The Wind In the Willows

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
Last night I finished this classic. There were some parts that I enjoyed and some that I didn't. However, I did have some problems with it. I have no idea who the protagonist is. And toad's transformation at the end of the book isn't believable, rather his friends forced him to change.

Has anyone else read this book?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love me some wind in the willows! It transports the reader to a gentle and lovely place. It's a total comfort read. I like all the little boats, and the piper at the gates of dawn!

Toad is the MC, IMO. This book was written way back when authors didn't stick so closely to standards of narrative, like sticking with the MC for the entire book. I thought Toad earned his redemption in the end. But I mean, keep in mind that "Friends Are Good To Have" is one of the big themes of the book, so of course they're very involved in it.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
The Wind in the Willows is a collection of short storeys that Kenneth Graham made up for his son.All the characters represent vices and virtues,there is hospitality,forgiveness,compassion and generosity.Toad represents the vices of conceit and arrogance but in the end is reformed by his virtuous friends.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I don't think it matters who the protaganist is (it's something I'd never even thought of before today). All the main characters are so well drawn and individual.

In my opinion, it also contains one of the saddest scenes in children's literature:
Ratty and Mole have accompanied Toad in his canary coloured caravan, and at one point Toad and Ratty argue. Toad says; "You're always talking about your old River."
Ratty says "I am not," and then, very quietly, he adds "but I think about it. I think about it all the time."

Wind in the Willows is also one of the influences on me as a child which led me to want to become an archaeologist. Which sounds odd until you remember Badger's home, which had tiled floors that were probably once part of a Roman villa. The thought of a house, which decayed, and then a wood grew up over it, and then the badgers dug their setts there, really caught my imagination. And I did become an archaeologist.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Why is it sad?
Well, Ratty and Mole have gone with Toad in the canary coloured caravan because they think he'll probably do something stupid if he's allowed to go on his own. They feel responsible for him. Badger would just let Toad do the stupid thing and get into trouble for it, and Otter is too unreliable, so Ratty feels that it's down to him to do it.
But he doesn't want to go. He doesn't want to leave the River, and he desperately wants to go back once they're away from it.
So when Toad says "You're always talking about your old River," in that dismissive way, it really hurts Ratty, because he's tried not to make it obvious that he doesn't want to be there, and does want to be back at home by the River.
Mole then suggests that they leave Toad to it, and go home, but Ratty won't do it - he still feels responsible for Toad.

This is a book for small children, remember, but look how subtly the characters are drawn, and how three-dimensional they are.

I have friends who put that scene on a par with the moment that Christopher Robin tells Winnie the Pooh that he has to go away to school - at least one of my friends still gets tears in his eyes when he reads that bit, and he's over fifty!

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I have always lived near a river and can remember reading Toad of Toad Hall and totally understanding Ratty wanting to go back to his river.

Quite a while back the Royal National Theatre did a production of T of T H - my whole family went and two of my mothers friends as well. It was an incredible performance and the audience was amazing! All the generations were there - such a feeling of warmth in the theatre. I think it shows that T of T H is for all time and all generations. It has so many messages if you want to delve into the text and you can apply them in any way.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
I love The Wind in the Willows. From the hand printed name and phone # on the inside front cover, I think it was the first book I ever claimed as "mine." I always thought it was a book about home(s) and friendship.

II always tear up when Ratty and Mole find Portly, the lost baby otter, sleeping between the hooves of the demi-god Pan. (Chapter 7 - the Piper at the Gates of Dawn.)

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I don't find that scene sad at all. Then again, I have never shed a tear when reading.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I love The Wind in the Willows.
II always tear up when Ratty and Mole find Portly, the lost baby otter, sleeping between the hooves of the demi-god Pan. (Chapter 7 - the Piper at the Gates of Dawn.)
And remember how Pan removes the memories they have of his appearance, because if he had not, the would spend the rest of their lives unsatisfied with normal existence, always yearning for the divine?

Subtle and beautiful. One of my favorite books of all time. And containing some great truths. From Rat:

There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Written a hundred years ago, and still magic.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
And remember how Pan removes the memories they have of his appearance, because if he had not, the would spend the rest of their lives unsatisfied with normal existence, always yearning for the divine?

"Lest the awe should dwell,
And turn your frolic to fret,
You shall look on my power at the healing hour,
But then you shall forget!"

Have you watched the Wind in the Willows series? The episodes are available on YouTube and some of them are hilarious. Like the one where Toad gives a piano concerto, except it's not really him playing. Or the one where Toad believes he's dying of some disease. Mole and Rat visit him and find him in a wheelchair, moaning about his imminent demise.

Mole: Have you had any breakfast this morning?
Toad: Breakfast! Ha ha! Noooo.
Mole: Well then, no wonder you're feeling low. Let me get something for you.
Toad: No, no. No, Moly. Nothing.
Mole: Not even a cup of tea?
Toad: Oh... well... a cup of tea. And a round of toast.
(Mole turns to leave)
Toad: Or two. Perhaps... a rasher of bacon.
(Mole waits, listening)
Toad: Some sausages, mushrooms, tomato, an egg... But nothing, nothing more! Nothing!
Mole: No. Well, um, I'll go and get it then.
Toad (whimpering quietly): Dear, dear Mole.

Scene cuts to Toad at the head of the table with a lot of dishes before him.

Toad: No... no more. Food has such little point. (gestures at the dishes) Please... take the rest away.
Mole: There isn't any rest, Toad. It's all gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.