Comments on Perfume by Patrick Süskind?

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
There were a few things about it that I enjoyed (some nice writing, an intriguing concept), but overall I hated it. I would've put the book down if it hadn't been assigned.

Last edited:

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
I really enjoyed it. The novel is original and its opening pages describing the stench of 18th century Paris are superb. From there it develops into a great story with plenty of dark humour and cynicism.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it. He outdid himself with the descriptions. You could almost smell things.

The MC was a major freak and creeped me out. Which I enjoyed immensely.

RevisionIsTheKey

Sigh...
Registered
Reaction score
Wherever there is dulce de leche ice cream
I am about halfway through the book and I am also loving it. I would guess that the lengthy paragraphs of odor descriptions are not every reader's cup of tea, but I am just fascinated with the details the author provides. I am just at the point where Jean-Baptiste sees himself in a mirror for the first time and his reflection "nodding back...flared its nostrils surreptitiously." Love it!

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
I am about halfway through the book and I am also loving it. I would guess that the lengthy paragraphs of odor descriptions are not every reader's cup of tea, but I am just fascinated with the details the author provides. I am just at the point where Jean-Baptiste sees himself in a mirror for the first time and his reflection "nodding back...flared its nostrils surreptitiously." Love it!

Yup. Honestly, I'm also not that interested in the eighteenth century perfume world, which would be okay if Suskind hadn't spent so much time on it.

But what really killed Perfume for me was the main character. He is the least sympathetic character I have ever read about. Which made the book dull, for me. Maybe sympathetic isn't even the right word. I don't necessarily need someone to root for. But I do need a protagonist with a semblance of humanity and I did not find that in Grenouille (sp?) The author compares him to a spider and a parasite numerous times throughout. I would venture to say that he comes off more as a spider than a human being.

In retrospect, I'd say it's probably worth reading just on the originality of its premise and the nice writing, but...I got fairly little enjoyment out of it.

RevisionIsTheKey

Sigh...
Registered
Reaction score
And I have to admit that I majored in French in college and lived in France off and on for several years, so that was a big draw for me with the book. But I'd be intrigued by the author's descriptions no matter where the story was set. I love books that are filled with excellent similes and other imagery.

I was curious about Perfume for the very reason you mention - Grenouille is one nasty MC. And I do not expect to find he has been redeemed at the end. I'm hoping I feel some sort of empathy for him on the last page. Since you read this because it was assigned, did any discussion take place in the class about the problem of such a repulsive MC?

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
I was curious about Perfume for the very reason you mention - Grenouille is one nasty MC. And I do not expect to find he has been redeemed at the end.

The last act of the book certainly sticks with you, I'll say that. I think you'll like it. Hell, I liked it.

Since you read this because it was assigned, did any discussion take place in the class about the problem of such a repulsive MC?

It was raised, but not in the spirit/sense that I think you're raising it (from a writer's perspective.) Grenouille does fly in the face of prevailing wisdom that I've heard from agents, writers, publishers, etc. I dunno. Perhaps literary is more tolerant of unlikable characters?

Last edited:

RevisionIsTheKey

Sigh...
Registered
Reaction score

Since you read this because it was assigned, did any discussion take place in the class about the problem of such a repulsive MC?

It was raised, but not in the spirit/sense that I think you're raising it (from a writer's perspective.) Grenouille does fly in the face of prevailing wisdom that I've heard from agents, writers, publishers, etc. I dunno. Perhaps literary is more tolerant of unlikable characters?

No, not the spirit sense. I meant the sense that it totally goes against the idea that the MC has to have some redeeming quality, that villains should not be 100% bad and heros should have some faults so they are not 100% good. I'm curious because I am writing a novel where the MC is really mostly villainous. I'm having trouble giving him some good attributes that don't just look like I stuck them in to follow the "rule."

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Aha. I see now. No, a conversation didn't really materialize along those lines. As for your MC. One way to develop character is through voice. In Perfume, we don't hear much of Gren's actual voice, thoughts, etc. If you write a voice-driven book, that would be one way to add depth. To show that your character is more than just the sum of some villainous actions. Get into his head and all that.

Another thing to think about is this. What does your MC care about? Depicting that is in a way, depicting his greatest strength and simultaneously his greatest weakness. It is a humanizing technique.

Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I meant the sense that it totally goes against the idea that the MC has to have some redeeming quality, that villains should not be 100% bad and heros should have some faults so they are not 100% good. I'm curious because I am writing a novel where the MC is really mostly villainous. I'm having trouble giving him some good attributes that don't just look like I stuck them in to follow the "rule."

I loved Perfume for the incredible writing. I didn't like the main character, but I was drawn to him because of his intense focus and dedication to whatever he did. That to me was a redeeming quality - I am attracted to people who work hard and with great concentration, so the scenes where the MC was described working in meticulous detail were the ones I liked most, and got me past his villainous nature. Perhaps with your own character, you can think about the things you are drawn to, and give them to your MC as his 'good' attributes?

RevisionIsTheKey

Sigh...
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to think about is this. What does your MC care about? Depicting that is in a way, depicting his greatest strength and simultaneously his greatest weakness. It is a humanizing technique.

Thanks. This is a good idea. (I am already in his head with third person limited, but what's in there is all disturbing at this point! I am still in the first third of the story, though, so I have time to do what you suggested.)

RevisionIsTheKey

Sigh...
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Perfume for the incredible writing. I didn't like the main character, but I was drawn to him because of his intense focus and dedication to whatever he did. That to me was a redeeming quality - I am attracted to people who work hard and with great concentration, so the scenes where the MC was described working in meticulous detail were the ones I liked most, and got me past his villainous nature. Perhaps with your own character, you can think about the things you are drawn to, and give them to your MC as his 'good' attributes?

Also a good suggestion. Thanks, ElaraSophia!