Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I am reading Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) which I got as an anniversary gift. I'm only about 1/4 of the way into it, but I am loving it. The language and the story really pulled me in. I really probably shouldn't post here until I'm further through, but I wanted to ask to see if anyone else has read it. (And in a few days when I'm finished, hopefully there will be some discussion here for me to read!). :)

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
One of my top 5 books of all time. I read it in the mid nineties, my first Marquez book. So beautfiful, so poetic! Made me wish I could read it in Spanish so as not to lose anything in the translation.

I have read nearly all his books since. Maybe two or three left to read as of now. I'll get around to it. His novellas are lovely too, and short story collection, Innocent Erindira. Very easy reads.

I found 100 Years of Solitude excellent in parts and too esoteric in others. Overall, I did not enjoy it half as much as Cholera.

If you like Marquez, may I suggest Of Love and Other Demons as your next Marquez book? From there, you can go on to read any of his books and come to appreciate his style.

ENJOY!!!!

Eumenides

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's his best novel after One Hundred Years of Solitude. It's such a funny, inventive, poignant love story.

Strychnine

Registered
Reaction score
I've read Chronicle of a Death Foretold and it was brilliant, and funny, and just great really. I haven't read anything else but, it seems I really should!

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
BTW, in some parts of this bilingual country, his books are shelved with the M's, in other parts, with the G's. His Spanish name is not Marquez, but Garcia Marquez.

(In my neighborhood, in fact, to find works by any author with three names, it's often easier to let the B&N personnel lead the way.)

That said, with the comments here I'm going to put Love In The Time Of Cholera on my to-buy list.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
If you like Marquez, may I suggest Of Love and Other Demons as your next Marquez book? From there, you can go on to read any of his books and come to appreciate his style.

ENJOY!!!!

I will add that one to my list. I finished Cholera last night; I took a little longer to finish than I thought I would. I'm still not sure what I think of Florentino. At times, he seemed like a bit of an odd duck. I did enjoy the novel though; I loved Fermina's character and how strong she was.