Brethren by Robyn Young

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone read any of the novels, or the whole trilogy, by Robyn Young? Any thoughts about it?

Reading the first one, Brethren, right now and I have to say it is well written but it goes slow because of all of the descriptions. The atmosphere created is a sort of Hollywoodian-medieval-style "Kingdom of Heaven" but it managed to do the job. This is my 3rd attempt - first time I dropped it after 10 pages, second time 25, and now I picked it up again. I managed to get past 50 so it's going good now.

Any thoughts? :)

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
I read the first one, but only because someone I know has the same agent as Robyn Young (or at least they did-don't know about now). I wanted to see what it was about the writing/story that made the agent pick it up in case they were someone I should add to my query list. Having a mild interest in the Templars it wasn't a difficult thing to do.

I found it a reasonable enough read, with good, but not brilliant writing (lots of passive stuff that my internal editor kept stalling on and wanting to change). I can't really speak to its historical accuracy. I think she probably glossed over a lot of the associated doctrine/dogma that brought the order in to existence and drove it forward. It's certainly a far cry from e.g. "Deus Lo Volt" by Evan S. Connell. If I see book two on discount somewhere then I will probably get it. I know the last book is out too: "Requiem".

Last edited: