A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian by Marina Lewycka

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A recent addition to my "best debuts ever". Ok, it was published a few years ago, I'm late to the party, but I couldn't find any other threads on the subject.

The title alone is inspired. As is the opening paragraph, with the "pink fluffy grenade giving the family ghosts a kick up the backside". As is the characterisation: the gold-digging Valentina, the idealist sister and the cynical sister who must put aside their differences to deal with this threat to their family, the father who is simultaneously ridiculous and touching.

Marina Lewycka is now on my list of must-read authors.

lucky8

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it as well which I seem to remember being surprised about. I only picked it up because I saw it second hand in Oxfam and recognised the title. I can't really remember much about it now so may have to get it out and have another read.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Never read it, but I remember the title and I always will. Hope the content of the story is as original and funny.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
finally a book about tractors!

Finally, a book about UKRAINIAN tractors! About time, too!
I read this book some time ago but I can't remember it very well. A book has to be particularly good or particularly bad to make me remember it, as I read so much. So I guess, for me it was a fairly good book!