The Pacific Between, by Raymond K. Wong

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The man himself is okay with us discussing it here and I know many AWers have read, The Pacific Between. So, let's hear it!

Cabinscribe

Often ignored by muses
Registered
Reaction score
No kidding, I just, no more than 15 minutes ago, ordered this book!

So, I'll be back soon to join the discussion!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be in, but I've got to allow a week's shipping, and then reading time. I'll probably miss the boat. Ironic, given that I live on the Pacific.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I've been in book clubs and since the wine is vrtual, just pour yourself a glass and discuss your favorite plot points, or images or characters. No rules. Don't worry about spoilers, only people who've read should be peeking anyway.

And since we have the author handy, pose a question!

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
poetinahat said:
I'd be in, but I've got to allow a week's shipping, and then reading time. I'll probably miss the boat. Ironic, given that I live on the Pacific.

Me, too! I ordered it last week! I'll re-visit when I've got it and read it! :)

lauram

Freddie Mercury Devotee
Registered
Reaction score
good book

I liked it. I, too, read it in about two days. Maybe three. Can't remember. :)
Anyway, I liked it. I have a little trouble believing that a guy would have a heart attack and run over his wife though. :) I think that it's possible but not too common. Maybe that's why it stuck out in my mind. Then again, fiction shouldn't limit itself to the tame and the common.

So, Raymond (if you're lurking), was the mom standing behind the car on a downward sloping driveway? Forgive me if you specified in the book, but I don't remember reading an explanation. My short term memory leaves much to be desired, I confess.

I really liked the sordid family ties. That's what kept me in the story the most I think.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I'm in; I read it and really enjoyed it. Maybe we shoud wait for the others to catch up, though, and maybe I need to reread it, just to have it fresh in my mind.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Nique Zoolio said:
sharon, how did you get a copy in Blighty?

The Author sent me a copy! (we exchanged books).

That's another point; it would be good if in general the chosen books were published in BOTH US and UK, to save us shipping costs, which can be prohibitive transatlantic, not to mention to Australia.
UK books are usually also available in Australia, btw.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent book, adorable author.

It was really interesting to me, thinking back on all of the changes that Greg made during the few short weeks, or a little more than a month, after his parents dies, how quickly he was able to make those changes. Then I started to think about all of the transitions he had to face in just those few weeks and how many physical changes happened in his life. When you face that much change and death and memory, you're bound to change drastically or at least allow your true self to become exposed.

The title really struck me, in light of all of those transitions. And how the Pacific was between Greg and most of the other characters, living and dead. But it was really a great big ocean between him and his actual life, the one he was supposed to be living, the one where he was happy.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked trying to figure out which woman Greg would end up with. I was rooting for Kate. (maybe the name has something to do with it?)

But seriously, that's my own preference that the guy should end up with a woman who's not "perfect".

Just some random thoughts: When I was reading about Lian and there was a passage about her walking very slowly("she has a slow and lithe walk, almost as if she's dancing on air"), her mannerisms, etc., I laughed because I was thinking that I wish I was more like her. I always walk really fast, do things really quickly, always in a hurry. I wonder if it's a cultural thing. Is the daily pace in Asia much slower than here? Americans are always in a hurry.

I liked the character Old Chow, thought he was really funny and helped lighten up the tone of the novel.

Also liked the very poetic descriptions of the scenery, etc.
Thought it was interesting how he titled the chapters. Not many authors do that, do they?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
rhymegirl said:
Just some random thoughts: When I was reading about Lian and there was a passage about her walking very slowly("she has a slow and lithe walk, almost as if she's dancing on air"), her mannerisms, etc., I laughed because I was thinking that I wish I was more like her. I always walk really fast, do things really quickly, always in a hurry. ?

Same here. She gave me a feeling of serenity, inner beauty, that I felt I lack. But also, I wanted her to be not quite so perfect.

I felt from the start that Greg was not so much in love with her, but in love with an image of her perfection. She in fact reminded me of a Chinese woman I met while I was in the US in 1981. She was so beautiful, so radiant, and it seemed to come from within. Her name was Polly and she was a shoe saleswoman, and I never forgot her face; and Lian became her for me.

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I confess and I have admitted as much to Ray, I fell in love with the main character. He is vulnerable, sensative and made mistakes. (Ray said it wasn't him) I loved the poetic descriptions of the landscape. It was like being there. A good read and like others in this thread, I had trouble putting it down. Luckily I was on vacation at that time and could really get into a reading frenzy. I look forward to the next book by this author.

Sarah Skilton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahskilton.com
Read it in one night, babies!! :)

I enjoyed the experience of traveling to Hong Kong with the characters. I really felt as though I was there with them; inhaling the smell of the sea and the delectable odors from the food. Wonderful descriptions and evocative experiences, not to mention compelling relationships.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I too read it fairly quickly. In fact, I'm still reading a sci-fi novel by an author I quite like that I started long before I picked up my copy of TPB. Mind you, Ray's my long lost twin brother, so everything got put on the back burner while I dove into his book.

