The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia, by Laura Miller

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read literary criticism outside college before, but I started Laura Miller's The Magician's Book after someone I worked with highly recommended it. We were having a conversation about what it's like to have grown up on Narnia books, and then become disillusioned with them as adults who see the symbolism more clearly. My coworker told me Laura Miller had a similar experience: love, hate, love.

I haven't finished the book yet, but I appreciate the author's fondness for the series, as well as her honesty about its faults. She's not overly sentimental about C.S. Lewis and doesn't treat him like a saint, but at the same time, her tone isn't terribly bitter. She loved these books as a child and she wants to love them again.

I never thought I'd be able to read literary criticism and be into it like this. But this is kind of fun. Has anyone else read this book?

sommemi

Uses loquacious in sentences
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read this, but am a fan of the Chronicles... I might look into it. Thanks! I do have a study guide that goes into great depths to study the Chronicles but have also been a little afraid to use it because I still want to view them like I did when I was a kid, ya know? So I can totally relate. :)

JS Emuakpor

I lurk. Therefore, I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
afrocentricbooks.com
While reading The Magician's Book, bear in mind that CS Lewis was truly a man of his generation. His ideas, in my opinion, were dated. But I do not fault him for having those ideas, nor have I been disillusioned by his--arguably--antiquated perceptions.