Jodi Picoult and why I love her

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know why I love her so much?

Because, unlike so many mainstream authors who pump out book after book, I can actually see the growth in her writing.

Her older stuff is decent. More romance than her newer stuff. But her writing is just okay - a lot of head-hopping and such in her narrative, and the stories were interesting, but not gripping. Different, but not...amazing. Her prose was always though, IMO, beautifully written.

Her new stuff though - she goes out on the limb and writes about hardcore, real issues! School shootings, missing children, Aspergar's Disease. She does the research. Her characters are more developed, more real. She gets inside their heads and makes us see things from a different point of view.

I was telling this to my SO last night, and though he joins in the conversation and nods his understanding and doesn't make me feel silly in the least, he is not only not a writer, but he's not really a reader either (unless you include news articles, and the Playboy advice column lol), I wanted to share this with other readers/writers and see what you guys thought.

Know of any other author who you've seen grow through the years rather than fall into a pattern like so many seem to do?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many SFF genre writers that I love have a couple of kinda lousy novels that they put out before they became really super awesome. China Mieville has "King Rat", Neal Stephenson has "The Big U" (which actually is my favorite of his, but he was so embarrassed about it that he even didn't want it reprinted...until he found out fans were paying hundreds of bucks to buy used copies on ebay). Vernor Vinge has some fairly goofy crap that preceded his really brilliant work. Sir Terry of Pratchett's first books sort of suck (tiny people living in your carpet...humorous cat anecdotes...painfully bad sci-fi). I like all these kinda lousy books, but they can't compare at all to the greatness of their later stuff.

That said, I can't stand Jodi Picoult's books! Mainly because killing children to generate reader emotion is the writerly equivalent of shooting very large ducks in a very small barrel. And she loves to kill off children (umm, fictional ones that is). Besides that, her stuff is pretty predictable. She does do a great job of getting inside the psychology of the troubled close-knit family unit, but ultimately I am not a fan.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
She has a format that she follows and for that reason I can't get into her novels.

That being said, a lot of people like her stuff. I'm just not a fan.

angie828

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I have never read any of her books but have seen a movie advertised on TV that was based on one of her books. It looked pretty interesting, so I may have to check this author out. Any suggestions on what book to start with?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
That said, I can't stand Jodi Picoult's books! Mainly because killing children to generate reader emotion is the writerly equivalent of shooting very large ducks in a very small barrel. And she loves to kill off children (umm, fictional ones that is). Besides that, her stuff is pretty predictable. She does do a great job of getting inside the psychology of the troubled close-knit family unit, but ultimately I am not a fan.

qft

Reaction score
I will never, ever forgive her for that piece of shit My Sister's Keeper.

RSned05

Registered
Reaction score
Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors also. I really enjoyed My Sister's Keeper and Handle with Care. The only real problem I have with her novels is the whole trial aspect. I like the real life issues, I just wish that every one of her books didn't have a trial at the end.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed some of Picoult's work, but the book that did me in was "The Tenth Circle." It was well-written, but I found the main characters (husband, wife, daughter) so unsympathetic and unlikeable that I found it difficult to finish.

bri_ness

Registered
Reaction score
Jodi Picoult's books are pretty hit and miss with me, but I still consider her to be one of my favourite authors because the books I love of hers, I really love. She writes some incredibly unlikeable characters, but gets me to sympathize with them. Nineteen Minutes got me to care about someone who did something awful, and I loved that about it.

My other favourites are The Pact and, yes, My Sister's Keeper. Didn't like the ending of the latter, though.

ceenindee

Registered
Reaction score
I have never read any of her books but have seen a movie advertised on TV that was based on one of her books. It looked pretty interesting, so I may have to check this author out. Any suggestions on what book to start with?

The movie (My Sister's Keeper, I'm guessing) wasn't that great IMHO, but the book it's based off is one of my favorites by any author, and probably her most popular one. I'd gladly recommend it.

I haven't read enough Piccoult to see how she's grown, but I love her writing style. I'm trying to think who else has done this...maybe Stephen King? I wouldn't say it got better, but you can definitely notice it changing.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Have yet to read any of her books, but I will. A friend gave me a few copies she didn't want anymore. And I haven't watched the movie My Sister's Keeper, because I want to read the book first.

Last edited:

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
.....My other favourites are The Pact and, yes, My Sister's Keeper. Didn't like the ending of the latter, though.

