Lord Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I first heard of this book in school while taking an English course with a private tutor years ago. So I went to the library and checked it out. Later on the internet, I found several websites that had the entire book text on it, all forty-five chapters in all!

I've noticed that the story's narrative is told as if the story itself is being told by someone for a group of listeners. Every paragraph has a quotation mark at the beginning and at the end. At times, the point of view shifts from one character to another even when they are in different places.

For those who don't know what it's about or never heard of it, it's the story of a young man named Jim who in an impulsive act of cowardice, abandons ship with the rest of the crew, missing his chance to be a hero. Years later, he attempts to find redemption in an island paradise where he finds respect, love, and friendship. But his past continues to catch up with him and when he makes another error in misjudgement, resulting in the death of his best friend, he allows the grieving father to shoot and kill him.

I haven't read the whole book, just a few parts. But it looks interesting. Has anyone else here read it? How did you like it and what did you think?

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I finally went around to reading this book written by Joseph Conrad, even though there are sites that have the complete text online. I got it from the library here in Humboldt where I volunteer.

Lord Jim is the story of a man named Jim, once a crew member of the Patna who is disgraced after abandoning the ship along with the rest of the crew. Haunted by this moment of weakness and a lost chance to be a hero, he wonders from place to place, leaving at any mention of the Patna incident. Eventually, his travels take him to a tropical Malay resort called Patusan where he becomes a hero and demi-god to the people, finds love, and regains some of his dignity. But his past comes back to haunt him yet again when the land is invaded by a pirate named Brown. A foolish misjudgement allows Brown and his men to escape, but not before they kill several natives, including the son of the chief. The story ends with Jim meeting his end at the hands of Dain Warris' father, chief Doramin.

Joseph Conrad chose a unique way of telling the story. It's as if a character in the story is narrating the tale itself to a group of listeners as most of the paragraphs begin with quotation marks. This way, it makes it hard to lose yourself in the action and form pictures of what's happening, with the exception of a few scenes, such as Jim's tragic end.

From what I saw on one page of the internet, Lord Jim is one of the top 100 best books in literature.

Has anyone else read this masterpiece? What did you think?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
It is highly recommended for the personal narrative style of the 1st person POV. He is both the MC and the narrator.

I also saw the movie with Peter O'Tool, and it was fairly accurate to the book.

Last edited:

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
wasn't there another film adoptation?

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
wasn't there another film adoptation?

There were two silent versions, in 1925 and in 1919 under the title A Misfit Earl. I haven't seen either, and know of none more recent than the O'Toole version.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
One of the finest novels in the English language, by any standard. And the Peter O'Toole movie is one of the best and truest film adaptations of a great novel ever made. I keep hoping someone, someday, does an equally fine adaptation of Conrad's similar and equally fine classic, Victory. But, as it doesn't involve elves, vampires, dragons, zombies or space warfare, I'm not optimistic.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.