Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I finished reading it just earlier. According to wikipedia, the book details the good and evil in man. However, I found it difficult to form pictures of what was going on in my head as I read. I found the characters to be completely static, none of them ever changed during the story.

Has anyone else here read the book? What did you think of it?

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
Robert Louis Stevenson wrote in the style of his era. Keep that in mind; it doesn't sound so fluid to today's reader.

That aside, I like the novel for its economy. But I don't know how you can say the characters don't change...the forthright Jekyll, for instance, changed into the fiendish Mr. Hyde.

But I know what you're getting at.

Porphry

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about that. My perceptions of it was that Dr. Jekyll, while elements of Hyde were attractive to him (getting shed of the gentle and meek aspects of his own personality in lieu of a more aggressive/self-centered version), Mr. Hyde was something he wanted to be shed of at the end. Also, I am not sure as that was Stevenson's point. Hyde surely evolved, as did Jekyll-- but towards two very different polarities.

Upside #2, I doubt that Stan Lee would have written The Incredible Hulk without Jekyll and Hyde. (Just playing, but I did like the comics as a kid)

Po

scottishpunk

Registered
Reaction score
I happen to be a big fan of Jekyll and Hyde. There may not be a lot of evolution to the characters, but the whole story paints an extremely interesting picture of the dangers of playing games and making compromises with evil. I think it communicates it's points stunningly. There's a reason it's lasted so long and become a classic.

Reaction score
Also, did you know, 'Jekyll' isn't pronounced 'Jekkle'? It's more correctly said 'Jeekle'.

Tru fax. I should know; I'm a Scot. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.