To Kill A Mockingbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I finished reading this Pulitzer Winning Classic. I first read this book in school, we watched the black and white version movie in class, and now I've read it again. It was a very good read.

On a personal note, I was outraged when the jury convicted Tom Robinson even despite proof of Tom's innocence. The conviction was clearly motivated by racism. It reminded me of the Rodney King beating in Los Angeles where even despite evidence of their guilt, the jury aquitted the officers. I think it was because they were racist themselves.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A side note, the screenwriter for To Kill A Mockingbird, Horton Foote, recently passed away. From everything I've ever heard of him, he was a great gentleman. As well as adapting Mockingbird for the screen, he wrote original screenplays such as Tender Mercies.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was meant to be a self-help book. I read it and enjoyed it, but still have no idea how to kill a mockingbird.:Shrug:

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
I finished reading To kill a mockingbird yesterday, though I saw the film decades ago. I think it rightly deserves its place as a modern American classic and its Pullitzer. Some of the bigots in Maycomb must be turning in their fictional graves to see who's now living in the White House!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was meant to be a self-help book. I read it and enjoyed it, but still have no idea how to kill a mockingbird.:Shrug:

The guy who draws the "Get Fuzzy" cartoon series already beat you to this one. A while back he had his nasty scheming one-fanged cat Bucky disparaging To Kill a Mockingbird because he had picked it up thinking it an instruction manual.

caw

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Killing a mockingbird takes the same marksmanship as shooting a rabid dog a block away.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's a gorgeous piece of work. I've only just read it recently, it being one of those classic I always meant to get around to.

Harper Lee had such an amazingly agile hindsight, to remember how it was to be a child and interact with other children. It didn't matter that I was generations separated from Jem, Scout, and Dill, they were very familiar.

It's easily one of the best books I've ever read.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
For me, it is a perfect book. The charm of youth and wisdom combined for a perfect story.

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
And it's the only one she ever wrote...

Frodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annvevera.blogspot.com
I read it two months ago for the first time. My favorite part is the descriptions of the different categories of people and how they don't mix. What has changed?

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I finished reading this Pulitzer Winning Classic. I first read this book in school, we watched the black and white version movie in class, and now I've read it again. It was a very good read.
Agreed.

It reminded me of the Rodney King beating in Los Angeles where even despite evidence of their guilt, the jury aquitted the officers. I think it was because they were racist themselves.

The tape showed Rodney getting beat, it did not show the prior chase in which ol'boy tried to allude police, or the several punches thrown by Rodney, or measured the amount of drugs in ol' rod's body at the time of the incident, maybe not as racist as you think?

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
It is my favorite book hands down. I got to teach it for four years, and I loved every minute of it. Even though I've read it tons of times, I could come back to a line or particular phrase and be awestruck how Lee can use something so simple to convey a greater message.

It's a masterpiece!!!

Adelaide

Registered
Reaction score
Not only is Harper Lee a badass and was Truman Capote's best friend, Gregory Peck (Atticus in the movie, for those who haven't seen it) was a HOTTIE.

To Kill A Mockingbird is awesome every way you turn. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.