Suzanne Collins 'Hunger Games' series.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Much to my surprise I couldn't find a discussion on 'The Hunger Games' in this forum.

I just finished reading the second part, 'Catching Fire,' last week. It was, again, a book I read in one sitting, unable to put it down, staying up way too late at night to finish it.

And now I'm absolutely gagging for the next installment. I hate that feeling of having to wait and wait and wait to find out what happens next.

Anyway, did anyone else love or hate these books?

ETA: There will probably be spoilers in this thread. Please read no further if you are planning on reading these books.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read any but hear they're good for teens. My son's 12 and has enjoyed the Anthony Horowitz books (even the horror ones) and Twilight. Do you think these books would be appropriate for him?

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
I really enjoyed Hunger Games, but Catching Fire didn't seem to have the same pacing for me. I still liked it, but I don't think it was as good as the first one. The plot seemed to be just so conveniently all tied up at the end - trying not to give spoilers here. The middle schoolers I teach absolutely love it!

If you liked HG, I suggest you read The Maze Runner. It's fantastic.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read any but hear they're good for teens. My son's 12 and has enjoyed the Anthony Horowitz books (even the horror ones) and Twilight. Do you think these books would be appropriate for him?

There's some violence (kids fighting to the death), but less graphic than in most video games. He might be more squicked out by the romantic undercurrents.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed Hunger Games, but Catching Fire didn't seem to have the same pacing for me. I still liked it, but I don't think it was as good as the first one. The plot seemed to be just so conveniently all tied up at the end - trying not to give spoilers here. The middle schoolers I teach absolutely love it!

If you liked HG, I suggest you read The Maze Runner. It's fantastic.

I agree the second book is not quite as strong as the first.

I'll add something about spoilers to my original post. It's so hard to discuss without giving something away.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite series. So gripping from the first page. I agree, Catching Fire did not have the same impact that Hunger Games did, but I still enjoyed it greatly.

The third book, Mockingjay, is due out in August and has a blue cover.

Flint

Just believe. Then work your butt off.
Registered
Reaction score
The Hunger Games was awesome because of the reality tv angle, which Collins played out to it's fullest effect. However if you want to read a book on the realities of kids killing each other in an arena read Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked Hunger Games. I gave it to my mom to read and she read it in three days and asked me, "Is there a sequel out?" lol.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't like it. After the first chapter, I could predict everything that was going to happen. There's really only one possible ending. The writing style was fairly edge-of-your-seat like though, so it was weird to be thinking "I have to read one more page! But damn it I know how this is all going to turn out!" The MC was plucky but I wasn't that crazy about her. I have a hard time connecting with a lot of bad assed female protagonists for some reason (even though I totally am one!).

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed both of the first two books. And from a craft perspective, I thought Collins' pacing was incredible - she communicated so much without many spare words.

~suki

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I am a fan of the Hunger Games too :D

I read it in one day, and the second one in the following day :)

Then my husband read them - and he is a hard-core non-fiction only kinda guy. He loved them too.

I cant wait for the third, I'll be interested to see where she takes the story, and, of course, who Katniss gets with ;) The obvious choice would be Gale (in all his hotness), but, damn, Peeta's such a nice guy, y'know?

My husband thought the 2nd was much better, and I've read various reviews that say that the second had superior writing - that SC had obviously improved/settled into her writing style and voice.

I guess the first one could be a fave b/c that's where you get sucked into the world.

I agree the pacings pretty good, although she structured both books fairly similarly, build-up for the first half, games for the second.

Flint

Just believe. Then work your butt off.
Registered
Reaction score
The whole love triangle thing is horribly written. That's one of the things that really didn't work in the sequel.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
I really liked Hunger Games. I gave it to my mom to read and she read it in three days and asked me, "Is there a sequel out?" lol.

