The Storyteller's Daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
For the past three days, while working at the library, I read this book whenever I had nothing to do. Anyone who knows the story of 1001 nights will recognize the plot.

The story concerns the blind daughter of a storyteller who gives herself as a bride to a king who because of his wife's betrayal and curse before she died, closed his heart to love and vowed that any woman he married would be put to death after one day. Because of this proclaimation, the once loved king is now feared and hated by his people. Determined to heal the king's heart, she tells tales that fascinate him so much, he puts off the executions. As time goes on, their relationship grows and the king's emotional wounds begin to heal. But when the brothers of his treacherous queen plot revenge against him, having one of their own work in the palace as their spy, their love will be put to the test, a test that will heal not just a king's heart, but his own kingdom.

I really enjoyed this piece of historical fiction. The tales told were fascinating and interesting, and the themes of seeing with your heart and not your eyes strengthened the story. I also liked how the brother working in the palace as a spy for his brothers eager for revenge ultimately helps save the day and redeem himself. I found characters to like and characters not to like. The bad guys and treacherous queen are all shown as completely unlikeable with no positive or redeeming qualities. But other than these flaws, it was a good read and I recommend it.

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
I believe readers will recognize this as "Arabian Nights?" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.