Lucy Maud Montgomery: Gift of Wings, by Mary H. Rubio

Brn2bwild

Registered
Reaction score
I sucked this down not too long ago -- probably the most comprehensive biography of L.M. Montgomery to date.

It was surprisingly sad. I didn't know much about L.M. Montgomery before I read this novel, but lest we think that our problems will be solved by becoming famous... If anything, it was after Anne of Green Gables that her worst problems began.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
L.M. Montgomery's diaries have been out for years, so I already knew much of it. And I watched all of the documentaries on her.

People aren't 100% sure what her cousin/husband had.

She was a huge flirt when she was younger.

Oh and she's written a lot on orphans and adoption too, and probably better than most of the Western world in general, nailing the feelings, etc since she experienced something like it. (If you read all of the ones with orphans in them, it also gives a really good range as well, especially for the time period.)

It is worth reading the diaries. Starts ever-so-dramatically by stating she burned her diaries from age 9 and before. Also goes into how she was into this one guy that was below her class level.

I really liked Blue Castle (which was plagiarized by another author after it was published...) and Kilmeny of the Orchard too. And I like Emily of New Moon better than Anne of Green Gables. (Whom L.M. Montgomery detested later in life... though Emily of New Moon was based a bit more closely on her own life.)

Brn2bwild

Registered
Reaction score
L.M. Montgomery's diaries have been out for years, so I already knew much of it. And I watched all of the documentaries on her.

I hadn't read the journals about her beforehand, but supposedly people who knew her were shocked by how differently she came across.

People aren't 100% sure what her cousin/husband had.

The author of this book seemed to think it was normal depression worsened by the barbiturates he was prescribed.

It is worth reading the diaries. Starts ever-so-dramatically by stating she burned her diaries from age 9 and before. Also goes into how she was into this one guy that was below her class level.

I really liked Blue Castle (which was plagiarized by another author after it was published...) and Kilmeny of the Orchard too. And I like Emily of New Moon better than Anne of Green Gables. (Whom L.M. Montgomery detested later in life... though Emily of New Moon was based a bit more closely on her own life.)

I'd like to read the diaries. And I'm with you on preferring Emily to Anne. When I read Anne, I get depressed thinking that she ends up a housewife and an echo of her former self in the later novels.