The Pearl

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I read this story in school years ago and now I've borrowed it from the library. I really enjoyed it years ago and I know I'll enjoy it again. This book really tells the message "Money can't buy happiness."

Has anyone else ever read this book? What did you think?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... read it several years back. Really terrific fable/novella. Gotta reread it sometime soon.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Argh most depressing book in existence, probably put on the school reading lists to try to cut costs by having the students commit suicide.

TrishaHaddad

A Bookish Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishahaddad.com
John Steinbeck is my favorite author, but this was one of the few of his books I hadn't read. So I brought it with me to Japan and read it during one train ride. Another great Steinbeck book, and yes, very depressing.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
Kino's character was quite interesting. He was probably the only person who actually evolved through the story. He grew from someone wanting to break out of a shell, yet his greed to give his family a better life brings ruin upon them.

LAWolf

Registered
Reaction score
Argh most depressing book in existence, probably put on the school reading lists to try to cut costs by having the students commit suicide.

I think it's pretty awful. I can't stand it (or much Steinbeck), so I promised myself never to teach it to any of my students. They'll get depressed enough from other authors and their own progress reports. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.