The Absence of Nectar by Kathy Hepinstall

randywrite

MySky
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here at AW has read "The Absence of Nectar" by Kathy Hepinstall. It's one of my favorite books. It's remarkable and has even been compared to Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird".

Also, if anyone has read books that are like these, I'd like to know which ones they are.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
I've read all of Kathy's books. She's an amazing writer and I think here imagery and prose is some of the best out there. This is coming from somebody who's normal fare is epic fantasy. To get me to read, and enjoy, general literature is quite a feat. She's also very funny and a very nice person.

I loved the characters although Alice is a bit too sharp for a girl her age. I can live with that though because she still thinks like a child. I love how she makes sacrifices of her treasured items. The dog and the frog made me laugh too. It is a creative book and although the plot isn't exactly super deep, the characters definitely are. And, it's a feast to read.

House of Gentle Men (her first published novel)
Prince of Lost Places (not her title, she never really liked it much)

Hopefully, we'll see another book from her soon.

randywrite

MySky
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What genre would Kathy's books best fit? I was just really sucked in by her characters and the plot, as I see you were. :)

I'm not good at classifying novels...except the easy stuff, like sci fi, and horror.

Whatcha think? ;)

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
She called her stuff "gothic literature" when I asked. I would call AoN a thriller for the most part. Her writing style is so rich that it certainly isn't your formula type of thriller. Other than that, I couldn't really classify them. They are well written stories and I think most people would classify them as non-genre literature.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to give this a bump to see if anybody out there in AW land has read any of Heppinstall's work and what they thought of it.