Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. Rereading and reflections

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Like many of you MF (Mrs. Frisby et al for short) was a favorite book of my childhood. It was the kind of book I could read over and over. And I did, too.

I'm older now, almost 40, and picked up the book again and have been rereading it. I'm trying to enjoy it as a reader, but the nitpicky writer in me keeps flagging things that sometimes are wtf moments.

So, before I continue, I guess then a children's book doesn't necessarily have to have the logic that an adult novel might need. Children readers won't notice the inconsistencies. Or is that just bad writing? What do you think, as a writer?

For instance.

Voice. All characters sound exactly the same. Whether it's Mrs. Frisby, the crow, Mr. Ages, Nicodemus, Justin, the owl, even Mr. Fitzgibbon the farmer. Nobody talks uniquely.

POV. The whole book is in Mrs. Frisby's POV, there's no head-hopping that I've noticed. However, there are lines that occur that Mrs. Frisby couldn't possibly know, like when they're talking about bulldozing the rose bush. She didn't want to see that happen. The narrative line says, "Roses were Mrs. Fitzgibbon's favorite flower" or something. If this was in Mrs. Frisby (who was present for this exchange), how could she know that roses were Mrs. Fitzgibbon's favorite? And why would the narration need to even mention it? Wouldn't this make it omnicient POV?

Things the Rats Do. I get that they were all bred for intelligence and size etc. I know they were taught to read. I think it's strange that they understand American language and customs so well for things they've never been exposed to. Is this just suspension of disbelief? Such as using terms like hours, minutes, days, feet, miles, etc. Since these are mice and rats, how could they have any concept of an "hour?"

One thing that's always bugged me, even since when I read it as a kid. In Nicodemus's office, Mrs. Frisby observes that a little electric clock is on the shelf. Even as a kid, I said, "How does a rat build a functioning electric clock? Said clock couldn't be more than an inch long. Where does he get the microscopic components?" (I was always into electronics, even at a young age.) Secondly, there is a library in the underground rats' lair. Justin points out that "some new books" have recently arrived. Where did all these tiny books come from? How could they be "new?" I was questioning this too when I was a kid.

Still though, MF is a great read and a wonderful adventure. I just can't help but note the inconsistencies.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do think that a kid's book needs the same internal consistency that an adult book has. That said, some books have different levels of whimsicality, like impossibly tiny clocks. Given that this world is populated by talking animals, the level is pretty high.

As far as stuff that seems to be error--I dunno, given strong enough storytelling, personally I'm willing to forgive that kind of stuff.

I love the book. And I love the movie, bordering on obsession. And some other author wrote two (authorized?) sequels and I loved those too!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
IMHO the issue of scaling technology and picking up American tropes is being a little to literal about what is essentially a fable. I don't remember wondering about any of these things when I read these books back in my single-digit years....