I've been sending this book as birthday presents for friends I know like to read. I'm a very popular gift-giver right now. *grin*

I thoroughly enjoyed both of the first two books. And from a craft perspective, I thought Collins' pacing was incredible - she communicated so much without many spare words.

~suki

Yes, I'm going to re-read with an eye to studying exactly how she pulls off the pacing. And the prose - crystal!

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't like it. After the first chapter, I could predict everything that was going to happen. There's really only one possible ending. The writing style was fairly edge-of-your-seat like though, so it was weird to be thinking "I have to read one more page! But damn it I know how this is all going to turn out!" The MC was plucky but I wasn't that crazy about her. I have a hard time connecting with a lot of bad assed female protagonists for some reason (even though I totally am one!).

Now, as much as I loved these these books, you make an excellent point. This was not a particularly original premise.

Then my husband read them - and he is a hard-core non-fiction only kinda guy. He loved them too.

My darn husband was hovering over me, waiting for me to finish 'Catching Fire.' It was funny to see my big ole tough guy desperate to read first person YA with a teenage female POV. He loved both the books. A VERY wide appeal here, with these books.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
The whole love triangle thing is horribly written. That's one of the things that really didn't work in the sequel.

Yeah, possibly.

But I am sucker for getting sucked into something and being able to overlook stuff for the sake of being caught up in the story and the MC :D

I do think though, that for the teen audience it's written for, the love triangle worked for SC. Just look at how teens all over the world are going crazy with the whole Team Jacob/Team Edward stuff.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score

I actually think this is done very well. In most books where a love triangle is present, it's obvious to the reader from page one who the MC is going to actually end up with (it's usually on the inside flap, for heaven's sake). But I find with this book I still cannot guess if Katniss with end up with Peeta or Gale. Or either of them.

That being said, I think that the book was quite fine enough without adding in Gale to the romance equation. But I'm saying that as a staunch Peeta supporter....

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Read them, loved them, waiting rather impatiently for the next book. The love triangle feels rather awkward to me but hopefully Katniss will stop being so naive about it in the next book.

That said, I really like Cinna. I hope he's ok. :(

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a prefence as to who Katniss ends up with, but I really enjoyed the whole love triangle sub-plot. I thought Collins handled it beautifully.

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
I loved HG. But, I almost put down CF at first. It was just taking too long to go anywhere. Then we find out she has to go back to the arena AGAIN, and I was really ready to put it down. However, I'm glad I stuck with it. Collins definitely made the arena new and exciting the second time.

As for the love triangle, it works, but it lacks heat. I don't feel like Katniss really loves either of them. She seems more frustrated with having to deal with their obvious love for her than she does conflicted.

Also, I'm just going to come out and say that Peeta's pure, undying devotion makes me groan a little. Could he please have a flaw?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Loved HG -- didn't think CF was quite on the same level, but it was still good and set up the final installment very well.

I adore the love triangle. I'd lay odds that we'll have a "Casablanca" finish -- Katniss will go with Peeta, for the sake of the cause, and Gale will accept it, but she'll never really know which of them she loves more.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I'm just going to come out and say that Peeta's pure, undying devotion makes me groan a little. Could he please have a flaw?

I actually thought that this pathetic puppy dog like quality of Peeta's WAS his fatal flaw. It's like death by devotion. He's just not at all a tough guy and in the arena you need to be tough. Plus he's ridiculously selfless (when it comes to Katniss). Also a flaw when taken to the extreme, imo.

I like it when characters' weaknesses and flaws are the same qualities. Makes for interesting reading, to me. But I can totally understand where you're coming from with the groan-worthiness.

Also, I really liked HG and Catching Fire. Recommended them to a lot of people, who've also loved HG and Catching Fire. Everyone's read their way through both books in a day or two, which is saying something for its page-turning qualities :D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I havne't read the book, but I'm going to bet 100 bucks on a the love triangle becoming a Ménage à trois.

Because it has to happen in at least ONE book not written by me...