Americanisms like "gotten" for "got" and "write me" instead of "write to me", and a mention of "the tabloids" (as in newspapers) some fifty years before they existed.
According to what I read in the All Hallows YahooGroup (a really neat one if you like supernatural fiction), he researched the whole thing in just a year or so. If that's true (I have have misread it :D), that's incredible.

I've always admired Simmons for not writing the-same-but-different throughout his career, although that may have cost him sales. I'm not sure who else is writing historical faction/horror novels, but with this and The Terror Simmons seems to be carving himself an interesting niche.

I'll say more when I've finished the novel, hopefully a week or so from now.
It's a shame some stores shelve him in horror because while the novels are horror, there are a lot of people who would enjoy him yet who never end up in the horror section. And lots of horror fans who tend to avoid really really long historical-type books. (I know because I can't imagine picking that book up when I was a horror fan in high school. :))

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
My copy is a bound proof copy (review copy) and it just about fit into my case to take to work. Actually I don't think there's a UK hardback - Quercus have brought it out as a large-format paperback with a RRP of £14.99.

Anyway, I finished it yesterday, four days ahead of schedule. (As most of my reading is done in lunchbreaks at work, I estimate I'd get through about 10,000 words a day. As Drood is - my estimate - around 287,000 words, that's 29 days - I took 25, though that included two or three days when I didn't read any of it.) What I say above is pretty much what I felt about once I've finished it, except to say I didn't find some of the plot revelations all that convincing. It comes over as more of an Amadeus-like portrait of artistic love/hate relationship and rivalry - with Collins as Salieri and Dickens as Mozart - than a straight horror novel. (That said, history has been kinder to Collins that it has
been to Salieri in at least two of his novels are still read nowadays.)

On the whole, I enjoyed it - as I have most Simmons I've read.

For the record, the novels of his I've read are Song of Kali, Hyperion/The Fall of Hyperion, Carrion Comfort, Endymion/The Rise of Endymion, The Terror and Drood. Simmons is also a first-rate short-fiction writer and I'd recommend two novellas of his - "Death in Bangkok" (aka "Dying in Bangkok") and "On K2 with Kanakarides".

I haven't read Phases of Gravity (mainstream novel about an astronaut), nor the shorter horror novels he wrote in the 90s, nor his crime novels. The remaining big Simmons epic I've yet to read is the Ilium/Olympos diptych - according to Amazon.com's text stats, 220k and 280k words each. At a guess those are about the lengths of the Endymions, and I got through those in a couple of months, so sometime I will...