My fave character was Old Chow too. He was the perfect counterbalance to the seriousness of the rest of the story. All the characters were distinctly drawn. I've read some books where everyone seems the same, but Ray didn't fall into that trap. Good job.

Being Canadian, I was intrigued by Hong Kong. By the end of the book, I wanted to go see if I could find these places like the hotel and the cave by the water.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I also really liked Old Chow. And Agnes. They're real people who aren't beautiful or perfect, yet they make a life for themselves anyhow.

I agree with Chunky on the characterization thing.

Ray, how did you create these characters? Did you model them on folks you know, or did you create character sheets, or what?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yeshanu said:
Ray, how did you create these characters? Did you model them on folks you know, or did you create character sheets, or what?

(disclaimer: I didn't want to butt in because I think it's a little hokey for me to participate in this thread... But, I want to answer this one question)

Ruth, my characters usually come to me. They speak to me and tell me stories and they all have their own voices. I don't do character sheets, etc. because I don't feel like I am the one MAKING them. They're not toys to me. Sure, if I really look, I can realize people I know in my life in these characters (including part of myself). And yes, I do give them attributes like "she has brown hair and green eyes" and I interview them about their backgrounds, etc. But mostly, they come to me and I just report on what I see... And as far as the personality and "soul" are concerned, these characters usually just invent themselves...

Does that make sense? I know different writers do different things. But for me, at least that's how it works.

(going back into my shell now)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was interesting, Ray. I really thought your characters were based on people you know, people you've met. And I kept wondering while I was reading it if Greg is supposed to be you (or maybe I should say whether he has your way of looking at things.) But Paint just told us otherwise.

In my stories, I always use people I know or bits and pieces of people I've met.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Cheryll

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. And I have to say that it's usually very hard for me to read an entire novel written in 2nd person, so it HAS to be really good!

The characters and plot were fleshed out very well, and I like how
Ray used all 5 senses to describe things (food smells, sounds, etc.) And he gives the reader a feel for Hong Kong without sounding like a travel brochure. LOL

It was interesting to see how Greg's character changes and grows as the book progresses. And I loved Old Chow and Agnes! Great characters that stick with you long after you've finished the book.

Cheryll

06-11-2006, 09:14 PM
SC Harrison

I just started reading The Pacific Between, so I'm going to run away before I see any spoilers.

06-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Cabinscribe

At last I've found this thread!

I had just gotten the book, then the Boards were down ...

Anyway, I really enjoyed the book! I read it in about two days. I don't usually read contemporary fiction, so the fact that this book held my interest says a lot.

I was impressed with the character development. There are gay characters, older characters, and a handicapped character, who were fully-developed personalities, not merely two-dimensional caricatures.

The pacing was good. It held my interest, but slowed down when it needed to.

Also, the book develops love and human relationships in a meaningful way and in many dimensions; "romance" is not portrayed as something in which only young and attractive people can participate.

I left it with a feeling of "things (people) aren't always as they seem to be."

Way to go Ray!!! I really think your book is great!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished this book yesterday.

What struck me was a conversation Greg had with Lian where she points out that love isn't finding someone to make you happy, but finding someone to give to. I'm finding that to be true in my own life. Make yourself happy, give to those you love. Great!!!

I also liked the characters. There weren't any throw aways, everyone had a purpose, even if it was to pass out fliers. Having moved a lot, I appreciated the way Greg found friendship with Agnes, who he had viewed as an adversary in his youth. That is so true. DIstance and time makes those who knew us when an ally somehow. Also, in adulthood, we see things differently than we did as kids.

I was rooting for Kate too. I think that was part of the point, which I picked up on early, Greg wasn't in love with Lian, he was in love with the idea of Lian. He just had to figure that out for himself. The journey was a great read.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I ordered it at my BnN in Euless, but left for Vancouver before it could arrive...

However, I will say that I've heard from reliable non-AW sources that this book is extremely good, and should be read by the world.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
No posts on this thread in over a year? <blows dust from thread> Here's my Amazon review:

I usually don't read this type of novel and having read the Publisher's Weekly review, I was prepared for a drawn-out melodrama, but I found myself utterly sucked in to The Pacific Between. I could not put this book down!

Raymond Wong's debut novel is not only filled with insight about the nature of love, maturity, and forgiveness, it's told in a thoroughly engaging and honest manner. All the characters were well-developed, believable and interesting. Greg's whiplash journey to uncover his past and ultimately understand his future was touching and vivid. I can't wait to read Raymond's next novel!

What I didn't write was...
[Now if only Ray would stop posting about how much he enjoys being naked and get busy finishing that next novel . . .]