My students love My Sisters Keeper. I read the Pact for a book club and disliked it. I don't want to say too much here cause I don't want to spoil it for people. However the teenage girl's reasons for doing what she did had me scratching my head. I couldn't believe it.

RedRose

By any other name...
Registered
Reaction score
I tried reading her new one, I can't even remember the title. It had a kid with Asperger's in it. Some parts were interesting, other parts boring. It doesn't matter how well you write with me, if the story is boring, I won't continue.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I tried reading her new one, I can't even remember the title. It had a kid with Asperger's in it. Some parts were interesting, other parts boring. It doesn't matter how well you write with me, if the story is boring, I won't continue.

Aw, that's sad to me. I thought this book was very good. I know a lot of people on here didn't like her after reading My Sister's Keeper - it's true the ending was frustrating, but...I don't know. I still love her.

So far, there's only been one book that pissed me off. Some of her earlier stuff, i can't think of the title right now, had nothing to do with a trial and was actually totally different from her more current stuff.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I think its fantastic you found an author you can connect with- that is a wonderful thing
As for this particular author- I could give you as many reasons why I dislike her as you give for loving her- but that's ok- you would probably not like my favorite either. But wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same thing?:tongue

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've only read My Sister's Keeper, and I wasn't impressed. Is it a typical Picoult, or should I give another of her books a try?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
My wife loves Jodi Piccolo (how I pronounce it to frustrate her, lol).

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that Picoult's books are very formulaic and they certainly don't sound like something I want to read. Perhaps one day I might read one, when I have more free time.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The movie (My Sister's Keeper, I'm guessing) wasn't that great IMHO, but the book it's based off is one of my favorites by any author, and probably her most popular one. I'd gladly recommend it.

I haven't read enough Piccoult to see how she's grown, but I love her writing style. I'm trying to think who else has done this...maybe Stephen King? I wouldn't say it got better, but you can definitely notice it changing.

I totally thought I wrote this post because I've used that snoopy avatar.
I was thinking, as I read it, "Holy crap, I like My Sister's Keeper?"

ceenindee

Registered
Reaction score
^Hahaha! Sometimes I think I'm you, too. Snoopy's awesome. :D

I guess I'm weird...I actually liked MSK for it's ending. I feel like anything else just would've been sadness for sadness' sake (*coughthemoviecough*).

Southern Girl

Prayer in a tango
Registered
Reaction score
Do you know why I love her so much?

Because, unlike so many mainstream authors who pump out book after book, I can actually see the growth in her writing.

Her older stuff is decent. More romance than her newer stuff. But her writing is just okay - a lot of head-hopping and such in her narrative, and the stories were interesting, but not gripping. Different, but not...amazing. Her prose was always though, IMO, beautifully written.

Her new stuff though - she goes out on the limb and writes about hardcore, real issues! School shootings, missing children, Aspergar's Disease. She does the research. Her characters are more developed, more real. She gets inside their heads and makes us see things from a different point of view.

I was telling this to my SO last night, and though he joins in the conversation and nods his understanding and doesn't make me feel silly in the least, he is not only not a writer, but he's not really a reader either (unless you include news articles, and the Playboy advice column lol), I wanted to share this with other readers/writers and see what you guys thought.

Know of any other author who you've seen grow through the years rather than fall into a pattern like so many seem to do?

I was in the bookstore the other day and happened across one of her books. I thought exactly the same thing.

That said, she isn't a favorite of mine. I have a hard time with her pacing.

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
I worked as a reporter in NH last year and she interviewed/hung out with one of the local kids who had "brittle bone" disease for one of her books. I was able to conduct and interview with her and she is an amazingly lovely woman. She definitely cares about her subject matter. The family she worked with for her research didn't have enough good things to say about how she handled something they deal with everyday.

InsanitySquares

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I've only read My Sister's Keeper (loads of people I know have seen the film, so I thought I'd try the book from the library) and I did quite like it. The ending was a bit odd, but in reflection, a kind of necessary. Like, that final twist. I think I'll try a couple more of her books, just to see what they're like, but if they're all similar I may get bored after a while. Don't know until you try, though.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
I've only read Nineteen Minutes, and I thought it was fantastic.

Haven't picked up another yet because of my big fat To Be Read pile and all the talk about her books being formulaic has me nervous.