Please...help me find this book! [Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling by Michael Boccacino]

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever come across an intriguing book but didn't have a) enough money to buy it, or b) enough common sense to make a note of the title? This happened to me about a month ago.

The novel in question - a newly published paperback - was set in Victorian England and was about a woman who takes a job looking after two children whose previous governess was 'orribly murdered. It sounds rather like a reworking of The Turn of the Screw, but there was also a Fairyland/fantasy element. I can't remember the author's surname but it sounded Italian.

I know this isn't very helpful, but I'd be most grateful if one of you knowledgable literary types could help me out!

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Oh! I bought what I think have been that one before I moved. But for the life of me I can't remember the name! I can remember the UK cover - a pen-and-ink style representation of a hosue in a woodland clearing, and I remember every detail of the plot and even some of the lines, but I can't remember the name.

Let me apply my google fu.

Edit: Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling?

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! I bought what I think have been that one before I moved. But for the life of me I can't remember the name! I can remember the UK cover - a pen-and-ink style representation of a hosue in a woodland clearing, and I remember every detail of the plot and even some of the lines, but I can't remember the name.

Let me apply my google fu.

Edit: Charlotte Markham and the House of Darkling?

Oh, thank God - this has been driving me mad for weeks. Your google-fu is obviously better than mine!