The Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly

tailstrike

Thinking, always thinking!
Registered
Reaction score
I must start out by saying that i have not read any of Reilly's other books and having just finished reading this i thought i would quicly post what i actually thought of this book... All in all lets say an entertaining story...

My problem with this particular book is 1) the pictures, this is just annoying because it feels like he cant describe something well enough so he draws pictures instead, 2) the repeditiveness, i now cant stand the phrase 'thinly veiled' and 3) the pauses in the action, for crying out loud its ok to finish an action sentance on the same line, we still get the same idea...

Any one else read this book? Would just like to see what others think...

Cheers

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*chuckle* Matthew Reilly has stated outright that he basically wants to write action movies in book form. That'll be why there's all those pauses and pictures, which, i agree, are annoying. It's getting worse too, with each book. I just finished Six Sacred Stones, the sequel to Seven Ancient Wonders, and there's even more pictures in that.

The stories are also getting even more outlandish (not that any of his books are based anywhere near reality) with each book. I used to be able to suspend belief--mostly--but I had real trouble with both SAW and SSS.

I also agree about the repetitiveness. I think perhaps his editor isn't really all that good. Reilly's style is such that he should really make an attempt to avoid repeating things. But his unusual plot-style, with its non-stop action and over-the-top stunts and twists, has been what has seen him top bestseller lists in Australia and apparently elsewhere.

I would recommend reading his earlier books like Contest and Ice Station if you want to read him before he got too carried away. They're not too bad. Quite enjoyable, actually.

Last edited: