Johannes Cabal series by Jonathan L. Howard

PineMarten

A real pine marten!
Registered
Reaction score
I found this mentioned across several posts in passing by using the search, but it didn't (seem to) have its own thread. So here it is.

I loved the first book in the series and must have more Johannes-Cabal-the-character. The book gave me a villain-protagonist -- a weakness of mine -- and dragged him down even further, while still giving him flashes of humanity as he fell. And it was genuinely funny.

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer #1 on GoodReads

Here comes the inevitable request -- my library has book three, but not book two. Is it okay to skip that one and try to acquire it while reading book three? Will I miss any important info? I got spoiled on a few interesting developments in the Dresden files that way.

I couldn't wait to find out. The third book is already read and I have my answer -- you won't have any book #2 spoilers thrust upon you. That you'll recognise.

I'm glad I read them in this order though. Book #3 ends on a cliffhanger, book #4 doesn't exist yet, and I still have book #2 to sustain me until it does.

While the third book wasn't as good as the first (and had a number of typos) it's still 5/5 from me. I have no idea why I react as strongly as I do to this series, but I love it.

Unfortunately, I've just discovered Tumblr. This may take a while...

Last edited:

SJNew

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thelanguageofimagination.blogspot.co.uk
I read the first one earlier this year and pretty much fell in love with the series. I haven't had time to read two or three yet because I've been so busy with university work but they're top of my to-read list once I have some free reading time.

I'd love to see the series get more recognition (and maybe a movie ;) ) because it certainly deserves it.

PineMarten

A real pine marten!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the second wasn't as good as the first (by about half a star), but I loved it regardless. I'm now in the process of tracking down the short stories -- I'll be making an online order for the anthology very soon.

But Johannes is awesome and I'm glad someone else agrees. :)

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Yayay! Another Johannes fan!

I went to the bookstore to look up this book on a lark. When I got there, I had left the information at home and while being surrounded by all the other delicious books, I had forgotten everything about the book. The title, the author, the name of the mc. All I remembered was the cover.

The bookstore employee that helped me really came through like a champ and with the scant information provided...still managed to find the book for me. It was the last one in the store and it had been misshelved as well.

After all that trouble I would have been disappointed if the book sucked, but was so pleasantly surprised when it didn't!